Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Transmission Fluid Change on '07 4-cyl Auto

Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Fluid Change on '07 4-cyl Auto

So i found a write up on the manual transmission fluid/oil change and it looked to be pretty easy, but to my understanding the automatic is very different; mine is a manual and my dad's is an auto. I've been looking for tutorials and have read a few but am still unsure and don't want to screw up my dad's truck.

Can anyone advise for this year/model?

PS. He's almost at 80k miles
Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Both are simple.

Automatic Trans Fluid Change:

-Open Hood, locate Tran dipstick and remove it.
(dipstick on D/S near firewall, orange tip)

-Locate Trans pan underneath truck. (If you need more detail I can provide, but I'm assuming you know the difference between the oil and trans pans)

-14mm socket, ratchet and small extention.
-Loosen 14mm bolt on trans pan
-Get a drain pan (one with measurements on the side is very helpful)
-Remove plug, let fall into pan, let fluid drain.
-Let it drain until it drips.
-Note amount of fluid removed
-GET THE DRAIN PLUG AND GASKET. (fish for it, pour fluid out over a grated material)
-Install drain plug and tighten. (Not sure on proper torque, but nice and snug, don't he-man it either, it'll strip out.)
-Using funnel in tran dipstick tube, add trans fluid, same amount that came out, should be around 2.9-3 qts.
-Use Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import Trans fluid, compatable with TIV fluid.

-Start vehicle, let idle for 30sec, shift through gears with a 30 sec pause in each one. Place in park/N, check level, add as needed. Do not overfill.

-Repeat steps if you'd like to go that extra mile on maintaince.

-Not a messy job. Drain hole faces straight down, should only really get fluid on your hand a little as you remove the plug to drain the fluid. Maybe some slight splatter of trans fluid as it drains into the bucket/pan/catch thingy.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
oh wow, thanks!

So I don't need the Toyota Certified Trans fluid?
Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
oh wow, thanks!

So I don't need the Toyota Certified Trans fluid?
Nope

This stuff.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Just needs to be a Toyota type T-IV compatible.
Castrol is one, there are others. Check the label.
Personally, I'd just buy it from the dealership. It's not like it's being changed every 5000.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
So you think I could get generic gear oil for the rear differential?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrbas View Post
So you think I could get generic gear oil for the rear differential?
Diffs are standard... Mobil-1 75w90 synthetic is one of the best, use the appropriate LSD additive if your truck requires it (I'm not familiar with Toyota LSD, my Silverado's LSD was good without additive).