Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

So why can't we have 30mpg?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
So why can't we have 30mpg?

.... valid question.

I know we "lose" when it comes to mpg compared to cars like the Camry... but why? Is it the weight? Aerodynamics? Gearing? We've got Rav4's and CR-V's that get better mileage than us and are considered "SUV" (more or less), so at what point does the BASEST of the BASE 4 cylinder Tacoma kiss 30mpgs goodbye?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
All about the gearing. MPG or pulling POWA! Take your pick
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a combination of all of the things you've said plus the fact that truck engines are set up more for torgue.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Heavier. Higher. Bigger Tires. Lower Gears. 4wd parasitic power loss. Shitty aerodynamics. 6 cylinders. Etc.

Rav4s and CR-Vs are Corollas and Civics in disguise. Please don't pretend they're trucks. Like most "SUVs" (that are really CUVs) built today, they are cars designed to look big enough that men won't feel emasculated driving them but practical enough their wives will let them buy them.

The Explorer and its ilk have replaced the minivan, in other words.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
BurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BurqueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you gave a truck a unibody like the rav4 or crv the mileage would go up cuz of the weight. of course then you wouldn't have testicles so who knows
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurqueTaco View Post
if you gave a truck a unibody like the rav4 or crv the mileage would go up cuz of the weight. of course then you wouldn't have testicles so who knows
rav4's are fun to drive

and also the fastest vehicle toyota offers right now IIRC
Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
BurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BurqueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i almost bought a rav4 but it was an auto and super boring so i did not. prolly would have gotten it with a manny
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is that the weight is probably the major factor. I just sold a Suzuki Sidekick that got 33 mpg, but still had offroad capabilities competitive with a stock Tacoma.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Aero dynamics? Added weight? Engine size? Driving habits? Derp load?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Aerodynamics.

Pickups are a brick in the wind and no amount of "swoopy" front end treatment is going to change the fact that we are driving what is effectively a shoebox with the lid folded forward.

Look at a '76, '86, '96, and '06 and tell me there is any significant aerodynamic difference in any of them except perhaps the X-Runner.
Any slight improvements in the sheetmetal has been offset by increases in ride height, tire width, and overall size (2nd Gen is simply bigger than 1st Gen... 1st Gen could swap sheetmetal with a '93).

We have a few here who apply some of the "hypermiling" ideas and regularly approach, and occasionally surpass, 30mpg.

But you aren't going to do that at 70+mph.

See the Fuelly link in my sig...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
With the new mpg CAFE in 2016 coming up, you can be assured that the real new model trucks will start hitting the market then. Nearly every manufacturer has a model coming up to meet the requirements and my guess is that the Gen 3 Tacoma will be released then as well..."The truck standard has to rise from 23.5 mpg to 28.8." - Car and Driver.

Let the flames begin...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
A chick I work with has a V6 first gen that gets 30+, idk how it is possible, but she must have to drive it like grandma Moses in order to make that. Best I've gotten is 24 which I am happy with, anything above 20 is damn good for a truck, idc what anyone says. They are not designed for mileage period, they are made to haul and tow shit, lots of people tend to forget trucks are made to work.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
It's all because the oil and gas companies stifle more effecient gasoline engine technologies to keep people suckled on the tittie of the gas pump. Keep their profits up.

:wileyC:
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
No diesel offered would be my guess. And I am also a believer in BrokenTusk's theory.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
They are not designed for mileage period, they are made to haul and tow shit, lots of people tend to forget trucks are made to work.
True. But I chose my pickup with the best of both worlds in mind: mpg and utility, because it is my daily driver and while I'm budget conscience I am utility conscience as well
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
No diesel offered would be my guess. And I am also a believer in BrokenTusk's theory.
I was speaking mostly in jest. But theres a lot of things that simply don't add up. When I started researching new cutting edge engine designs I was amazed when I found out that all the "new" crazy tech was anything but new. Most of the same concepts and principles of making machines more efficient have been the industry standards for decades. Examples: Heat regeneration tech, seperating the compression and combustion portions of the engine to incorporate intercoolers, etc.

These things have been done in power generation plants and oilsands processing & upgrading since long before I've been alive. Downsizing the tech to fit in a car shouldn't be that difficult with the resources of these major vehicle manufacturers. I honestly see no reason our vehicles don't hit 35+ Mpg's standard.

Explore:

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp=e...w=1080&bih=650
Old 08-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A chick I work with has a V6 first gen that gets 30+, idk how it is possible, but she must have to drive it like grandma Moses in order to make that. Best I've gotten is 24 which I am happy with, anything above 20 is damn good for a truck, idc what anyone says. They are not designed for mileage period, they are made to haul and tow shit, lots of people tend to forget trucks are made to work.
30 mpg? I raise the BS flag.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTacoma View Post
30 mpg? I raise the BS flag.
I run an X-runner, I get aprox. 22 mpg's and I drive like a bat out of hell most days. But when I'm driving efficiently, cruising in 6th gear at 75. I've seen my Torque App read out 32-35mpg's.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hope she's pretty because she is not going to make it in the real world with math skills like that
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
RebelX is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
RebelX's Tacoma Gallery
Because 30+ mpg is nice

And everyone knows you can't have nice things