Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

valve cover bolts

Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
fisherman
hornytoad is on a distinguished road

hornytoad's Tacoma Gallery
Question valve cover bolts

does anyone know the torque specs for the valve cover bolts .i have a 96 with 4cyl 2.7 3rz-fe iv got a oil leak from the valve cover gasket and want to replace the gasket.thanx in advance
Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I am prety sure it is 13ft. lbs. let me check in my haynes manual
Old 07-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, It is 15 ft. lbs. And you do not have to worry about torque pattern.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
fisherman

thanx goomba that was quick. now i can replace the gasket
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. If you need any other specs, or like info on how to do stuff I have that manual and will be glad to help. Just shoot me a pm.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
I believe your torque setting for the 4 bolts that hold the valve cover on are a little high. If there are just four nuts to torque on the top of the motor, then the torque settings are for 52 INCH Pounds, not Pound feet. I think the setting of 15 pounds will be too much for the valve cover and it may damage the bolts. I could only find a source that shows a 93 with a 3 RZ-FE engine rebuild and it show the settings. Here is a link to the page. http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/engine/7cylinder.pdf

Most valve covers that I have done, require the use of Inch/pounds settings and not foot/ Pound which would put a lot of torque on the cover and the bolts. Good Luck...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
You have a 4 cyl engine Ga tacoguy(thats what it says on ur profile), are there not 10 bolts holding down your valve cover? And the head and valve cover is the same on both 4 cyl engines(2.4 and 2.7), just not the internals. The reason I ask is because you said there are only 4 bolts, and from what I remember there are 10 bolts. and that is what my book says.

EDIT: NVM you have a 2nd gen
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
fisherman

my valve cover has 10 bolts.swaped out the gasket last night took me 30min.after i took off the cover i realized my torque wrench is broken so i just tightened the bolts hand tight then another 90degrees.i started it and idled the truck for 10min and no leaks.ill go back in next week and check for leaks.thanx goomba for the quick info