Notices

Cheap home made cold air intake for 2.7L

Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
ArmyTacoGuy is on a distinguished road

Army: Bravo 3/116FA FLNG
Name: Jacob
ArmyTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Post Cheap home made cold air intake for 2.7L

i have a base model as most can tell, yes i have tried redneck lifting and such which was not a great idea but i got my mechanic friends help for this intake it should be pretty low cost to buy from autozone, but i got mine off a totaled honda civic. so anyway im sure most know about the spectra intake series, which most tuner guys buy for low budget intakes on honda's and such ricer cars. well get the 3 and half inch pipe with the 45 degree angle in it, it should have 2 holes on for a honda mass air flow censer, and one for some kind of breathing tube i think, and one filter and the ruber coupling. now remove your stoke intake its simple just be sure to remove the mass air flow censer as u need it to mark for cuts u need to make in the new tube. removal is simple just use your common sense. once removed u'll need a small drill bit and a small saws all. drill a hole in the new pipe between where the hole for a honda air flow censer go's and the end of the pipe, then set your air flow censer to the hole using the hole as a corner use a marker of a sort to mark the shape of your air censer, then take the saws all to it cuting where u marked, when complete u need a silicone sealer to seal around ur air flow censer then put 2 zip ties around it to hole in place til dry, be sure u put the censer the way of the air flow i didnt the first time and had to redo it, then connect ur new pipe to the stock housing for ur intake then put the filter on and start er up should run no issues i had check engine light come on my buddie plug it into the computer it said pist 1 was running rich it turned off after a week checked it out again no problems... picture of finished project sorry no pictures of the build
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap home made cold air intake for 2.7L-img_0707-1-.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
You had a cold air intake stock and now you don't, you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That's not a cold air intake, that's a hot air intake.

The factory intake is a cold air intake... draws from that hole in the fender that draws from next to the headlight.
According to my Ultragauge, my intake air temperature is normally within 5-10 degrees of outside air temperature.

And Spectra filters are shit.
They're cheap K&N clones... and K&N passes enough dirt to cause serious long term damage.

Do yourself a favor and for the next couple of oil changes send a sample of the used oil to Blackstone labs and watch your silicon levels slowly increase.
That's dirt coming in through the intake and getting into the oil past the rings.
It's scratching the cylinder walls on it's way in.

There's a reason you always see ricers leaving a red light with a puff of blue smoke.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
HAI...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
ArmyTacoGuy is on a distinguished road

Army: Bravo 3/116FA FLNG
Name: Jacob
ArmyTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
fellas i never said it was high quality "CHEAP" if i had a nice big truck i would never put the crap i have on my truck i have no problems with this tho, it has increase acceleration a little bit not much the main point was to get unrestricted air flow... not necessarily cold air.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
HAI...
Herro.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Unrestricted airflow has its benefits
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
This would be a good mod for winter driving.