Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

99 Tacoma 5 Speed - 2 amp draw with truck off

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
mcvoss is on a distinguished road
mcvoss's Tacoma Gallery
99 Tacoma 5 Speed - 2 amp draw with truck off

Guys,

I have a 2.3amp draw when everything is turned off. This is what I was wondering. I have a 99 4 cyl, 5 speed Tacoma. A week ago I disconnected the switch, and twisted the wires together, on the switch that is pressed when you depress the clutch to start the car. Could that be drawing the current becasue the wires are twisted together all the time? I am also curious what that switch is called.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Since I do not believe there is any voltage on that circuit with the key off, you shouldn't have the issue with that switch. That being said, it should be relatively easy to find such a big draw. Check your interior lights and make sure they are not on is a fast, easy check. Then you can disable the interior lights with the switch, and while measuring the parasitic draw, pull one fuse at a time until your draw goes away. Once you find the fuse powering the draw, it should be pretty simple to locate the fault. Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, I have seen that type of problem where a wire was pinched against metal. The insulation gradually failed, yielding a low resistance to ground. The failure didn't show up for a long time after the wire was pinched.

Just something to look for.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
AlaskanTaco will become famous soon enough

AlaskanTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you are giving plenty of time for the computers to shut down. GM says, "20 minutes to allow all modules to shut down." I say anything over a 60mA draw is to much. But, that is also on a Duramax. There is a equation that I can find that includes your CCA of your battery and amp rate hours. Next thing to do is start pulling fuses to isolate the circuit causing the issue.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
The obvious question, what aftermarket items are wired on the vehicle?

Like azreb said, it sounds like a wire to metal related draw if everything on the truck is stock.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
jfr02 will become famous soon enough

Army:
jfr02's Tacoma Gallery
disconect your alternator,the battery cable going to it I have seen this a few times.draws that large usualy not a small component.