Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Vibration when shifting

Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration when shifting

Hello Everyone,

Here are the symptoms and Its worrying me that this may cost a ton of money.

09 Taco 4cyl 2 wheel drive - standard pickup. Automatic 45,000 miles

When shfting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to overdrive, the truck is vibrating very badly. I assume there is an issue with the transmission. It also does it when downshifting as well. How bad is it? don't sugarcoat it.

It has been a phenomenal truck so far and this is my only issue. I just started happening.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
In order to help you we may need a little more information or clarification of your vibration. Does your taco vibrate in first or second gear or in reverse?
You could have a broken motor mount or a transmission mount broken, you need to examine and test them to see if they are the trouble.
You may want to examine your drive shaft and look at the universals. You may have a two piece drive shaft and the middle support may be the problem. I would look first, before you start to blame the transmission. It could be a internal failure, but you would be having more transmission problems if it was the fault. Good Luck.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
dgjones is on a distinguished road
dgjones's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm good suggestions. It vibrates bad when shift from 3rd to fourth. But the vibration stays unless I punch the gas or let off the throttle. Something may be out of balance.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Have you ever greased the driveshaft slip-yoke? It might be hanging up. There aren't any zerks so if you try it you'll have to remove the driveshaft, unclamp the rubber boot, and separate the driveshaft into two pieces. It took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish. Make sure you clean the everything really well, and make sure that you have replacement clamps.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Fozzie is on a distinguished road
Name: Fozzie
Fozzie's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a torque converter problem, but more likely something simple, like u-joints.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like when i had to replace a u-joint
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
greensunset is on a distinguished road

Name: Maria
greensunset's Tacoma Gallery
Its manual or automatic transmission?
If manual, the problem is balance, or tire align. You will notice when reach certain speed.
I dont know if this is the correct name, but is something related to balance.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Midnight Drifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Anthony
Midnight Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Funny, I didn't know my A340E had 5 gears.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensunset View Post
Its manual or automatic transmission?
If manual, the problem is balance, or tire align. You will notice when reach certain speed.
I dont know if this is the correct name, but is something related to balance.
OP mentioned in his opening post that he has an automatic. Tire balance issues typically show up around the 55 MPH range.