Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

A total n00b changes his Serpentine Belt! With pictures!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #41
Tacoma4x4banger is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
Tacoma4x4banger's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I like the triumphant pose.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #42
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
dig the safety glasses! lol....thanks for the laugh! someone somewhere will find this useful. hopefully it gets stickied or linked somewhere.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #43
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascolt45 View Post
out of all the diagrams i found on the net,yours was the only 1 that was right.saved my butt sunday cause i didnt note how it went before i took it off.
this is why I take pictures of some things before taking them apart
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #44
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
this makes me feel much more confident about doing this on my step-dads '96 4-banger which is in desperate need of new belts and hoses. Thanks for the write up and instilling confidence in us all!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
jcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of lightjcman01 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Buck
jcman01's Tacoma Gallery
Informative and entertaining - just like PBS
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #46
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my power steering belt About a week ago on my 96. Was easier than I thought. It was the Factory belt, was splitting but It lasted 17 years. TOYOTA made to last!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #47
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I just bookmarked this thread because I need to do the same exact thing on my 06 2.7l as well. I am getting the annoying squealing and I'm hoping this is the reason. Does anyone know how much these belts run and where is cheapest to get one?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #48
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine from rockauto.com $11.18 shipped. I think yours is a little more.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #49
08tacoma2wd is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
08tacoma2wd's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Thank you, you saved me a lot of money.

I followed your post, which is excellent, I went to my locale Auto Parts Store and bought a serpentine belt for $28.10 w/tax. I went home and made a diagram of the belt and pulleys. Diagram is the most important tool, make sure it is large enough and clear, so you understand your diagram. The process of removing the old belt, and installing the new one, was well under an hour. My pulleys are nice and quiet again.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #50
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08tacoma2wd View Post
I followed your post, which is excellent, I went to my locale Auto Parts Store and bought a serpentine belt for $28.10 w/tax. I went home and made a diagram of the belt and pulleys. Diagram is the most important tool, make sure it is large enough and clear, so you understand your diagram. The process of removing the old belt, and installing the new one, was well under an hour. My pulleys are nice and quiet again.
I also have a 08 2.7 4 cyl . with about 70k. How did you judge it was time to change it Did the old one have cracks across it Thanks.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #51
08tacoma2wd is on a distinguished road
Name: Frank
08tacoma2wd's Tacoma Gallery
Changed belt

You really won't be able to see cracks, the belt actually wears Down. At cold start up, the engine was very noisy. The noise was coming from the front pulleys. And as the engine heated up, I could not hear the noise any more. This went on for several months, I wish I didn't wait so long to change the belt, it is really not difficult.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08tacoma2wd View Post
You really won't be able to see cracks, the belt actually wears Down. At cold start up, the engine was very noisy. The noise was coming from the front pulleys. And as the engine heated up, I could not hear the noise any more. This went on for several months, I wish I didn't wait so long to change the belt, it is really not difficult.
Thanks 4 reply.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #53
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Changed my serpentine last weekend, 2006 2.7L with AC. Less than 10 minutes to get the old one out and the new one in... the easiest maintenance ever besides air filters and tire pressures, of course. New belt is a Dayco brand (3-year warranty) from the local Pep Boys for $33.00. There wasn't anything wrong with the old belt, except that it was the original factory unit with near 100k miles on it... still had good material left and the grooves were fine, with no noises. Keeping it under the storage seats as an emergency backup.

P.S. you can still get a free serpentine belt wear gauge from the Gates website: http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #55
1997 Z71 is on a distinguished road
1997 Z71's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the awesome serpentine belt sketch. It was the only one I could find on the web.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #56
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Tried the Dayco belt on my 4 cyl. It's at least an inch longer than the OEM and wasn't anywhere near as tight, and it would chirp rather loudly when the label passed the upper idler.

Asked the dealer since I was in the area. Toyota wants $113 for their belt and they would have had to order the thing. I said no. Made me miss my Honda. Not that long ago I remember walking into the Honda dealer with a pair of $20s, getting a couple bucks back, and having all 3 OEM belts in my hand.

Guess I'll rock the factory belt for a while longer. Just passed 143k on the dagburn thing.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
Tried the Dayco belt on my 4 cyl. It's at least an inch longer than the OEM and wasn't anywhere near as tight, and it would chirp rather loudly when the label passed the upper idler.

Asked the dealer since I was in the area. Toyota wants $113 for their belt and they would have had to order the thing. I said no. Made me miss my Honda. Not that long ago I remember walking into the Honda dealer with a pair of $20s, getting a couple bucks back, and having all 3 OEM belts in my hand.

Guess I'll rock the factory belt for a while longer. Just passed 143k on the dagburn thing.
You got me worried - I bought the Dayco belt for my 4 cyl but I haven't put it on yet. Should I bring it back ?
Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #58
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Since I'm running without 5th gear now (and thus higher rpm) I resurrected the new Dayco belt as a precaution. I washed the back side with soapy water and a mildly abrasive sponge to both get any residual oils off and roughen up its smoothness a little bit, sun dried and installed. So far it's working fairly well although when it's humid it'll chirp for a few minutes after startup. It's been improving as the label has been wearing off - it's getting quieter and the chirping doesn't last as long. I expect in a few thousand miles it'll be silent virtually all the time.

Of course the factory belt is under the rear seat now just in case.