Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Going from 265 Cs to 285 Ps

Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Going from 265 Cs to 285 Ps

I know a lot of people ask these questions so I will chime in with my tire swap today.
Today I went from 265/70/17 BFgoodrich ATs C rated to 285/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2s P rated.
Right off the bat the noise is WAY lower, the drive is 10 times smoother, and the truck keeps momentum a lot easier then the BFs, so Im guessing I will see an easy 1 or more better MPG when this tank is finished.
The power seems the exact same, nothing I didnt expect because the BFs weighted 45.75lbs and the Revos 46lbs. So the same there.
All around driving though the truck is so much smoother going back to the P rated tires it started with. Some people will say they are not tough enough, but yet they have a max weight of 2864lbs (or close to it) per tire and the BFs only have a 2650 or so. So really I should be able to carry more with these.
I did NOT have to regear, and nor will I because I dont feel the need. I have plenty power and can do whatever I did before.
I have very happy I went with the Revo and cant wait to drive it more and see how it works in other conditions. I will update when I use it more
Old 10-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it has to do with your alignment
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Maybe it has to do with your alignment
I dont think, its less rough and not hard hitting bumps now
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
What pressure did you have in the old tires? What are the new ones inflated to?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
What pressure did you have in the old tires? What are the new ones inflated to?
not sure of the old ones, but I assume to the normal specs. I will check mine later
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
It can be dangerous to make assumptions. Without knowing these details, it is hard to properly attribute the difference in the ride. If you happened to be running way over-inflated with the old tires and are now at a more reasonable pressure, that could have a major impact. In fact, it could be vastly more than the difference between the tires themselves.

An unfortunate problem with having "someone else" manage tire inflation (which is what your response suggests), is that there is a very high chance that they inflate to what is written on the sidewall instead of the proper spec. In the case of a "C" tire, that would probably be 50 to 55 psi. Proper inflation is about 30.

A dedicated tire shop will be more likely to follow the proper spec for the vehicle than, for example, a gas station, so I would imagine that they are now somewhere around 30.

In any event though, the main point is that you are happy with them as they are now, and their limits are well above the limits of your truck, so there is no problem with capacity.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It can be dangerous to make assumptions. Without knowing these details, it is hard to properly attribute the difference in the ride. If you happened to be running way over-inflated with the old tires and are now at a more reasonable pressure, that could have a major impact. In fact, it could be vastly more than the difference between the tires themselves.

An unfortunate problem with having "someone else" manage tire inflation (which is what your response suggests), is that there is a very high chance that they inflate to what is written on the sidewall instead of the proper spec. In the case of a "C" tire, that would probably be 50 to 55 psi. Proper inflation is about 30.

A dedicated tire shop will be more likely to follow the proper spec for the vehicle than, for example, a gas station, so I would imagine that they are now somewhere around 30.

In any event though, the main point is that you are happy with them as they are now, and their limits are well above the limits of your truck, so there is no problem with capacity.
Or the Toyota dealer did that to me once on my 285/75/16 Bfg load E they filled them up to 50 psi I was like what the fuck
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

Ya I will double check. But I'm sure these are at the right psi. They just make the truck feel back to stock. I like that feeling
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
DPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dylan
DPR921's Tacoma Gallery
any update on what your getting for mpg?