Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

So why can't we have 30mpg?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #41
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
It's all because the oil and gas companies stifle more effecient gasoline engine technologies to keep people suckled on the tittie of the gas pump. Keep their profits up.

:wileyC:
Really? You mean my TDI should get 100 MPG instead of only 50?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
and this is why North America gets a Tacoma instead of a Hilux
It has gobs of low end torque for when you hit the mall up.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #43
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
does your TDI use gasoline?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #44
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I will admit I didnt read through the last 3 pages, but I DO have something to add.

I grew up on a farm driving "bob" trucks, 18 wheelers, and a couple dump trucks too. On the bob truckks and dump trucks, ours had a 2 speed rear end. Why is this not possible in a pickup truck? Couldnt you have a "high" speed for when your doing your daily driving and a "low" speed for pulling the boat to the lake? Seems like this could work in every make and model truck. Just dont know why the technology hasnt got to the masses yet.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #45
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
In Europe 50mpg ain't shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskquatch11 View Post
does your TDI use gasoline?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
I will admit I didnt read through the last 3 pages, but I DO have something to add.

I grew up on a farm driving "bob" trucks, 18 wheelers, and a couple dump trucks too. On the bob truckks and dump trucks, ours had a 2 speed rear end. Why is this not possible in a pickup truck? Couldnt you have a "high" speed for when your doing your daily driving and a "low" speed for pulling the boat to the lake? Seems like this could work in every make and model truck. Just dont know why the technology hasnt got to the masses yet.

The masses are to stupid to handle it. Everything gets dubbed down these days.

Have you ever seen how many people in here engage 4x4 on dry pavement then wonder why their truck is making noises when they park?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #47
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
My 2.7L stick gets 30+ mpg without much effort.

I have the advantage of high altitude, but at 60mpg i'll get 30-35 without any hypermiling "fancy driving". (Someone please argue that high altitude is a disadvantage )

I drove to and from Boulder to Denver airport twice on my last tank and averaged 35 both times without doing much besides setting cruise at 60.

An x-runner with the same 2.7L should do even better.

A little better OD gear would help some.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
The masses are to stupid to handle it. Everything gets dubbed down these days.

Have you ever seen how many people in here engage 4x4 on dry pavement then wonder why their truck is making noises when they park?
This and there's no need for a dual geared rear end in an every day pickup. The purpose of the dual speed rear is so you can have a very close gear range to get loads moving but not an ass load of gears in the transmission to get all the way up to highway speed. The Tacoma is fine with the gearing it has. It could be a little higher on the freeway but it does not even come close to requiring the dual speed rear of the old day big rigs. Have you seen the size of the pumpkin on one of those?!?! They weigh a ton and you'd only have 2" of ground clearance. Additionally, what do you do with the front end, put another one up front?

Plus, in case you haven't noticed, we have a high/low range transfer case already. We don't need redundancy in the front/rear end. Good intentioned but a horrible idea for a small truck.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #49
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
I don't buy the weight argument... maybe coupled with aerodynamics but not alone because I had a V8 Trans Am (cam, cylinder head, exhaust, etc reworked to 450hp) and it weighed as much as my Tacoma yet still maintained 26-31mpg.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #50
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
I don't buy the weight argument... maybe coupled with aerodynamics but not alone because I had a V8 Trans Am (cam, cylinder head, exhaust, etc reworked to 450hp) and it weighed as much as my Tacoma yet still maintained 26-31mpg.
Read all of it... It's weight, crappy aerodynamics, a heavier drive train and different gearing. It's not one smoking gun, it's a combination of factors that contribute to the bad mileage.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #51
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Read all of it... It's weight, crappy aerodynamics, a heavier drive train and different gearing. It's not one smoking gun, it's a combination of factors that contribute to the bad mileage.
You're right. I got the sense a few people were going the "It's just heavy" route. Gearing? Maybe, but I had 4.10's in my Trans Am and again, it did fine.

And aerodynamics? I'm curious because there's "SUVs" out there that are not only taller and higher off the ground but seem just as non-aerodynamic as a Tacoma.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #52

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
You're right. I got the sense a few people were going the "It's just heavy" route.

And aerodynamics? I'm curious because there's "SUVs" out there that are not only taller and higher off the ground but seem just as non-aerodynamic as a Tacoma.
The full SUV is actually more aerdynamic. A pickup with a shell that goes from the top of the cab to the top of the tailgate (just a sloped diagonal) will actually do a lot better in the MPG department. Even a conventional shell can offer some slight gains.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #53
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a 2002 BMW X5, 3.0L that gets 19 to 22 MPGs around town.
I tow a 6X10 Pace trailer with it and it has gobs of power and pulls like a Belgian horse.

... My new V6, DC Taco, with 'towing option' doesn't event come close to the power the X5 has. That is probably the only thing I was surprised... and depressed about. It's a noticable workout for my V6 Taco to tow the same trailer (yes, it's got the same weight in it too ).

Gas milage is nearly the same.

I will say one thing, the V6 taco is NO pulling machine.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #54
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
It has gobs of low end torque for when you hit the mall up.
And the gas engine will not even be running and using fuel.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #55
Lwb053 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Nuke Electronics Tech/Reactor Operator (Submarines)
Name: Keith
Lwb053's Tacoma Gallery
1973 HiLux

Engine: 18R
Carbureted
2 valves per cylinder
Single overhead cam
Mechanical distributor ignition
30w oil
Curb weight, about 2800 #
Estimated, about 20 MPG (From fuelly.com, 20.6 MPG over 28 fuel ups)

2012 Tacoma base model

Engine: 2TR-FE
Closed loop electronic fuel injection
Dual overhead cams
4 valves per cylinder
Variable valve timing
Electronic ignition
0w-20 oil for best economy
Weight, 3250#
Listed mileage: 21 city, 25 highway

I find it hard to believe that that's the best we can do with 40 years of technology.... (OK, fine 39 years for you nit-pickers!)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #56

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwb053 View Post
1973 HiLux

Engine: 18R
Carbureted
2 valves per cylinder
Single overhead cam
Mechanical distributor ignition
30w oil
Curb weight, about 2800 #
Estimated, about 20 MPG (From fuelly.com, 20.6 MPG over 28 fuel ups)

2012 Tacoma base model

Engine: 2TR-FE
Closed loop electronic fuel injection
Dual overhead cams
4 valves per cylinder
Variable valve timing
Electronic ignition
0w-20 oil for best economy
Weight, 3250#
Listed mileage: 21 city, 25 highway

I find it hard to believe that that's the best we can do with 40 years of technology.... (OK, fine 39 years for you nit-pickers!)
That's an overly simplistic way to look at things... We also have a LOT more safety features, ABS, SRS, VSC, etc, we're producing more power these days, things have a lot more electronics, are arguably more reliable. So we've kept MPG the same and completely updated everything else around it.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
Lwb053 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Nuke Electronics Tech/Reactor Operator (Submarines)
Name: Keith
Lwb053's Tacoma Gallery
We added about 400 pounds to the vehicle (which includes safety features, etc)....we've improved everything by light years....but added only about 2 MPG? Don't get me wrong, I love the truck and I'd buy another in a heartbeat (if I had the $). My problem isn't the truck, it's the policy makers who keep polishing turds and telling me it's the best toffee there is. A 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado with a V8 weighs almost 800 pounds more than a Tacoma Access Cab with a V6....and gets almost the same mileage. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but why aren't ALL of the advances options in ALL of the vehicles? For example, Toyota has a really nice dual cam VVTi, but the Taco only gets a single cam on the VVt platform. Are we second rate because we don't buy the high end flagship? Granted, it costs more to make and to offer more options, but why not at least offer it, and give us the choice to vote with our wallets?

Just sayin'...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That's an overly simplistic way to look at things... We also have a LOT more safety features, ABS, SRS, VSC, etc, we're producing more power these days, things have a lot more electronics, are arguably more reliable. So we've kept MPG the same and completely updated everything else around it.
+1

And in addition to being almost 500lbs more, the engine is also 35% larger... all while getting better fuel economy AND producing enough power to get out of it's own way.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #59
Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.
dimduk is on a distinguished road

Name: patrick
dimduk's Tacoma Gallery
I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel but I've heard they take a while to warm up and since I live in Minnesota and work is five minutes away a diesel seems impractical.I wish Toyota made a version of the Eco-boost.One way I think they will increase gas mileage is to use more aluminum and plastic body panels.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #60
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimduk View Post
I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel but I've heard they take a while to warm up
Ya... I had an '06 Duramax. If it hadn't been for the heated leather seats, I would have just written off the heater.
It took at least 15 miles to get any heat out of it.