Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Nasty Clunk or Click when i apply brakes

Old 08-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Nasty Clunk or Click when i apply brakes

guys have a slight issue with my tacoma its a 2010 4x4 regular cab.

When i am slowing down in neutral or in gear and i apply the brakes it makes a clunk sounds. if i press them again no sound.

if i drive a bit and press them i get a sound.

any ideas?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
This is normal
Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
I have had it in my 06 since i bought it. I had it inspected by 2different dealers and they all say its normal. I replaced my pads thinking that would fix the problem but to no avail, i still have it
Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
This is normal. The pads float very slightly in the calipers. You'll probably notice that it occurs much louder the first time you apply the brakes moving forward after backing up out of a parking spot.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Might not be the case here but I had this happen. Check your lug nuts. I had a tire shop install my wheels after getting new tires and they didnt torque the lugs right and half way home I was getting the same thing. The lugs were torqued in a circle pattern instead of alternating and they hung up in the wheel, when the rim moved it loosened and the rim was slamming the brake disc when i hit the brakes.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
out of curiosity OP, why do you slow down in neutral ? You should never drive in neutral, downshift.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
It's brake slap. It's harmless, and it's good - it lets you know you're driving a truck, not a Lexus.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
out of curiosity OP, why do you slow down in neutral ? You should never drive in neutral, downshift.
I put when slowing down in neutral or in gear,

not that i slow down in neutral i was just trying to get "tranmission issues" out of the way cause if the clutch is not engaged and it still made the noise then it wouldnt be tranmission related
Old 08-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
okay guys thanks i appreciate the help
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBuzz View Post
Why is braking while in neutral a bad thing? Last I checked, replacing brake pads is cheaper then replacing the clutch.

OP- It could be the ball joints.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Why is braking while in neutral a bad thing? Last I checked, replacing brake pads is cheaper then replacing the clutch.

OP- It could be the ball joints.
X2
Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Good information

I hear the click/clunck too. I felt it was probably the brakes, but wasn't sure. As I understand it, my 2004 had the balljoint service bulletin performed in 2010 (balljoints replaced), so if it is the balljoints as noted by others, in my case I'd be surprised. Possible I suppose.

Thanks for the input folks!