Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

A total n00b changes his Serpentine Belt! With pictures!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
sinaptic is on a distinguished road

sinaptic's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Writeup! I don't think I'm anywhere near the point where I'll need to be doing this, but when the time eventually does come, I think this has inspired me to do it myself. If I remember correctly, this is pretty damn expensive to have a shop do...

Bonus points for being another taco-driving artist delving into the wonders of mechanical mayhem; I was starting to think I was the only one here!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
FRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
FRYBOTH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Great write-up! A few things...
1) Thank you. Your post was helpful, informative and entertaining.
2) How many miles are on your 2008 truck? Modern EPDM serpentine (not neoprene) belts can go over 100k miles unless they are subjected to harsh conditions. My 2006 has 80k miles and the serpentine is still in fantastic shape (here in Sacramento we have some hot summers, and winters are relatively mild compared to some parts of the country).
3) I never noticed that the wrench point on the tensioner is not actually a fastener, it's just a hex-shaped protrusion in the casting! awesome LOL
4) Here's an interesting "Two Guys Garage" video on serpentines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck8HollJYOc&lr=1
5) For a free serpentine belt wear gauge, go to http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear

P.S. Love your Avatar... DOOOOOM!
Can't go wrong with Doom guy! I figure my belt had a decent amount of life left in it, but the squeal was very annoying. I have 68k on my truck. I've owned it about 3 weeks now. I've come to the conclusion that it was a fleet truck for some construction outfit. There's a lot of half ass work done to this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinaptic View Post
Nice Writeup! I don't think I'm anywhere near the point where I'll need to be doing this, but when the time eventually does come, I think this has inspired me to do it myself. If I remember correctly, this is pretty damn expensive to have a shop do...

Bonus points for being another taco-driving artist delving into the wonders of mechanical mayhem; I was starting to think I was the only one here!
Yeah, $80-$100 an hour is a good estimate of the cost of LABOR. The belt was only $35.

Yeah it turns out our dainty little artist hands can handle working on trucks just fine! Here's a tattoo I designed for my friend who's a fire fighter.

And sorry to anyone who might ask, I'm not too big on designing anything for anyone.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #23
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. will it be the same for the V6?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #24
FRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shedFRYBOTH is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
FRYBOTH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
sub'd. will it be the same for the V6?
I believe it should be similar. But your belt's layout is going to be different. I know there's a post all about the belt for the v6 on this forum somewhere so it's worth looking.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #25
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRYBOTH View Post
I believe it should be similar. But your belt's layout is going to be different. I know there's a post all about the belt for the v6 on this forum somewhere so it's worth looking.
thanks man.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #26
sinaptic is on a distinguished road

sinaptic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRYBOTH View Post
Yeah, $80-$100 an hour is a good estimate of the cost of LABOR. The belt was only $35.

Yeah it turns out our dainty little artist hands can handle working on trucks just fine! Here's a tattoo I designed for my friend who's a fire fighter.

And sorry to anyone who might ask, I'm not too big on designing anything for anyone.
Agreed, one of the only times I've been glad to have girly hands was when I had to snake my whole arm up in the dash to install a fog light switch.

Excellent tattoo design as well, nice work!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Great write-up ! thanks for making this, Reps to you!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
texascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the roughtexascolt45 is a jewel in the rough
Name: mike
texascolt45's Tacoma Gallery
out of all the diagrams i found on the net,yours was the only 1 that was right.saved my butt sunday cause i didnt note how it went before i took it off.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
haha...gotta admit, at first i was like, why do we need a write up for a belt....but after reading it, the humor is worth the price of admission. well done sir.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #31
markustyson is on a distinguished road
markustyson's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write-up!! Changed my belt in about 30 min. Thanks again!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
George McFly is on a distinguished road

George McFly's Tacoma Gallery
excellent write up! most definitely see myself doing this with confidence! thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #33
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I for the life of me, could not find a belt in stock anywhere for
My v6. I HAD to go to the dealer.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write-up! this will be a huge help in the future when I need to take care of mine. Many thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
would this be the same for a 1st gen 2.7?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
jordbird is on a distinguished road
jordbird's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up!
FYI for anyone else considering the job
-My 09 had 101,000km (62.7K Miles) when I replaced the original belt
-Belt was squeaking a bit on startup so I decided to change it
-Was quoted $101 for toyota oem belt, $60 for generic gates belt, and $70 for goodyear gatorback.
-I went with the gatorback and install was a breeze, took less than 15 minutes.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #38
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
CelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Facial expressions are funny as shit haha!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
just wanted to stop in, and eat my crow and thank the OP for the drawing.

i know i could have dug it up someplace, but i used his to map out the belt

thanks man