Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

30k Maintenance Recommendations

Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
30k Maintenance Recommendations

So I'm at 30.5k and I hear its time to do some upkeep. I read the big 30k maintenance thread but I want some guidance for my 2011 as far as transmission and rear diff fluids.

I know what to DO, just not sure what to GET.

***EDIT***

2011 4 cylinder 5 speed I4 Base Model
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I think the general consensus was to get whatever you want. Some guys want Royal purple, some guys want mobil 1...whatever you wanna treat your truck to.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the transmission is recommended at 60k miles (or longer, I don't think it is very clear).
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Will I need synthetic or anything "special" in that regard?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
You will not need anything special. What configuration do you have, 5-lug, pre-run, 4x4, auto/stick? Tow? Dirt conditions? Limited Slip?

Make sure to check the installation of your floor mats.

Oh I see you have a 5-lug, you don't have any tranny or diff fluid needs until 120K.

Your only fluid excitement is changing the coolant at 100K or 10 years.

If you tow change the rear diff with whatever lube you like every 30K.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
RACINGMEMO is on a distinguished road
Name: GUILLERMO
RACINGMEMO's Tacoma Gallery
i got my 30k service done by toyota for 275.00
Old 09-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
well i don't do anything crazy with her right now (no towing so far and a few trails off the beaten path and some fun mud puddles)... so I guess I'm good until later?

I just saw the maintenance guide that came w/ my truck and part of the checklist at 30k was rear diff and tranny.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
well i don't do anything crazy with her right now (no towing so far and a few trails off the beaten path and some fun mud puddles)... so I guess I'm good until later?

I just saw the maintenance guide that came w/ my truck and part of the checklist at 30k was rear diff and tranny.
It does not.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...oma_WMG_lr.pdf

It says if you tow, change diff and manual transmission.

If you have pre-runner or 4x4 with optional limited slip change diff.

You don't tow and have 5-lug.

This is what it says for you.

Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Replace engine air filter

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Inspect the following:

__Ball joints and dust covers
__ Brake lines and hoses

__ Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

__ Engine coolant
__ Exhaust pipes and mountings
__ Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
__ Fuel tank cap gasket

__ Radiator and condenser
__ Rear differential oil
__ Steering gear box
__ Steering linkage and boots

__ Transmission fluid or oil

It says nothing more than that until 60k when it adds this

Replace cabin air filter, and every 60k after that.

It says nothing more than that until 100k when it adds this

Replace engine Coolant
Replace Spark Plugs

Apparently if you don't tow Toyota says you never need to change your non limited slip diff or transmission fluids.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. Less work for me!