1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap home made cold air intake for 2.7L

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by ArmyTacoGuy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    ArmyTacoGuy

ArmyTacoGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Naples, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 2wd 2.7L
    black rim mod multi color LED's on floor boards Blacked out tail lights and headlights black emblems and white one in grille Police grade siren and PA system Glass Pack bull horn wired to radio in cab 10'' Kicker Bass House custom made intake hellogen bulbs Roof running lights aftermarket head unit
    i have a base model as most can tell, yes i have tried redneck lifting and such which was not a great idea but i got my mechanic friends help for this intake it should be pretty low cost to buy from autozone, but i got mine off a totaled honda civic. so anyway im sure most know about the spectra intake series, which most tuner guys buy for low budget intakes on honda's and such ricer cars. well get the 3 and half inch pipe with the 45 degree angle in it, it should have 2 holes on for a honda mass air flow censer, and one for some kind of breathing tube i think, and one filter and the ruber coupling. now remove your stoke intake its simple just be sure to remove the mass air flow censer as u need it to mark for cuts u need to make in the new tube. removal is simple just use your common sense. once removed u'll need a small drill bit and a small saws all. drill a hole in the new pipe between where the hole for a honda air flow censer go's and the end of the pipe, then set your air flow censer to the hole using the hole as a corner use a marker of a sort to mark the shape of your air censer, then take the saws all to it cuting where u marked, when complete u need a silicone sealer to seal around ur air flow censer then put 2 zip ties around it to hole in place til dry, be sure u put the censer the way of the air flow i didnt the first time and had to redo it, then connect ur new pipe to the stock housing for ur intake then put the filter on and start er up should run no issues i had check engine light come on my buddie plug it into the computer it said pist 1 was running rich it turned off after a week checked it out again no problems... picture of finished project sorry no pictures of the build

IMG_0707[1].jpg

2. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    You had a cold air intake stock and now you don't, you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay.

3. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's not a cold air intake, that's a hot air intake.

The factory intake is a cold air intake... draws from that hole in the fender that draws from next to the headlight.
    According to my Ultragauge, my intake air temperature is normally within 5-10 degrees of outside air temperature.

And Spectra filters are shit.
    They're cheap K&N clones... and K&N passes enough dirt to cause serious long term damage.

Do yourself a favor and for the next couple of oil changes send a sample of the used oil to Blackstone labs and watch your silicon levels slowly increase.
    That's dirt coming in through the intake and getting into the oil past the rings.
    It's scratching the cylinder walls on it's way in.

There's a reason you always see ricers leaving a red light with a puff of blue smoke.

4. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    HAI...

5. Jul 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    ArmyTacoGuy

ArmyTacoGuy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Naples, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 2wd 2.7L
    black rim mod multi color LED's on floor boards Blacked out tail lights and headlights black emblems and white one in grille Police grade siren and PA system Glass Pack bull horn wired to radio in cab 10'' Kicker Bass House custom made intake hellogen bulbs Roof running lights aftermarket head unit
    fellas i never said it was high quality "CHEAP" if i had a nice big truck i would never put the crap i have on my truck i have no problems with this tho, it has increase acceleration a little bit not much the main point was to get unrestricted air flow... not necessarily cold air.

6. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Herro. :wave:

7. Jul 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Unrestricted airflow has its benefits

8. Jul 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Tommy27

Tommy27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Boise,ID
    Vehicle:
    White 09 AC 4x4 2.7 5spd SR5
    Leer shell, Bed mat, Grill Guard
    This would be a good mod for winter driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top