Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Toolbox's effect on gas mileage...

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Toolbox's effect on gas mileage...

So I'm sure most of us have at least heard of or know about the vortex bubble that forms in the bed of trucks when you're driving. This bubble is supposed to provide a certain degree of aerodynamics when it comes to drag. My question is if adding a toolbox there interrupts that bubble and has a substantial (or noticeable) impact on gas mileage.

I'm considering a toolbox but this is one of my major concerns as I'm the type of person that will squeeze all I can out of gas mileage. I'm also concerned with the loss of bed space as well for furniture and stuff of the like.

Discuss.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I think the weight of the box, especially loaded, will have more effect than any aerodynamic factor will.

If you have to carry stuff, which is the sole reason to have a truck, it will reduce mileage.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
"I know each one of you, like I know my own smell"
Portaparty2 is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Portaparty2's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...... Subd
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 4 Toyota 4 cylinder trucks over time, some of which had tool boxes.

I had thought of a bedcover but never made the investment. I thought they were to high over the rails and didn't like the look (except for the roll top - which looked pretty cool). Although that too consumed about 8" of bed space...

Since you're concerned about the mpg I'll share my experience. Last year I bought a new 4 cylinder Prerunner DC and was pleasently surprised with the mpg. I had it for a few months and then after much research I bought the Truxedo Lo Pro bed cover. My mpg instantly improved even more. It's not only versatile for hauling, looks great but it definitely helped my mpg. I have never got the fuel mileage on any of my other toyota trucks that this vehicle gets. I'm convinced that this is partially because of the bed cover.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Great news for the cover! That's awesome mpg for a prerunner. However, I'm only interested in the toolbox at this point in my life so hopefully a few members can chime in with their experience w/ toolboxes as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
ya covers are the best mpg mod out there other then a scangauge that shows you what your getting. Feels like you glide for days when you first put it on