Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

So why can't we have 30mpg?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #21
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I hope she's pretty because she is not going to make it in the real world with math skills like that

X2

Unless she lives at the top of a hill and coasts with the engine off for the first few miles each morning, I say complete BS. V6 usually means prerunner or 4x4......don't buy it. 4 banger 5 lug maybe, with fancy driving.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post

X2

Unless she lives at the top of a hill and coasts with the engine off for the first few miles each morning, I say complete BS. V6 usually means prerunner or 4x4......don't buy it. 4 banger 5 lug maybe, with fancy driving.
I got 24 once driving from Albuquerque to Moab and that's because I was driving about 50 mph and drafting behind a trail limo (whitecloud).
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Because with a larger sized truck like the 2nd gen, people always put on a lift, oversized tires, heavy duty bumpers, and drive 80+ down the freeway with their tall stock gearing. I have 30 mpg in my Taco all day every day.

Then I get in my 4x4 and have about 12 mpg on a good day. It doesn't help that those bastard gas crooks are bending us over with no vaseline and getting away with it.
Attached Thumbnails
So why can't we have 30mpg?-captured2006-9-1100004-1-1.jpg   So why can't we have 30mpg?-v.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Trucks are bricks.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
TRD and Vette is on a distinguished road
TRD and Vette's Tacoma Gallery
Going to be tough to get these to the 28.5mpg mark. The aerodynamics would have to change drastically, gear ratio's and weight.

I have a car that's 531/486whp that I can average 30mpg on the highway, but, all three of the aforementioned are the primary contributors as to why.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I got 24 once driving from Albuquerque to Moab and that's because I was driving about 50 mph and drafting behind a trail limo (whitecloud).
I've hit 22 one time. Driving at 55MPH coming down out of the sierras. Average is around 19 on road trips. Can't fathom how 30MPG can happen in a V6 with any kind of regularity. My folks have a Chevy Equinox with a 4cyl engine and six speed automatic. It gets around 26-27 on long trips. A 4x4 Tacoma is a lot taller and less aerodynamic, and it must weigh more as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #27
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...hnologies.html
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #28
Lwb053 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Nuke Electronics Tech/Reactor Operator (Submarines)
Name: Keith
Lwb053's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'll jump up on my soapbox for a minute. Grab your beer and popcorn and bear with me for a short rant....

I think Toyota (and all of the truck manufacturers, for that matter) might be missing the mark...whether because of payoffs from oil companies, or whatever the conspiracy theorists are hyping today, or because of perceptions they have of American truck owners and prospective owners.

A diesel engine naturally has gobs of low end torque (slow combustion compared to gasoline requires a longer relative stroke, which in turn equates to higher torque). Diesel also has more power per volume than gasoline...not to mention it's cheaper to store/transport due to being less volatile than gasoline (and don't even get me started on renewable, natural sources of biodiesels!). Couple a diesel engine with a turbocharger, and it becomes much more responsive to throttle variations, and cleaner burning under load.

But, you don't see any American trucks running anything less than about 5 liter turbodiesels. I suppose that's great if you pull stumps out of the ground or otherwise need 15,000 pounds of towing capacity. But why not produce something like a 2.0 - 2.5 liter turbodiesel truck for the "everyday driver"?

For a point of reference, I recently parted with my 2000 VW TDI shortly after I got my Tacoma (aothough my wife still has her Beetle TDI). I fully understand that there's a significant difference in aerodynamics, drag, weight, etc. However, the final gearing isn't that different. The 2.7 Taco is doing (as I recall) around 2500 RPM to run right around 75 MPH. The VW was doing 2500 RM for 80 MPH. That engine was a 1.9 liter turbo diesel. In stock trim it made 90 HP and 289 Ft-lb....at 1850 RPM. And in the Jetta chassis it got close to 50 MPG. I tweaked it, taking HP up to a little over 150, and toque up to around 360 ft-lb. And it still got 43 MPG (and turned a 15 second quarter mile...while not Earth shattering, it wasn't bad at all for a 40+ MPG car). If Toyota were to stick something like that in the Taco, I don't see why it wouldn't exceed the current 2.7 in MPG (easily high low to mid 30s), and compete with, or even exceed, the 4.0 in torque (and by definition, towing capacity). The footprint of the powerplant would be approximatly the same as the 2.7, the weight would be only slightly more than the 2.7 (and noticably less that the 4.0), so there wouldn't be any major chassis tweaking required.

The other thing most Americans think of when you say "diesel", is WWII destroyer-type plumes of black smoke belching out of the exhaust. But the "German Big 3" (VW/Audi, BMW, and Mercedes) all make turbodiesels that exceed current U.S. tier 2 emissions....so the technology exists. In Europe, somewhere between 40 and 50% of cars, light trucks/SUVs, and vans use turbodiesels. Including Toyota. I honestly think that if they did it right (not like so many of the "compromise" diesel engines we've been forced to tolerate....Jeep Libery CRD, for example), Toyota wouldn't be able to keep Tacos on the lots if they offered a decent turbodiesel option. We don't need 7 liters of snot-slingin', smoke belchin' oil burnin' baddassery to haul our 800 pound truck nutz hanging from our back bumper....just a nice midsize, efficient turbodiesel to get from point A to B, with reasonable towing capacity.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Here we go with diesel again.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with anything close to 17. Usually get around 15 overall.

*edit: I have a V6 and this is the 4cyl section.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #31
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Saving it.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin gas saveing tires..at the fact. rec. size. Correct tire pressure. Temporarily lower the truck when gas hits $4.00. Remove all off road armor,rock slidders, off road bumbers, etc., and unnecessary cargo for wieght reduction. Toyota aluminum front skid plate for better air flow under the truck. Best yet, trade in for the prerunner. Vote in Romney and Ryan and we can get back to the American way of life. I.M.H.O.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
.... valid question.

I know we "lose" when it comes to mpg compared to cars like the Camry... but why? Is it the weight? Aerodynamics? Gearing? We've got Rav4's and CR-V's that get better mileage than us and are considered "SUV" (more or less), so at what point does the BASEST of the BASE 4 cylinder Tacoma kiss 30mpgs goodbye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
All about the gearing. MPG or pulling POWA! Take your pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Heavier. Higher. Bigger Tires. Lower Gears. 4wd parasitic power loss. Shitty aerodynamics. 6 cylinders. Etc.

Rav4s and CR-Vs are Corollas and Civics in disguise. Please don't pretend they're trucks. Like most "SUVs" (that are really CUVs) built today, they are cars designed to look big enough that men won't feel emasculated driving them but practical enough their wives will let them buy them.

The Explorer and its ilk have replaced the minivan, in other words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
My guess is that the weight is probably the major factor. I just sold a Suzuki Sidekick that got 33 mpg, but still had offroad capabilities competitive with a stock Tacoma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
A chick I work with has a V6 first gen that gets 30+, idk how it is possible, but she must have to drive it like grandma Moses in order to make that. Best I've gotten is 24 which I am happy with, anything above 20 is damn good for a truck, idc what anyone says. They are not designed for mileage period, they are made to haul and tow shit, lots of people tend to forget trucks are made to work.
Why are you guys talking about towing and hauling? lol

Base models don't have off road capability, aren't that heavy, and aren't designed to haul or tow shit. lol

Fact: not all trucks are designed to be off-road capable or even to haul stuff.

Nobody read the actual question, I see.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Why are you guys talking about towing and hauling? lol

Base models don't have off road capability, aren't that heavy, and aren't designed to haul or tow shit. lol

Nobody read the actual question, I see.
Even base models are considered trucks. They have an open bed and are designed to be used as a truck to move things from point a to point b. They still have a steel rail frame. That's why people are talking about towing and hauling. So, even as a commuter, a base model Tacoma is still more than is necessary just to move a person from A to B.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Even base models are considered trucks. They have an open bed and are designed to be used as a truck to move things from point a to point b. They still have a steel rail frame. That's why people are talking about towing and hauling. So, even as a commuter, a base model Tacoma is still more than is necessary just to move a person from A to B.
No kidding, a base model truck is still a truck.

Learn something new every day!

That doesn't mean it has to be designed to get less mpg's than a car.

I see plenty of cars with hitches that "haul" around mobility scooters, and they seem to do just fine.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #37
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then they shoulda bought a car.

My Corolla gets 30+ em pee gees all day.

I guess I was responding to the first question which asked why "we" lose. Well, "we" lose because we're driving bigass, lifted bricks with bigger tires and steel bolted on everywhere.

Anyone else ain't "we" to me, they're "you".
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No kidding, a base model truck is still a truck.

Learn something new every day!

That doesn't mean it has to be designed to get less mpg's than a car.

I see plenty of cars with hitches that "haul" around mobility scooters, and they seem to do just fine.
It's not designed specifically to get less MPG than a car, it just does as a result of the design. Take your basic Camry for example. Add a steel frame, a heavier body and a pickup bed, regear for torque and the result will be the base model Tacoma which only gets mid 20 MPG's.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
The next generation of the Taco will probably be 10% lighter, about the same power level, and will get better mileage. There may even be a Hybrid version.

I would think about one if not too much more $, as it would give the 4 cyl a bit of a boost, and it would add to their CAFE average. And no more waste of fuel idleing at long red lights and trains, yet stay cool or warm thanks to the battery.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #40
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
The next generation of the Taco will probably be 10% lighter, about the same power level, and will get better mileage. There may even be a Hybrid version.

I would think about one if not too much more $, as it would give the 4 cyl a bit of a boost, and it would add to their CAFE average. And no more waste of fuel idleing at long red lights and trains, yet stay cool or warm thanks to the battery.

and this is why North America gets a Tacoma instead of a Hilux