Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4lo

Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
4lo

2012 4banger, i used my 4lo today to pull a stump out in the field. i can not get it to go into 4hi or 2wd. what am i do wrong. i only have 5k on this new truck!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Auto or 5 speed?
ether way less than 2 mph (I do it when stopped)
with 5 speed clutch in turn switch
I think with auto in neutral then turn switch
if it doesn't go move a little & try again
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
With a 5-speed you need to have the clutch completely depressed and the transmission in neutral. Try stopping, completely pushing the clutch all the way in(redundant I know), transmission in neutral, and then turn the knob. If that dosent work take it to the dealer....

or hit it with a hammer....
Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Stop, select neutral, push + hold the brake, select 4wd high and let it shift.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard View Post
With a 5-speed you need to have the clutch completely depressed and the transmission in neutral.
I've never put my 5 speed in neutral to do it.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the input. its a stick. i was trying to get some food plots in for the deer and been wanting to get this thorn bush out of the way for years. after planting some ground hog radishes with the tractor. i turned the ignition on and w/ out starting it and all went back to normal. my fjc is the same way in 4 low. very tricky to get it in and out of low.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I've never put my 5 speed in neutral to do it.
The manual dosent say anything about being required, but my shifts to and from 4L are much more consistent and smooth if I shift to neutral. If I don't, it often beeps at me.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard View Post
The manual dosent say anything about being required, but my shifts to and from 4L are much more consistent and smooth if I shift to neutral. If I don't, it often beeps at me.
we i 1st put mine into 4 low, it started beeping. i assumed this was a new feature to remind you that it was in 4 low? i've never had one beep before in 4 low. maybe one of our guru's could explain what the beep is?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
the beep means your arent in 4 low

was it still flashing?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post

was it still flashing?
to be honest, i wasn't paying attention to the 4wd flasher. was watching the stump and hoping the strap did not brake and smack my new truck. it must have been in 4wd hi or lo, i was in a plowed field and i would have dug a hole in freshly plowed dirt in 2wd.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh178 View Post
to be honest, i wasn't paying attention to the 4wd flasher. was watching the stump and hoping the strap did not brake and smack my new truck. it must have been in 4wd hi or lo, i was in a plowed field and i would have dug a hole in freshly plowed dirt in 2wd.
You were in high. As said earlier, beeping means you did something wrong.

For low range select 4wd high while moving, stop, hold the clutch in all the way, hold the brake, select low and let it shift. No need for neutral and push the clutch while shifting into high to make the shift easier.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys for setting me straight.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post

was it still flashing?
I had mine out a couple days ago and got the beeping when I set the knob to 2 hi from 4 lo and the transfer case had not shifted. Cleared it up when I set it back to 4 lo, shifted to neutral and held the brake down before setting the knob back to 2 hi. Not sure all that is necessary--still learning about this truck. But it did beep when it was still in 4 lo and the knob was set to 2 hi.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
The transfer case wants to go one step at a time. 4Lo-4Hi-2Hi