Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Seafoam - Good, Bad, Reviews?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam - Good, Bad, Reviews?

One of my friends today introduced me to Seafoam today and everything he said about it was amazing and how it cleans the internal fuel components. Of course, I've seen the bottles at my auto shops but never bothered to look at them or read them at all.

I was wondering if you guys used Seafoam before (or something like it) and could you tell me if it was worth the treatment or just another gimmick?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Plenty of thread about this around if you search. I wouldn't introduce it into intake again since it just pushes everything down into the cylinders.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I was planning on using it in my gas tank and I didn't know if it would affect something. Plus, I've heard mixed reviews about it, even with me searching around. So I'm not sure what to believe.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It works fine in the gas tank if you follow the directions.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
i do a 3rd in the tank 1/3 in the brake boost line and 1/3 in the oil about 1 week or so before i change my oil. i do get get a lot of white smoke after i start it back up after the brake boost inhale, which is "cabon build up" getting blown out. i do feel that it helps clean the crank case from deposit and gunk that builds up between changes and what not and helps keep it as clean as possible. i doubt it really does much more than the "injector cleaners" when its in the gas tank, but i have nothing else to do with that 3rd so might as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Do the research

Good question to ask.

In short, the reading I've done lends to the notion that if you buy fuel from one of the major gas providers, the additives that they have in their fuel blends are enough to keep your engine running clean. However, not everyone buys from the big guys. So, lower grade fuels can cause buildup in the engine. When used sparingly, Seafoam (or the like) can remove deposits. The concern is what this or other additives do to your engine other than removing the 'harmful' deposits. Some suggest that prolonged use will damage the engine's soft petroleum based components. Basically, a bottle of the cleaner might not be mixed proportionately as prescribed and do some harm.

Here's a link to a related item - www.skepdic.com/comments/slickcom.html

I believe if you do a search on the web, you'll find other articles of a similar kind. Most suggest additives are 'snake oil' and not worth the investment. If that's what you conclude (as I did), try running the 'big guy's' fuel blends for a few tankfulls and see if your MPGs/Performance returns to norms. If not, a professional cleaning, while more expensive, might be a good alternative. Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Gas additives do nothing for the intake. The EGR and PCV systems introduce contaminents into the intake. They condense and solidify. Seafoam helps to soften and remove those deposits.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
I just did this process through the vacuum line. I can NOT vouch for any HP or performance gains. What I CAN tell you is that my truck idles and accelerates much much smoother. 150,000 miles on the odometer. I don't think I gained any better fuel economy even with the addition of the deckplate mod. Also I have the 2.7l 4 cylinder.

After further review the call on the field is overturned. I gained about 2mpg's.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
marvel mystery oil FTW!!! never used it in my tacoma, but worked well with my heep grand cherokee.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Run Chevron 90 octane. Take it on the highway and stomp on the gas a few times for about 10 seconds a piece. Does pretty much the same thing. You can also use TB cleaner and clean the TB. Once again, start it up, foot to the floor and take it on the highway again.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
03TACO44 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Fuels Laboratory Technican
Name: Adam
03TACO44's Tacoma Gallery
I have used it once. It gave me 1MPG increase.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
brandonlamb25 will become famous soon enough
brandonlamb25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TACO44 View Post
I have used it once. It gave me 1MPG increase.
First person I've seen on here from Valdosta. That's where I'm at. Nice.