Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

So why can't we have 30mpg?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #61
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimduk View Post
I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel but I've heard they take a while to warm up and since I live in Minnesota and work is five minutes away a diesel seems impractical.I wish Toyota made a version of the Eco-boost.One way I think they will increase gas mileage is to use more aluminum and plastic body panels.
The warm up differences between a similar sized gasoline engine and a diesel engine is maybe a minute. Not really an issue.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel but I've heard they take a while to warm up and since I live in Minnesota and work is five minutes away a diesel seems impractical.I wish Toyota made a version of the Eco-boost.One way I think they will increase gas mileage is to use more aluminum and plastic body panels.
Well your gas engine isn't warming up that fast either...

That is unless you let it idle for 5 minutes or so before leaving during the summer.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #63
Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.
dimduk is on a distinguished road

Name: patrick
dimduk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Well your gas engine isn't warming up that fast either...

That is unless you let it idle for 5 minutes or so before leaving during the summer.
In the summer I just get in and go and shut it off as soon as I get to work.I know this is hard on the engine so I change the oil every 2500 miles.In the winter I let it idle for about five minutes while I clean off any ice or snow.This is also bad but the truck stays outside and my parking spot is usually buried.
Attached Thumbnails
So why can't we have 30mpg?-p8240119.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #64
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In the summer I just get in and go and shut it off as soon as I get to work.I know this is hard on the engine so I change the oil every 2500 miles.In the winter I let it idle for about five minutes while I clean off any ice or snow.This is also bad but the truck stays outside and my parking spot is usually buried.
Yeah it's hard on it but what are you going to do? That's why you buy a toyota, so you don't have to worry about hurting it too much
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #65
Life is a one way trip,enjoy it.
dimduk is on a distinguished road

Name: patrick
dimduk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah it's hard on it but what are you going to do? That's why you buy a toyota, so you don't have to worry about hurting it too much
I've thought about taking the scenic route but it seems like I'm trading one type of abuse for another as the additional miles will hurt if I trade the truck in.Which I may do when the third generation comes out.I love Tacoma's but there has to be a way to get four cylinder fuel economy out of the V-6.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #66
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, the V6 is just not a very economy-minded design. Whatever it is, all I know is my wife's 2005 4Runner has the 4.7L V8, is a little heavier than my 2012 Tacoma, is all time 4-wheel drive, sits just as high as my truck, has a 500 lb. higher towing capacity than my truck, will flat out spank my truck in acceleration, and still gets the same 17 mpg as I do. I would kill to have that engine in my truck.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #68
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
My guess is that the weight is probably the major factor. I just sold a Suzuki Sidekick that got 33 mpg, but still had offroad capabilities competitive with a stock Tacoma.
A stock tacoma does better offroad but a sidekick holds its own stock as well.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #69
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblackgto View Post
IMO, the V6 is just not a very economy-minded design. Whatever it is, all I know is my wife's 2005 4Runner has the 4.7L V8, is a little heavier than my 2012 Tacoma, is all time 4-wheel drive, sits just as high as my truck, has a 500 lb. higher towing capacity than my truck, will flat out spank my truck in acceleration, and still gets the same 17 mpg as I do. I would kill to have that engine in my truck.
My wifes 08 4Runner has the 4.0 V6, is also way faster than my Tacoma (still stock, no mods at all) but it gets 22.5mpg.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #70
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
Worst thing I ever did was trade my '07 standard cab 2.7, 5 speed for the about the same thing (an '11 though and not an SR5) with the 4 speed automatic. Did it so my wife would drive it...Also, I never was crazy about the clutch engagement feel on the 5 speed.
My mileage dropped, and with a 200 lb. topper on it, my acceleration was fairly poor, too. I didn't buy a truck to race around on the pavement, but highway passing was kind difficult with the automatic.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #71
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
For all you butt-nutters posting the "I bought a midsized truck and didn't get 30mpg" pictures, I wasn't complaining I was simply asking a legitimate question to generate some discussion. There's SUVs out there with bigger engines and bigger bodies making what I make (and sometimes more) so I personally think it begs the question. Plus, this is the year 2012 and I figured technology would be on our side for this one :/
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #72
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
.... valid question.

I know we "lose" when it comes to mpg compared to cars like the Camry... but why? Is it the weight? Aerodynamics? Gearing? We've got Rav4's and CR-V's that get better mileage than us and are considered "SUV" (more or less), so at what point does the BASEST of the BASE 4 cylinder Tacoma kiss 30mpgs goodbye?
You can, its called a 5-lug and driving habits.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #73
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There's SUVs out there with bigger engines and bigger bodies making what I make (and sometimes more) so I personally think it begs the question. Plus, this is the year 2012 and I figured technology would be on our side for this one :/
In part, you're comparing your actual numbers to EPA or marketing numbers... or God forbid... numbers thrown out on an internet forum that really have little basis in reality.

That's why we have Fuelly, and a couple of threads here with active participation of how to drive more efficiently, and sharing actual numbers.

I see it time and again on forums. People bragging about "##mpg", and it's obvious to someone familiar with the vehicle, that they took their best tank out of the last 10 and said "that's what I get".

It's not always out of deceit... we simply remember our extremes. I'm guilty of it too. I was throwing out "I get 26mpg, but on a road trip at 80mph I only got 22"
I joined Fuelly, and the truth is, I average close to 25. I get a few tanks near 26, and an occasional tank down in the 23 range.
But I remembered my best tanks and my worst tanks.

This was a HUGE thing on the Diesel forums. Guys were reporting incredible numbers that there was no way they were getting consistently (and the worst offenders were the Ford guys trying to show how the Powerstroke was better than the Duramax).

Trucks are a brick in the wind. "Larger" SUVs don't always translate to heavier, and they would be more aerodynamic, so they will hold better MPG at highway speeds, where the pickups get their best economy in the 60mph range.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #74
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What larger SUVs get better mileage?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #75
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
My friends Chevy Equinox got 30mpg consistently and as much as 33.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #76
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
My friends Chevy Equinox got 30mpg consistently and as much as 33.
That's not a bigger vehicle. It is a small front drive SUV with a 4 banger similar to the CRV, Rav4, Tuscon.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #77
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's not a bigger vehicle. It is a small front drive SUV with a 4 banger similar to the CRV, Rav4, Tuscon.
Next to my little pickup it's bigger. Front wheel drive, yes. Would that have a lot to do with it?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #78
Banned
Quote:
Next to my little pickup it's bigger. Front wheel drive, yes. Would that have a lot to do with it?
Those are geared toward moving people and some groceries. There is no frame, the 4 banger isn't made for torque and yes the front drive helps efficiency. A 4 banger regular cab Taco is lighter but it is made for hauling and towing. The drivetrain is geared for that.

Trucks are not made to be super efficient.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #80
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 4Runner for one

Aside from that, i'm not sure what Nissan's Pathfinder the Exploder or Chevy's comparable get (Terrain maybe?).