LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

No-splice Trailer wiring?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Rajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to behold
Rajas's Tacoma Gallery
No-splice Trailer wiring?

I am looking for a trailer hitch wiring harness that plugs into the tail lamps without splicing the wires, 2nd gen. Searched and didn't come up with anything, unless I missed something. I cannot use OEM as there is no plug in the main harness on the base model.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
DBurns is on a distinguished road
DBurns's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.jcwhitney.com/t-connector...wx?filterid=j1

Just select your year and model. Should be around $45. Worked great on my 2012? I also bought a receiver hitch from here too.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurns View Post
http://www.jcwhitney.com/t-connector...wx?filterid=j1

Just select your year and model. Should be around $45. Worked great on my 2012? I also bought a receiver hitch from here too.
x2. I bought something similar off Autoanything.com. I've had a kit like that on my 2007 for 5 years now and no issues. Put some dielectric grease in the plug to keep it from corroding.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Scofflaw
Phil R is on a distinguished road
Name: Phil
Phil R's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Base 4x4
Wiring harness # 118496
Hidden Hitch # 87581
Both from etrailer.com

Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Rajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to beholdRajas is a splendid one to behold
Rajas's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses. I am going to look into all of these and get one on the way!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajas View Post
I am looking for a trailer hitch wiring harness that plugs into the tail lamps without splicing the wires, 2nd gen. Searched and didn't come up with anything, unless I missed something. I cannot use OEM as there is no plug in the main harness on the base model.
All models have the plug. In fact, there are two plugs located behind the driver's kick panel, one of the two is very high up and difficult to reach.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
jtnyc is on a distinguished road
jtnyc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
All models have the plug. In fact, there are two plugs located behind the driver's kick panel, one of the two is very high up and difficult to reach.

Any pics of the location and what the plugs look like?

I was looking at this kit from a different thread, but wasn't sure if my x-runner, which doesn't have a wiring harness yet, would have the plugs for them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2RA9SXXTGVE9R
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
vstrom is on a distinguished road
vstrom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Hold on a sec.. so ALL tacomas are pre-wired? I have a base model 2010 Access 4x4 and I didn't see anything but I didn't really tear anything up to look. I had bought plug in type wiring harness a few years ago that seemed good, but then started to screw up all the electrics in the truck. I took it out and everything was fine.

If my truck IS pre-wired somehow then I'll find the proper wiring this time.

Need more info..
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
jchav is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Justin
jchav's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrom View Post
Hold on a sec.. so ALL tacomas are pre-wired? I have a base model 2010 Access 4x4 and I didn't see anything but I didn't really tear anything up to look. I had bought plug in type wiring harness a few years ago that seemed good, but then started to screw up all the electrics in the truck. I took it out and everything was fine.

If my truck IS pre-wired somehow then I'll find the proper wiring this time.

Need more info..
Sorry to bump this old thread but does anyone have anymore info on this? I just bought a trailer hitch for my Base model reg cab 4x4 and I would like to wire it up with the factory towing harness. Is this possible or should I just look into the aftermarket products?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Rajas's Tacoma Gallery
There are not plugs on the base model reg cab. Usually the plug is on the harness in the left rear corner I believe. You definitely need aftermarket wiring.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
SouthernTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
SouthernTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure the year of your 2nd gen, but.....

Plugs are behind the tail lamp covers on my 2010.

I just installed the following (which is labeled for 2005-2010):

Hopkins 4-flat wiring kit #43355
Hopkins mounting bracket #48595

20 minute easy install, works great.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
SouthernTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
SouthernTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Link to the parts from my previous post:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-43355-.../dp/B000C3HBX4
Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
jchav is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Justin
jchav's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go with the aftermarket harness!