1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seafoam - Good, Bad, Reviews?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by scaplus, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    scaplus

scaplus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    One of my friends today introduced me to Seafoam today and everything he said about it was amazing and how it cleans the internal fuel components. Of course, I've seen the bottles at my auto shops but never bothered to look at them or read them at all.

I was wondering if you guys used Seafoam before (or something like it) and could you tell me if it was worth the treatment or just another gimmick?

2. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    scaplus

scaplus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Okay, I was planning on using it in my gas tank and I didn't know if it would affect something. Plus, I've heard mixed reviews about it, even with me searching around. So I'm not sure what to believe.

3. Sep 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    i do a 3rd in the tank 1/3 in the brake boost line and 1/3 in the oil about 1 week or so before i change my oil. i do get get a lot of white smoke after i start it back up after the brake boost inhale, which is "cabon build up" getting blown out. i do feel that it helps clean the crank case from deposit and gunk that builds up between changes and what not and helps keep it as clean as possible. i doubt it really does much more than the "injector cleaners" when its in the gas tank, but i have nothing else to do with that 3rd so might as well.

4. Sep 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    Good question to ask.

In short, the reading I've done lends to the notion that if you buy fuel from one of the major gas providers, the additives that they have in their fuel blends are enough to keep your engine running clean. However, not everyone buys from the big guys. So, lower grade fuels can cause buildup in the engine. When used sparingly, Seafoam (or the like) can remove deposits. The concern is what this or other additives do to your engine other than removing the 'harmful' deposits. Some suggest that prolonged use will damage the engine's soft petroleum based components. Basically, a bottle of the cleaner might not be mixed proportionately as prescribed and do some harm.

Here's a link to a related item - www.skepdic.com/comments/slickcom.html

I believe if you do a search on the web, you'll find other articles of a similar kind. Most suggest additives are 'snake oil' and not worth the investment. If that's what you conclude (as I did), try running the 'big guy's' fuel blends for a few tankfulls and see if your MPGs/Performance returns to norms. If not, a professional cleaning, while more expensive, might be a good alternative. Good luck!!

5. Sep 19, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Gas additives do nothing for the intake. The EGR and PCV systems introduce contaminents into the intake. They condense and solidify. Seafoam helps to soften and remove those deposits.

6. Sep 19, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    I just did this process through the vacuum line. I can NOT vouch for any HP or performance gains. What I CAN tell you is that my truck idles and accelerates much much smoother. 150,000 miles on the odometer. I don't think I gained any better fuel economy even with the addition of the deckplate mod. Also I have the 2.7l 4 cylinder.

After further review the call on the field is overturned. I gained about 2mpg's.

7. Sep 19, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    marvel mystery oil FTW!!! never used it in my tacoma, but worked well with my heep grand cherokee.

8. Dec 6, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    YodasYota

YodasYota I'm here for the chicks.

Member:
    First Name:
    Yoda
    Orange County CA/the Dagobah system
    Vehicle:
    White 2005 2.7L
    aFe pro dry s drop in, secondary air filter delete, "Black Box" mod, debadged, tinted windows, 300mm Broadway rear view mirror, LED brake lights, side markers, rear turn signals, plate lights, and interior lights. Flowmaster cat back exhaust, a cracked tail light that I fixed with some tape, all black grille, 15” Raceline 401B wheels, Goodyear 235/75/15 All Terrain Tires
    I heard this gunks up your oil and to do it right before you get an oil change not after.

9. Dec 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    AlaskanTaco

AlaskanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 acc cab tacoma
    Run Chevron 90 octane. Take it on the highway and stomp on the gas a few times for about 10 seconds a piece. Does pretty much the same thing. You can also use TB cleaner and clean the TB. Once again, start it up, foot to the floor and take it on the highway again.

10. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    03TACO44

03TACO44 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Valdosta, GA
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 base.
    Tinted Windows, A/T tires.
    I have used it once. It gave me 1MPG increase.

11. Jul 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    brandonlamb25

brandonlamb25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Crewcab Prerunner V6
    K&N Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Ipod to Factory radio hookup kit, Black Low Pro Toolbox, Toytec Coilovers and 285/75r16 BFG MT's
    First person I've seen on here from Valdosta. That's where I'm at. Nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top