Notices

2.7, 5 speed?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
01 taco
Newbiegeneral is on a distinguished road
Name: randon
Newbiegeneral's Tacoma Gallery
2.7, 5 speed?

Alright Im looking at buying a 2001 2.7l 5 speed and its just a 2 seater, I plan on throwing a winch bumper on it full armor and maybe a leveling kit and some good off road tires. but not lifting it. would the 4 banger pull the weight of the armor and tires? Im not trying to fly just go anyway and be reliable.

thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
01 taco
No response yet, anyone have pictures of one trail ready
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Check out the build threads. I know stunt man hans has a reg cab with armor and the works.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

He is also a 2nd gen.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
4 Cylinder 4 Wheeling

For what it's worth: Back in the mid 80s, I had a friend with a Toyota 4x4 with a 4 cylinder. The memories of that truck still amazes me. He'd take it off road on a whim, sometimes climbing a hill or pulling over the snow banks to make tracks on someone's front lawn. I thought he was crazy when in 18 inches of snow, he'd toot the horn, wait for the owner to come to the front door and then take off in a shot. That truck never got stuck; just dug in and went! I'm sure that there are situations that would have done that trick, but the 4 wheeling he did in that truck which was akin to what you describe or maybe a bit more aggressive, made a lasting impression.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
as long as your tires don't go above 32's regearing isn't that big of an issue if your not lifting that shouldn't be a problem.

a set of 265-70-17 or 265-75-16 should fill things out nicely and not rub as far as the armor goes it depends on what bumper you go with. if your planning on adding a winch and running steel rope add around 100# for a warn m8000 or 9000 series winches. if you go synthetic like viking or amsteel blueyou can shave off around 40 to 50 pounds of cable pretty drastic.

hers what i would suggest talk to eric he owns relentless go with his aluminum front bumper they are solid as hell he builds them right frame straps gussets galore and they are very light compared to plate steel. then go for a winch and synthetic rope that should give you the set-up you want but, keep the weight reasonable so you won't have to swap in new springs.

as far as acceleration goes lol it should not really effect anything if you go this route but, if you ever wanted a fast truck you should have bought the v6 theres something about the 4cyl toyota trucks i just dig though.

hope this helps
Old 07-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
01 taco
Im loving my 4 banger :P found out its a 2.4, still moves along tho, I thought I was going to need to modify it to like it, but the more I drive it the more I love it!! I might do rims and some new tires before the armor, not going to hammer it out the mountain
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
when i shopped for stuff i tried to plan a build so that i could add future thing with out redoing my suspension. overtime you probably will add a front bumper they offer OUTSTANDING protection from animal strikes and other paint lickers on the road.

there is actually a thread right now of a guy who got into a head on accident doing 60+ mph and his arb basically bent in a little and distorted his hood a bit. the way he described the other car was is that the engine was in the passenger compartment.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
mechanically retarded

I remember seeing a picture of the aftermath of a crash like that a while back. It was head on and the other car was pretty much done, nothing but a few nicks on the bumper. The driver of the other car did survive.

Also check out this FJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsw3M5hhwzU
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
01 taco
Bad
ass, thats what I want to do first is a good bumper with a winch. I got it out today and just drove around nothing intense but just some offroading.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
01 taco
yes! its clean, I really liked the feel of this over my old jeep. it was smooth and just creeped. once i get armor bumper and some better tires, im going to really wheel it!!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiegeneral View Post
Im loving my 4 banger :P found out its a 2.4, still moves along tho.
Quote:
Bad
ass, thats what I want to do first is a good bumper with a winch. I got it out today and just drove around nothing intense but just some offroading.

If its 4x4 its a 2.7.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
01 taco
that made my day better, kid told me it was a 2.4.. well now I know!

Next ? i guess is, which bumper should I go with and I want a hoop. price cant be too high tho
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
If its 4x4 its a 2.7.
Quote:
that made my day better, kid told me it was a 2.4.. well now I know!

Next ? i guess is, which bumper should I go with and I want a hoop. price cant be too high tho
Definetly a 2.7L its the 3RZ, really good engine.

Nice looking truck!!

Be gentle when you start going off road and see what it needs before you go crazy with armor and bumbers. Adding a lot of weight to these little 4cyl's makes them much slower. If you want to know what it will be like with full armor and bumpers/winch go load up 400# of whatever and drive around....thats without any camping gear. Its do able but the weight adds up quick and kills power and mileage.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that is a nice setup and the way to go IF he needs the protection and recovery ability...maybe he want the looks.....maybe it would be a waste of money. I was just suggesting he go play a bit and then decide if he wanted those things, they do come at a cost, $ and driveability.

I like your truck quite a bit as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 fo sho!! badass little truck you got there.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
01 taco
I think im going to go with sliders first