Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Noise coming from drivers side Front suspension area (on a 2011...)

Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Noise coming from drivers side Front suspension area (on a 2011...)

Hi guys, need some help trying to figure out a problem. Possibly steering stem, before steering box?

My truck has 18,000 easy miles on it (no offroading). In the last 1'000 miles I noticed when driving on bumpy streets or manholes I could hear a loose nocking sound near the left front, wouldn't really call it a rattle but it seems more like metal in contact with a solid plastic or rubber... Or maybe metal on aluminum. If the bumps are one after the other this sound is fast to react with a clunk, clank, knock, knock, its usually a one for one click per bump... or whatever best describes the contact noise

Last Friday I brought my 2011 in a for it's 5,000 mile service. I asked the dealer to check it out, "all done sir, our tech couldn't duplicate noise". I asked for different more experienced guy (not oil chage kid) to go for a ride with me. So they accomadated me forthe drive along, we never left the parking lot and drove around between all the parked vehicles to their dealerships only bump location (one small pothole) , the good news is that even the one pothole reproduceed it. He said it was the suspension so would bring it back into the shop? I could see they were falling behind on their service schedule or everything was hurry hurry.

I was sent back to the waiting room, five minutes later service person says "all done". I asked what he did, he said that he couldn't see anything loose but tightened all the suspension bolts. He said they would need to make a designated appointment to diagnose the click over a bump.

I dread bringing it back to play this game (warranty or not).

Hmmm, I knew it wasn't a vibration but moreso a one-noise per bump issue. I reached around and found nothing loose. Then I grabbed my steering going into the steering box and there was some play. Also if you moved it then it could simulate a knocking noise.

I searched the forums for this and found nothing common is out there that I could find. Is it normal for the steering stem to be able to move as it goes into the steering gearbox. Don't think it could be wear because the vehicle is one year old with 18k miles on it?

Before I waste another afternoon and get sent to the dreaded waiting room at the dealership, I'd like to have some background if this (steering stem slap) is normal or not.

Makes me wonder, would it do it over bumps even if the wheel is turned but pressure on the steering shaft (into cast steering box)?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
While removing dried wax from the driver side fender (forward and back) I found the clunk I've been hearing,,,,,the fender was LOOSE! I tightened the fender up and it's quiet as a.....Cadillac....or Bentley.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
While removing dried wax from the driver side fender (forward and back) I found the clunk I've been hearing,,,,,the fender was LOOSE! I tightened the fender up and it's quiet as a.....
Thanks for the reply. I just tugged all over on the fender and all was tight. However the fuse box cover was kind of sloppy loose plastic... Don't know if thats it or not, need to find a bumpy road that I can designate to listening. Actually could be he inner fender plastic.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Hey liteguide, I've noticed this noise on mine as well ever since the first 2,000 miles or so. I figured it was just a "feature" of the vehicle but now I'm going to investigate.

edit: http://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b332999/
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Fuse box also has a sloppy cover, cant say for sure... I wonder if it's that lower steering shaft.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
jpaw30 is on a distinguished road
jpaw30's Tacoma Gallery
Im hearing a clicking sound from my drivers side when going slow with the window down.

Its sound similar to a brake click when they start going bad but Im sure its not the brakes. Any ideas?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
johnanm will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Pilot
johnanm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaw30 View Post
Im hearing a clicking sound from my drivers side when going slow with the window down.

Its sound similar to a brake click when they start going bad but Im sure its not the brakes. Any ideas?
You probably have a rock stuck in your tire
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
jpaw30 is on a distinguished road
jpaw30's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanm View Post
You probably have a rock stuck in your tire

yeah I checked it for rocks when I heard it and nothing.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Jasonclayf66 is on a distinguished road
Jasonclayf66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just tugged all over on the fender and all was tight. However the fuse box cover was kind of sloppy loose plastic... Don't know if thats it or not, need to find a bumpy road that I can designate to listening. Actually could be he inner fender plastic.
I have also had this same problem with the fuse box cover. I taped it shut and the noise stopped. Dealer said there was nothing they could do. So basically I have to live with a taped up truck.