Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Changing spark plugs on my 2008 for the first time, help.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
vln is on a distinguished road
vln's Tacoma Gallery
Question Changing spark plugs on my 2008 for the first time, help.

Hey guys! I've been a lurker here for a while, but I am in need of some help.

My taco just passed 60,000 miles, and I thought it would be a good time to change the plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-9613-Iridium-Fine-Spark/dp/B00515NJB6/ref=au_pf_ss_4?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota|76&Model=Tacoma |1037&Year=2008|2008&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automo tive

Are those ok? Or should I just call toyota and order the stock ones? I have had good experience with bosch in the past.

Also, what is a good anti-seize to use? Anybody have a recommendation? And just to be clear, on a 2008 2.7, I torque the plugs to 15 ft lbs, correct?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
dudewheresmytaco is on a distinguished road

dudewheresmytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a great write up on this job. it is actually a sticky in "tech chat".
the toughest plug will probably be one on the drivers side closest to the bumper. you will need an extension. good luck

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Hard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shedHard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: H
Hard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewheresmytaco View Post
Here is a great write up on this job. it is actually a sticky in "tech chat".
the toughest plug will probably be one on the drivers side closest to the bumper. you will need an extension. good luck

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
That is REALLY helpful for the OP with a 2tr......ok honest mistake.

OP I would stick to Denso or NGK. OEM uses them for a reason. You dont have to get the Denso iridiums at the dealer, lots of souces.

Toyota says no anti-seize FWIW.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...gs-2tr-fe.html
Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the 4 Banger used iridium plugs and didn't need to be changed until 100k
Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
vln's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so far guys, is it really that bad to use anti-seize?

So I'm guessing 15 ft lbs is the right torque for the plugs?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I thought the 4 Banger used iridium plugs and didn't need to be changed until 100k
X2
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard View Post

HAHAHAHA i laugh.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard View Post

OP I would stick to Denso or NGK. OEM uses them for a reason. You dont have to get the Denso iridiums at the dealer, lots of souces.

Toyota says no anti-seize FWIW.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...gs-2tr-fe.html
I'll have to look, but you need it on certain plugs... depends on what the plug is made of. I found the info last year when I was getting ready to change mine.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
vln's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, just found out I don't know where my torque wrench is, how tight should the plugs be if I just use a ratchet? 1/2 turn after hand tight?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
I think that a 1/2 turn may be too much torque on the spark plugs. I would just tighten them 1/4 turn after being snug to set the torque.

I would use the anti seize on the plugs, but I believe that Toyota is afraid that anti seize and torque would pull out threads on the head. You just need to use your own judgement on this.

I would use some di-electric grease on the spark plug top and on the wire's female connector. It will waterproof the connector and the plug.

Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
For antiseize I just rub a pencil lead over the threads. Seems to work fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
For antiseize I just rub a pencil lead over the threads. Seems to work fine.
That's all it really is anyways, just graphite with some other crap mixed in. Graphite works very well though.

Products Discussed in this Thread