Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

4cyl vs 6cyl

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
jbandt is on a distinguished road
jbandt's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl vs 6cyl

Hi guys I need some opinions on fuel efficency. I like the mpgs from the 4 cyl, but don't like the acceleration. I know the 6cyl will have the power but don't like the mpg's.

The question is which would have better CITY mpg? 4 cyl prerunner access cab regeared to 4.56 to improve acceleration or 6cyl prerunner access cab. Assume no lift and the stock tires.

I know regearing loses highway mpg's, but I only do about 5% highway driving so that really isn't a concern. There would be no towing, minimal payload and virtually no offroad.

To me it just seems like it would be cheaper overall to regear a 4 than to own the 6 if I just want a commuter with a little more pep in it's step around town.

Don't beat me up too bad, I'me sure this has been discussed in previous threads.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
ivel is on a distinguished road

ivel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandt View Post
Hi guys I need some opinions on fuel efficency. I like the mpgs from the 4 cyl, but don't like the acceleration. I know the 6cyl will have the power but don't like the mpg's.

The question is which would have better CITY mpg? 4 cyl prerunner access cab regeared to 4.56 to improve acceleration or 6cyl prerunner access cab. Assume no lift and the stock tires.

I know regearing loses highway mpg's, but I only do about 5% highway driving so that really isn't a concern. There would be no towing, minimal payload and virtually no offroad.

To me it just seems like it would be cheaper overall to regear a 4 than to own the 6 if I just want a commuter with a little more pep in it's step around town.

Don't beat me up too bad, I'me sure this has been discussed in previous threads.

Don't know for sure but I think a 4 cylinder with a 4.56 rear gear would have sucky mpg.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Turbo 4 banger car.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I get 10.6 l/100km which is 22 mpg I believe with city and highway probably 50/50. I'm also 4cyl access cab with a leveling kit and bigger tires. I don't find the 4cyl is that bad on power if you get th standard.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
cfagan14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cfagan14's Tacoma Gallery
I live in the city right now, Atlanta to be exact.I find I do pretty good with the 4-cyl on highway but when it comes to driving around town my mpg just sucks,might as well drive the v6.I blame this mainly on the amount of stop and go traffic as the 4-cyl has work to move 4000 lbs of truck.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly dont think a 4 and 6 cylender would be that much different in city driving. They would both suck for mpg's, but i would be asking the question more as to which transmission to get...obviously an auto for city would be more efficient. But overall i would think they wouldnt be that much different, especially if you plan to get a 2nd gen? I've never driven a taco other than my own (v6) '00, but i would assume the newer 4 bangers have more balls than the older ones and the newer v6's get a little better mpg than the older ones like mine. As awesome as they are, i guess i just wouldnt recommend a tacoma at all for your situation. It would be more practical to get some sort of little car. Good luck with whatever you decide though!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
If you do plan on going around the city, I'd rather get the V6, better acceleration and probably better gas milage in city. I have a 06 4-Banger and I always have to floor that thing to get it going from a stop light. I get anywhere from 18-19 city and 23-27 highway.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaKid62 View Post
I honestly dont think a 4 and 6 cylender would be that much different in city driving. They would both suck for mpg's, but i would be asking the question more as to which transmission to get...obviously an auto for city would be more efficient.
Though I am on the fence about the engine, you are dead wrong on the transmission. Automatic transmission will be significantly less efficient in the city because you'll be running around full time with an unlocked torque converter.

On the highway, the auto/manual is a wash because the automatic locks up its torque converter.

Quote:
But overall i would think they wouldnt be that much different, especially if you plan to get a 2nd gen? I've never driven a taco other than my own (v6) '00, but i would assume the newer 4 bangers have more balls than the older ones and the newer v6's get a little better mpg than the older ones like mine. As awesome as they are, i guess i just wouldnt recommend a tacoma at all for your situation. It would be more practical to get some sort of little car. Good luck with whatever you decide though!
Yeah, city driving comes down to how much energy it takes to accelerate a 4000 pound object. The particular engine shouldn't make much too much of a difference (as a percentage difference). The big difference between fuel consumption related to engine selection comes on the highway.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Dirty mall crawler
YotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaKid62 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Forrest
YotaKid62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Though I am on the fence about the engine, you are dead wrong on the transmission. Automatic transmission will be significantly less efficient in the city because you'll be running around full time with an unlocked torque converter.

On the highway, the auto/manual is a wash because the automatic locks up its torque converter.

Yeah, city driving comes down to how much energy it takes to accelerate a 4000 pound object. The particular engine shouldn't make much too much of a difference (as a percentage difference). The big difference between fuel consumption related to engine selection comes on the highway.
I guess i never thought about that, just the fact that you would always be gassing a manual transmission to get moving, plus the fact that a clutch is a pain in the ass in stop 'n go traffic. And its pretty hard on them if you aren't a pro driver. If i did any more city driving than i do i would definitely prefer the auto, even with the lower efficiency. Ill admit i really don't know much about transmissions, other than how to use them.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what I see. The 6 cylinder owners really like their trucks. On the other hand the 4 cylinder owners really like thier trucks. I know that doesn't help much but the good part about that is that you can't go wrong

I've owned 5 Toyota trucks, keep buying the 4 cylinder because they are versatile, dependable, strong and economical. So I can only speak for the 4 cylinder experiences.

Not sure about regearing, it's worth a try... Although I'd make sure it's reversible so you can go back to stock if the rpm's (and mpg) is not what you expected. I know you said you're concerned about fuel mileage, would think Toyota has tried countless scenarios before deciding on the 3.58 gear for the New 4 cylinders to maximize fuel efficiency. I rarely need the passing gear and it seems fine off the stop lights.

What year truck are you looking for? Not sure if you've driven different year vehicles but they probably don't have the same gear as the new prerunners...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
5-Lug, if you are only driving around city why get the pre-runner?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

4cyl pride!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
5-Lug, if you are only driving around city why get the pre-runner?
I should have said, 6 cylinder owners like their trucks, 6 lug 4 cylinder owners like their trucks, 5 lug 4 cylinder owners like their trucks... So you can't go wrong.

But to better answer your question I wanted the double cab, I saw some images of the 5 lug double cab and I wasn't comfortable with that look.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP only wants access cab.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
OP only wants access cab.
. True, but OP also wants a Prerunner...
Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Auto or manual? I ask because with the 4 cyl there is a big difference in the 1st gear ratio - 3.95 for the 5-spd manual and 2.80 for the 4-spd auto.

EDIT: Just realized PreRunners come in automatic only, at least according to Toyota's official press kit: http://www.toyotanewsroom.com/releas...specs.download
Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Auto or manual? I ask because with the 4 cyl there is a big difference in the 1st gear ratio - 3.95 for the 5-spd manual and 2.80 for the 4-spd auto.

Manual, I wouldn't feel comfortable getting an auto 6 lug 4cyl access cab 4x4 (what I have I know he wants prerunner).
Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by litegide24 View Post
. True, but OP also wants a Prerunner...
True, and I asked why?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
There's interesting info in the press kit. For example, apparently 5-luggers have a larger turning circle than 6-luggers of the same wheelbase, due to less steering rack stroke.