Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2012 Tacoma 4-banger 2WD 2.7L

Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
dirtfan is on a distinguished road
dirtfan's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Tacoma 4-banger 2WD 2.7L

Can anyone give me some ideas for performance upgrades? My budget is somewhat limited so just need a few ideas to go a little faster. thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Budget and performance don't belong in the same sentence.

A popular mod for the 4 bangers is the charcoal filter delete with a drop in of your choice.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
dirtfan is on a distinguished road
dirtfan's Tacoma Gallery
Yes i realized that was pretty dumb to put that in there...well thanks again for the help
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
This depends on what you mean by "performance".

Little late now, but the V6 "upgrade" (if you can call it that) was $500 from dealer. That's probably the best bang for the $$ of any performance altering characteristics since it adds 77 hp. That's only $6.50 per 1 hp -- cheap.

A TRD S/C for a V6 adds 68 hp only and costs... $4500. That's $66.18 per 1 hp. This is more inline with typical performance "upgrades".

Now you can alter the characteristics of your vehicle for a lot less. Won't add much/any power, but may give it the feel of more power. Consider a lower gear ratio. Maybe 4.56 gears? That would get you some more get-go without being an overly dramatic modification.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
the V6 "upgrade" (if you can call it that)
Huge upgrade over the weak 4 banger.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So why don't you have a supercharger if ~70 hp is so huge?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Banned
Quote:
So why don't you have a supercharger if ~70 hp is so huge?
I don't because the amount of power now is just right. If I want to go fast I will buy a sports car. But the V6 comes with more torque too so you can actually tow something unlike with the useless 4 banger.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
dirtfan, I know this will cause a fuss and many counterclaims. But try using the highest octane fuel you can find. In my opnion, my cost per mile driven also is cheaper on higher octane fuel, better mileage.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
dirtfan, I know this will cause a fuss and many counterclaims. But try using the highest octane fuel you can find. In my opnion, my cost per mile driven also is cheaper on higher octane fuel, better mileage.
That's a cruel joke.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Banned
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
High octane fuel will cause an increase in fuel consumption and decrease in power output. The fuel itself is the same, but there is an added combustion inhibitor used to resist detonation in high compression engines.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
High octane fuel will cause an increase in fuel consumption and decrease in power output. The fuel itself is the same, but there is an added combustion inhibitor used to resist detonation in high compression engines.
Bing!
I notice a loss in power on higher octane.
I run only 87 now.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Blkvulcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Blkvulcan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But the V6 comes with more torque too so you can actually tow something unlike with the useless 4 banger.
I don't consider my 4 banger useless. It get's me to work while getting decent gas mileage, carries my family, and hauls anything I need to haul.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #13

To the OP, I know this sounds stupid and shouldn't have any affect on normal driving, but trying turning off your traction control. At a stop hold the button down until you see Trac Off light up.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvulcan View Post
I don't consider my 4 banger useless. It get's me to work while getting decent gas mileage, carries my family, and hauls anything I need to haul.

In the end you shouldn't buy a truck for MPGs.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #15
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I did.

V6 would be useless to me as I have no toys (money, that is) to tow.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
I did.

V6 would be useless to me as I have no toys (money, that is) to toy.
You should buy a Prius.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You should buy a Prius.
Yes, but owning a truck augments the size of my genitalia.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #18

Quote:

I didn't sir. I bought my Tacoma because I love Tacomas. I bought the 2.7 because it met my needs and my price. I have no problem driving a 4 cylinder truck.

I don't need a big engine to compensate for anything
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
keep bragging about your v6 and look at your MPG over ours
Old 09-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Yes, but owning a truck augments the size of my genitalia.
Yeah but owning a 4 banger truck put you back in Prius genitalia size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvulcan View Post
I didn't sir. I bought my Tacoma because I love Tacomas. I bought the 2.7 because it met my needs and my price. I have no problem driving a 4 cylinder truck.

I don't need a big engine to compensate for anything
No compensating here. I just didn't want a useless truck and I'm not trying to kid myself about "good" mpgs.

Really though I'm just kidding about the whole 4 banger thing ane I have my own reasons as to why I say it is useless whenever Shemp posts.