Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Compass Temp gauge overhead console in a (2.7) 4 cylinder possible ?

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Compass Temp gauge overhead console in a (2.7) 4 cylinder possible ?

I have 2011 4 cylinder, its a double cab Prerunner SR5 (non TRD).

I bought a used console (from a 2011). I have seen some posts about this but nothing for a confirmed successful console installation is a 2009-2011 model with a 2.7.

Can anyone say for sure if the wiring is in place in the (non TRD 2.7) 2009-2011, I guess I'd need the wiring in the headliner and a temperature sensor and wiring already installed, is the sensor on the radiator?

Have my doubts about wiring in place, made some previous modifications in hopes of existing wiring harness... Like for fog lights and there was no wiring so had to install my own but now all looks factory (the 2.7 didnt come with fog lamps). Although many thought the harness was installed because they were speaking of examples of existing wiring in 6 cylinder models. I'd look myself but of town at the moment but will try to make sure this weekend.

I sure hope I can make it work. Today on eBay I purchased an OEM 2011 temp display console from an existing 2011 TRD (6 cylinder) truck. The guy had some roof damage and when the shop that did the repairs pulled his headliner to make they forgot to plug the compass back in, the technician tried to pop out the plastic in one of the sections and put a couple tiny marks on the gray plastic before they realized it didn't come out like that, even though barely noticable the owner requested a new $900 unit be ordered since he had an almost brand new truck, believe he installed it and got to keep the one that was in his truck.

However first I'll have to overcome wiring modifications, any useful information would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Still waiting for it to arrive in the mail

Well the wires are there, now I just hope it works.

I have a 2011 Prerunner SR5 Double Cab (2.7 4cylinder), it is a Non TRD truck.

A couple of days ago I saw a console for a newer 2011 TRD truck show up on eBay (for $257 shipped) So i bought it. Have not received it yet but thats where i am now. Waiting to see if it will work in a 4 cylinder Prerunner.

Here is what my 2011 (2.7 Prerunner) harness looks like (and sensor), I don't have very good lighting in these pictures.

I thought I was good to go then I read a post (with a 4cyl truck) who borrowed a 2009 console from a TRD truck and it didn't work... so not enough information to confirm. I know the swap to a 2009 SR5 6 cylinder truck SR5 from 2009 TRD worked flawlessly. The is an outstanding older post by forum member Kevinva and another by RLEngineer that helps solidify some of the questions to make it all happen.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
My new 011 console arrived today!

Was pretty excited, Was a fun and fast install, click click for the two plugs was good to go.

I turned the ignition key and I got a F --- NW, I had the choice of F or C. The compass appeared to be working without ever calibrating.

Not sure which direction to go, the console has a 10/28/2010 build date on it As well as an accurate part number for the 2009-2011 displays.

Has anybody confirmed the install on a 2.7 ever?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
Anybody...

See the photo above with the harness wires.

The 2011 console oesnt work in the 4 cylinder. Now know that for sure.

Does anybody know what two wires I could cut (or splice - going to added sensor)? I say cut because guess need two wires for the added sensor, would be easier cut the yellow (other wire not sure) before the female harness plug so I'd have the two pigtails left from the harness that gets plugged directly into the console.

I'd cap the two wire ends going back to wherever they go in the truck.

Some of you guys have the pins numbered...I'm not sure where to start counting pins

I believe the yellow for sure but not sure about the 2nd wire routed to the new (additional) temperature sensor... If somebody knows about 2nd wire or has a wiring diagram for a 2011 4 cylinder that would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to have some overhead console fun too but different from yours. I have reg cab so I'll be cutting the headliner and running wiring for the other overhead console, the one with just map lights, cubby for garage door opener & cubby for glasses in it. I have the console and even scored the metal mounting bracket that is attached to the roof from a partout. Good luck on your project................
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience it will not work. I've tried everything including the following:

• Direct plug and play of 2010 console in my 2010 truck - Temp and compass did not work
  • Install of a 2005-2008 console, additional install of an ambient temp sensor at front of the truck, run wires from the sensor to the gauge - Temp and compass did not work
  • Direct plug and play of a 2012 backup video, temp, compass mirror in my 2010 truck - Temp did not work but compass and camera did. The temp display could be removed through setting options in the mirror so at least you don't have a null value where the temp display would be. This is the option I currently have on my truck.

I'm not saying this is impossible but I think you would have to have a lot of knowledge of electronics to do so. I'll see later on today if there are some links I can post that I used when trying to figure out the problem.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Here are a couple of threads that may help:

Install of Overhead Console into 2009-2011 Trucks
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-install.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-console.html
Here is a thread I started a few months back on this topic:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...gen-4-cyl.html
Install of 2012 Mirror in 2009-2011 4 Cyl
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-homelink.html
If you ever get this to work please post it here and you will have my eternal gratitude. I would love to have a working temperature gauge that is stock for my I4.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Tunngavik thanks for all of the insight to this. After re-reading some of the familiar links I think the mod is going to be difficult. One of your posts I actually participated back in 2011, I had some confidence in the one A+post http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-console.html that looked promising by Fortech (at least for an '08 console).

After some helpful information from some knowledgeable members on this Kevinva, RL_Engineer, Jassco and yourself it confirms the 2008 or the current model ('09-'11) console are going to be a challenge in the 4 cylinder 2009-2011 vehicle.

This may be a dumb question but have not seen it before. Do we know what each of the 5 wires going into the "09-"11 console do? I know it was discussed about the pins, the ac amplifer, ground and 12v power... that only leaves a few. Since we can't get it to work in the truck, what about on a bench? I know this is an expensive component to be experimenting with and I"m no engineer but would think this circuit could be duplicated... Although doubt an internal wiring schematic exists for the temp/compass, then again it probably does exist but would be hard to get a hold of... The post you provided on the home-link mirror by blackseven was an impressive tutorial on Toyotas electronics. Another thought is the key component in the 4.0 L trucks, we know that even installing an additional (6 cyl part) sensor it doesn't work on the '08 consoles. Would be interesting to also compare two wiring diagrams from the 4 cylinder 6 cylinder and see how the harness or ac amplifier went from 6 down to 5 wires. Acquiring whatever missing piece and stashing it under the hood or up in the dash, so the one component missing gets put in that circuit.

During my short exposure to this console swap, I wanted to test it before fitting it back in the headliner. I used long plastic tywraps to hold the new console to see it come on. When it didnt work except a F ---- N I thought to just run my own wires to an added sensor. Prior to running for a Toyota sensor planned on using cheap walmart sensor, just cutting the thermistor off and try it. Never got that far because it finally sunk in that nobody knew what to use for the 2nd sensor wire on the '09-'11 console.

Tunngavik thanks again for summarizing your proven experiences with the three different devices, sharing the links also helped me look back on a variety of great discussion by some smart members.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

The idea of trying a bench mock up / connection to get the thing to work is a good one. I was actually thinking of that myself but then recognized that my lack of knowledge in electronics was going to prevent me from getting any useful information. When it comes to electronics and electrical I am good at following instructions and determining live wires and the such but beyond that (e.g. resistance in wires ect) I have no clue.

I know Blackseven was looking at getting the 2012 wiring 6cyl diagram to compare it to the 2009-2011 4 cyl diagram. It seems he had knowledge of reading those.

He mentioned that the 2012 diagram was not yet available. I did let him know that once he finds one that I would be willing to throw in some money to get it. This would be to get the 2012 mirror working in the 2009-2011 I4's but the information probably could be used to get the console to work in the trucks as well.

I think the only way of really getting this done is to have the wiring diagrams from the trucks and someone who is very knowledgeable in automotive electronics to try to figure it out.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunngavik View Post
  • Install of a 2005-2008 console, additional install of an ambient temp sensor at front of the truck, run wires from the sensor to the gauge - Temp and compass did not work
Really puzzled at this one. It would seem that this console is designed to work this way with the sensor, but is somehow routed through the dash and perhaps some form of relay given the different color wires. I remember there not being a connection down in the foot panel for one of the wires, but running a new set of wires as you have indicated seems to get around that worry.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Maybe somebody can chime in here that has got this far...

Still need to locate the connectors shown on the diagram (for the yellow circuit) for the wire that runs between the harness in the headliner and the ac amplifier. This diagram is for the '09-'11 temp/compass display. It shows what it needs to work. Although its not a 4 cylinder specific drawing. Toyota was busy but they gave me this so it's a start. If I go back on Monday night they'll try to pull up the 4 cylinder wiring.

Just wondering if the amplifiers are different part numbers between the 4 and 6 cylinder's. Also could another amplifier be added to feed this component.

On Toyotas system this compass/temperature assembly is called the "Accessory Meter". The dealership also gave me the sheets for the pin configurations that are shown on the wiring diagram.

My scanner doesnt work so here are some jpegs of what I have. The close up shots are from the same drawing but you'll have to piece it together, you may need to see the big picture at the same time to see how the puzzle fits together. Once album is open click view all or slideshow (options fast), the full drawing are at the end and not on 1st page for some reason so you may want to skip through.

The accessory meter (A28 harness) also shows the yellow leaving the headliner and going to A14 (or AC amplifier).

It appears that there are two more locations before it hits the A14 (Amplifier). The wire is the yellow (temp) does go to three junction connectors before it gets to A14 amplifier.

- Connector IP2 (10 pin connection)
- Connector IN1 (14 pin connection)
- Connector IN2 (14 pin connection)

All before the yellow lands on the A 14 (pin 27) on the amplifier...

Actually not sure where the above wires go after they leave the A28 console. Although believe the A14 amplifier is behind the glove box? Maybe the IP2, IN1 and IN2 connectors are loacted near by.

The diagram is in color, they also provided 3 other pages that show the connectors listed on the diagram (configuration and numbers) for each.

I called the dealer and inquired about AC amplifier part numbers for both the 4 cylinder truck and the 6 cylinder truck, they had trouble trying to locate any part number for the amplifier... They said in the evenings they'll have more time to look. I think the problem with the console Temp reading may be the same problem that Tunngavik s is having with the 2012 mirror by Genex (which I believe is OEM on some new Tacoma trucks). Not sure why this console is plug and play with the 6 cylinders.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
Those connectors I believe are down by the fuse box, but that's irrelevant. You can run your own wire down A-pillar on the passenger side to the A/C Amplifier, that's what I did. Shit still doesn't work, but it's all hooked up.

Bottom line, the 2012 Gentex back up mirror is expecting a different input then what the A/C amplifier is sending out. I'm almost certain this is the problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
Those connectors I believe are down by the fuse box, but that's irrelevant. You can run your own wire down A-pillar on the passenger side to the A/C Amplifier, that's what I did. Shit still doesn't work, but it's all hooked up.

Bottom line, the 2012 Gentex back up mirror is expecting a different input then what the A/C amplifier is sending out. I'm almost certain this is the problem.
I believe you are correct. How big (physically) is the AC amplifier?. I'll try and confirm that the amplifier has a different part numbers between the 4 and 6 cylinders. Have no idea what the cost is or if the 6 cylinder amplifier could be added into the circuit...
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's not large. What you need are the repair splices that plug into the harness on each end. My thread has the part numbers you need. Since you're going 2011 to 2011, I can't imagine you'll have a problem. I only had a problem cause I wanted to use the 2012 Backup mirror with my 2010 Truck.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Just spend $100 on a Gentex/Donnley mirror.
Temp, compass, and automatic dimming.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Back up camera?! It's pretty cool and I do use it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
I believe you are correct. How big (physically) is the AC amplifier?. I'll try and confirm that the amplifier has a different part numbers between the 4 and 6 cylinders. Have no idea what the cost is or if the 6 cylinder amplifier could be added into the circuit...
Pretty sure an older thread stated they are different part numbers.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #18

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
We want to retain backup camera functions of the 2012 mirrors we have.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely interested in seeing the outcome of this. As with most of these technical one-off mods, there always has to be a guinea pig willing to put in the money, time and research. I'm looking forward to seeing a full DIY write-up when this is complete !
Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #20

The gentex mirror still requires temp input from the truck. I have it and it its awesome aside from the temp not working.