Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Will not start after stalling without pushing clutch override

Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Kslice is on a distinguished road
Kslice's Tacoma Gallery
Will not start after stalling without pushing clutch override

05 manual 2.7 liter, if I stall the truck (which is rare), it will not start by just pushing the clutch in and turning the key. I have to press the clutch start over ride button, then it will start. this seems weird to me... not a big deal, unless it means more problems down the road. is this normal? thanks for the advice!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
tlh178 is on a distinguished road
Name: terry
tlh178's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a short or could be something toyota has programed in for safety. mind you, this is just a guess!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
That's strange.
When I stall mine(on trails and such) all I gotta do is clutch down and turn key like normal
Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Kslice's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, I was thinking maybe a safety thing too because any other time clutch starting works. Thanks for the replies
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
As I understand it, all the clutch start button does is connect the same circuit as the button at the bottom of the clutch pedal.

I think your button is on its way out.

Try this;
crank the key to the start position, THEN press the clutch in all the way, right to the floor. Then slowly reduce pressure on it bit by bit, see if the starter begins at any point, this would confirm a bad switch.

You should also note that the switch is adjustable. It might need a little more pressure than the clutch travel is able to apply in most circumstances.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Kslice's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help, switch may just be going out. Time will tell!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the clutch switch took a dump u can test it. it down by the pedel
Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
are you saying after you stall the truck it wont crank again? what if you turn the ket off then on? just something toyota could have installed to keep people from grinding the starter but im not 100% just a thought
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Kslice's Tacoma Gallery
Update: this is not the switch, turning removing and reinserting the key allows it to crank again. Must be a weird safety feature
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kslice View Post
Update: this is not the switch, turning removing and reinserting the key allows it to crank again. Must be a weird safety feature
Must only be on your year model cause like I said, my 2011 doesn't do that
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '07 VW that required the key to be turned to the off position before re-starting. Having never owned a Toyota before my current '06 Tacoma, I expected the same feature but was surprised that it didn't have it. It may be that Toyota decided after '05 that this "safety" feature had the opposite effect of its intention, which I would agree with.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
Kslice's Tacoma Gallery
If anything it just scares me that one day my truck won't start. And correction I do not have to remove the key only turn all the way to the off position.