1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KVA Intake Mix

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by T@co_Pr3runn3r, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Sep 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r [OP] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Had a K&N intake. Didn't like the open filter in the rain. Got a Volant intake. Didn't like how the tube had no support and no mounting point for the vacum deal or MAF harness. Didn't care for oiled filter on either of them. Had aFe Dry-flo universal cone. Soooooo, guess what happened? Used the K&N tube because it has support bracket, mounting for vacum deal & MAF harness. Used the Volant box and cut the hole out same size as the K&N divider wall has. Used the trim off the K&N divider for bumper. Used pipe insulator to further fill hole for bumper and to keep hot air from engine bay to minimum. Stuck the aFe dry-flo cone on it in the box and got some nice allens to replace phillips on lid to match allens on K&N tube for MAF mounting. So I ended up with non oiled washable filter in a box to stay dry that breathes thru fender well like oem did for cooler intake and has straight better path for air to throttle body. Yes, it still makes noise but not as much as when filter was open. I don't really feel the low end change like before with just K&N. Not sure of mpg yet and haven't driven enough after resetting ecu to get full effect either. Here's some pics........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, question.....anyone think there would there be any benefit to removing the baffle in the fender well? Also want to make clear lid.

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    very nice!

3. Oct 8, 2012 at 3:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Thanks. The sound is weird. Not the brrrrrraapppppp sound like the naked K&N had at all. Hard to describe. The aFe filter is a different size, the box muffles what sound there is and overall is just a magnified low frequency increase of the stock sound, if that makes any sense. You can definitely hear it but it isn't even all the time like before, only from mid to high rpms. It was almost disturbing at first and didn't think I'd be sticking with it but it's kinda growing on me. I know everyone will just say show me the dyno but I'll say it anyway...it feels a bit freer at all speeds and don't notice the low end change like before. Doesn't seem to take as much pedal to move it. First tank was a wash as far as mpg since the ecu had been reset and I gave it a dose of Lucas inj cleaner. Just into 2nd tank of just gas and I'll see how the next couple or few go before passing judgement on that. Not expecting any real change tho.

4. Oct 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Good job, that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy! lol...

5. Oct 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    GEORGE STRAIT

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    Did the AFE cone fit on the volant box without any modification? I like this idea. I have the AFE CAI because of the non-oil aspect, but the "heat sheild" is shitty and pretty exposed.

6. Oct 15, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I modified the opening in the Volant Box to be same size as K&N opening in the divider wall thing and used the trim piece off it. I already had the aFe filter that was going to be used on a different project but didn't get used. I used a big PVC coupling, maybe 1/8" thick at most, to fit inside the K&N intake tube and for the aFe filter to fit over because the filter would not fit over the intake tube. No mods were done to the actual filter. Next thing I need to do is remove the baffle in the fender well and get a piece of stainless mesh to put over the end of the port on the Volant box going into the fender well to keep animals or trash out of it to see if that helps out any.

Oh, back to the original question about filter fitting in the box.........Due to the nature of access to clamps utilizing the box, I had to connect filter to intake tube before attaching intake tube to throttle body or tightening down the support clamp. So to clean the filter I will have to detach the whole thing instead of just the filter but small hassle for having the enclosed filter in the box.

7. Oct 21, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Nice combo man! :thumbsup:

8. Nov 2, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Added the ram air scoop to the Volant box............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Made a clear lid out of some thick stuff called Optix. Smallest piece they sell was 18x24" so I have some left for anyone else wanting a clear lid for their TRD, aFe or Volant boxes. All I used was 8 3/4 x 9 3/8. Wasn't diggin the ram air intake so it'll probably go up for sale. Here's new pics.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Sweet! I'd be interested in a lid for my volant

11. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    Corvus

Corvus As the crow flies

Member:
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 2.7 5sp 4x4
    Looks sweet! Liking that lid :D

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    thanks, had to do somethin. the scratched up paint over chrome sharpie touch up volant one had to go. now i can see if filter needs cleaning without opening it up

13. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    what didnt you like about the ram air?

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Well, the point of the Volant box for me was to have the filter away from engine bay heat, moisture and dust/dirt. the ram air is a direct path for moisture and dust and bugs to the filter. The truck seems happy enough with the protection of the baffle inside the wheel well. I used a patch cut from a 3 buck black plastic garbage can to block off the vents in the front of the wheel well on that side. This also keeps crap off the back of the fog light in there. The ram air added no noticeable gain in mpg or pwr so the faster dirtying of the filter wasn't worth it for me. Maybe on the v6 it would be different.

15. Nov 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I made an extra Volant size clear lid from the leftover piece of Optix. Looks just the same as the one above in my pics. Used my box to make sure everything fit and holes lined up. Still has protective film on both sides except peeled back on one side to drill holes for mounting screws. Woulda had 2 but the last coupla inches of the last cut on the 2nd piece chipped the fucking corner of it off barely too much to be of use on this. So the extra one is cut, rounded off corners and holes drilled. Going to see about some 1/4" tiny weather stripping for mine and will do the 2nd one as well. Don't think it really needs it but the Volant lid had the whole bottom covered with rubber layer to seal it. I have PM'd benbacher about the extra clear lid and will honor his expressed interest until hearing otherwise....or for a few days anyway. I do have the original Volant lid if anyone out there needs it, for basically shipping cost to lower 48. Also, volant ram air scoop coming soon to an FS thread near you, local preference but will ship to lower 48. Will fit 4 or 6 cyl Volant intakes on Tacomas.

Products Discussed in

To Top