Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4.88 gears with 32's

Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
trailertrashman is on a distinguished road
trailertrashman's Tacoma Gallery
4.88 gears with 32's

Should have come from the factory like this. Granted tires are 265/75/16 Hankook all terrain that are big enough for 1 ton truck. Can pass in fifth gear now. Did this to pull truck camper on trailer (weighs 3500) I have, will hold in forth gear 65mph instead of 55mph. Does struggle to pull at 70 mph. No change in gas mileage, after correcting for gear change. Truck is 2010 4x4 single cab with Century topper on back. Setup with trailer hitches on both ends and wiring for winch. Bad part is in fifth gear by 30 mph, makes for fair amount of shifting,(shifts like old low gear farm truck) but since I live in Houston and 95% mileage is in city. Have not take it wheeling yet, but seems much slower (I used 2 lo to park in building everyday). Will cruise at 75mph (think round 3000 rpm) with little effort (very easy to get ticket, (limit here in Houston 65 on freeway)

Bobby
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice to know! But overall doesn't seem like there was that much difference from the 4.10 to 4.88 except for a LIL more speed ?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And fellow houstonian!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the gears ? Who installed them ?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
trailertrashman is on a distinguished road
trailertrashman's Tacoma Gallery
Bought gears in group buy

Friend of mine installed them.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
BlackSeven's Tacoma Gallery
4.88's made a HUGE difference with the 33's. Truck drives like stock with the 33's plenty of power.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
4.88's made a HUGE difference with the 33's. Truck drives like stock with the 33's plenty of power.
How did it affect the low and high end power?
I wanna get some but some people say that 4.88s arent good for a daily driver.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
BlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
How did it affect the low and high end power?
I wanna get some but some people say that 4.88s arent good for a daily driver.
4.88's are perfect for a Daily with 33's. It makes the power feel like you have stock diameter tires.

With the stock 4.10's and 33's going up hills meant downshifting to 3rd, now I might have to downshift to 4th on longer up hills. I can do 70 on the highway comfortably around 3krpm in 5th, and have passing power available. Still get 350-360 miles out of a tank of gas.

The truck pulls harder and "feels" like you have alot more power throughout the RPM range but you run out of gear faster and need to up shift sooner. 5th gear is enough OD for the highway so it doesn't really bother me on longer trips.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab

350 miles per tank?!? I get 250 on my stock 4.10's
Time to sit down and do the math tonight and see if getting better mpg's will pay for itself or not.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
All good info! Ill hopefully be puttin my 4.88 in next weekend
I can't tell if you like me or not after the MT thing but either way please tell me how it goes and what the before &after is like.
I promise to only ask like 5 questions at max
Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
350 miles per tank?!? I get 250 on my stock 4.10's
Time to sit down and do the math tonight and see if getting better mpg's will pay for itself or not.
How you drive has the most impact, as always. I got less than a one mpg bump when going from 4.10 to 4.88.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab

I cruise at 65-70mph on the highway without stopping for prolly a good 60 miles and only get 15.mpg
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Tacobros34 is on a distinguished road
Marines: LCpl, II MEF, Headquarters Group, Engineers
Name: Blake
Tacobros34's Tacoma Gallery
i still have stock 410 gears and I'm running 35's my avg tank is 300 mi thats like 17 mpg and i still havnt recalibrated the speedo so I'm sure I'm getting better than that. I can run 65-75 easly unless it gets pretty windy then its hard to get over 65. i also don't get out of 4th and at 75 mph I'm running 3 grand. oh and i drive like an asshole lol
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacobros34 View Post
i still have stock 410 gears and I'm running 35's my avg tank is 300 mi thats like 17 mpg and i still havnt recalibrated the speedo so I'm sure I'm getting better than that. I can run 65-75 easly unless it gets pretty windy then its hard to get over 65. i also don't get out of 4th and at 75 mph I'm running 3 grand. oh and i drive like an asshole lol
I call bs. I have 33"s on stock gears an go 50-60 everywhere and I get 15mpg.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I have 33.3" tires and get 19 to 21mpg with stock gears doing 70 to 75MPH.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #18
Tacobros34 is on a distinguished road
Marines: LCpl, II MEF, Headquarters Group, Engineers
Name: Blake
Tacobros34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I call bs. I have 33"s on stock gears an go 50-60 everywhere and I get 15mpg.
Call it what ever you want ill be the one with a smile on my face at the end of the day..... I also have a k&n drop in prefilter removed, and cruise control mod. Idk what to tell you pal but somthings wrong because when i was running 33's i was getting around 20-22mpg
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
I cruise at 65-70mph on the highway without stopping for prolly a good 60 miles and only get 15.mpg
This is why you get 15 mpg. When I get on the highway, my MPG Drops as well. but my commute to work is about 19 miles one way through hilly back roads with a max speed of 50mph, but an average speed of around 35-40mph, which I'm usually around 1500-2000 rpm. That seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency. I'm averaging about 20-21mpg. Highway I'm doing just under 3000rpm at 65-70mph and it tends to really suck gas.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSeven View Post
This is why you get 15 mpg. When I get on the highway, my MPG Drops as well. but my commute to work is about 19 miles one way through hilly back roads with a max speed of 50mph, but an average speed of around 35-40mph, which I'm usually around 1500-2000 rpm. That seems to be the sweet spot for efficiency. I'm averaging about 20-21mpg. Highway I'm doing just under 3000rpm at 65-70mph and it tends to really suck gas.
Yeah I agree. According to my ultragauge, I average 20 mpg driving about half city half highway, but I can watch it and through the city ill get 26 or so and on the highway doin 65-75 ill get anywhere from 19-14. And I have 33 km2s with 500 pounds of tools and armor added