1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why do so many people hate toyota???

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by toyota4wd, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I had no issues with driving my 06 Chevy Colorado. I don't haul heavy loads, but need a truck since I do so many house projects. I bought it June 07 as a last yr model and got it for about $17k. By comparison the 07 was stripped bare. Mine had the slider, already had the bedliner, tilt, cruise, 4wd.

I planned to keep it 10 years (pay for 5, keep 5 more) and that's attainable since I do about 15k a year.

What got me out of it was the dreaded P0300 head issue they had in some. Even at that I know nothing's perfect, but the dealer claimed not to know of the TSB telling the dealer to perform the leakdown and if it failed then it's a new head if under 7yrs/100k...until I showed it to him. SOB then charged me $1300 for a new cam and timing chain which the head ruined, told me he can't comp it but GM will reimburse me. GM just told me they don't do it, the dealer has to. Well the dealer told me earlier this week to go screw.

I might well have wanted out of it either way just in case, but had they made me whole I'm sure I would have bought another GM. To treat me that way is just awful service. Scooping up my '10 Tacoma with 6500 put a smile on my face.

FORD

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead

F***ed-up Owner, Real Dumbass

Flipped Over Rebuilt Dodge

A friend who owned a Mustang once said "yeah but it's First On Race Day!" Good one, but I fired right back "First On Repair Day!"

2. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    you live in Iowa. That's all you had to say for me to understand.

3. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    flashsplat

flashsplat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SM 4X4 DC TRD Off Road
    I put gas in it...
    Wow on the Chevy thing. Even at that, GM should have made it right. Your issue was with the dealer, but that dealer is representing GM. When I got my '09 Taco back in the day, the radio didn't work. Toyota replaced the radio and gave me $1200 for driving with it that way for 2 months. That's service!

Fords really not all that bad though :p... Toyota is even working with them on a Hybrid engine for trucks that is efficient but still has towing power. I mean, if Toyota likes them, they can't be all that bad right?

4. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Toyota had dealings with GM for a long time, all the way back to the geo prizm/toyota corolla twins that came out of the same plant as many Tacomas. Didn't seem to cure their cracked heads-every valve rattling-oil leaking-engine ticking. :p

Oops, I just described the 1GR. Toyota must have caught something from GM.

Easy to hate a foreign company because of tribal instincts...

5. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    What gets me is the service mgr (who I have been dealing with) worked at another GM dealer until a couple of months ago with my brother in law (yes, the service mgr knows that). I sent the owner of the dealership a letter yesterday, giving that about a week..then I will really get nasty.

Seeing how Toyota took care of my wife with the 2008 buyback showed me something. I told the GM rep about that and asked "what do you think is more likely, the 13 yr old truck rusting in New England or the 5 yr old truck that's well maintained needing $5k of engine?"

Still blows my mind that the dealer did that and the corporate office tells me because of that I'm outta luck. Like I'm supposed to know that teh dealer is supposed to do it and I can't..

6. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    4x4Taco2012

4x4Taco2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Huntingdon Valley, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB Limited 4x4
    TRD lift, TRD SEMA wheels, TRD skid plate, TRD Pro fog lights, TRD Heritage Grill, OEM bed cover, LT275/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws, OEM bed lights, OEM all weather floor mats, OEM door skid plates, OEM mud guards, OEM bed mat, Black lug nuts

They're just jealous. We all know there isn't another mid-size truck out there that can touch the Tacoma.

7. Oct 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Oh, when they give you a hard time (about driving a Toyota), baffle them with BS. Just tell them you drove [ insert whatever they're driving ] for years, but decided to switch after the manufacturer started using so many foreign-made parts. When they give you a strange look, tell them, "Yea, everything from the tires to the radio comes from overseas. My Toyota, on the other hand, was built in Texas."

That will give them something to think about. And, of course, none of it is exactly untrue - absolutely every vehicle today contains parts or materials made overseas (rubber for the tires, electronics inside the radio, etc). The BS is that the Toyota uses nearly the same stuff (rubber, electronics, etc).

AxisCab likes this.
  8. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    AlaskanTaco

AlaskanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 acc cab tacoma
    ABA, I was the one who did those heads ALL THE FUCKING TIME! As far as the timing chain goes, I have NEVER EVER had to replace one! They charged you for it because the tech didn't know how to do the timing right! I can get those fuckers done in less then 5 hours! I can literally do them with my eyes closed. I have probably done WELL over 60 of them in 4 years. You made a good choice and getting a Yoda!

9. Oct 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    toyota4wd

toyota4wd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    OME 887s Dakar Leafs, SPC UCAs, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Kenwood touchscreen, diff breather mod, Magnaflow 22in. muffler, AFE Pro dry S air filter, secondary charcoal filter delete. Soon to come Warn M8000 winch on a a Westin winch trey, full retros with demon eyes
    Yes exactly haha

10. Oct 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
    It's strange people look down at my Tacoma because it's foreign when all the time it was made in California. Our SRX Cadillac which is an American made car is actually a product of Mexico. Most people in Kentucky look very favorably toward Toyota because the Camry factory and engine factory are located in Lexington and employs a lot of Ky people. Moral of the story you can't fix stupid and people with closed minds don't want to be confused with facts. Mean while I'll just keep on truckin in my Taco.
    Bill

george101 likes this.
  11. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Love my Tacoma ... would only love it more if it was a "J-Car aka J-Truck" ... :D

12. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Honestly, IMO, our trucks are better quality than most, if not all, Merican made trucks. Maybe they're jealous because they have to do repairs on their ford's/chevy's/gmc's every 200 miles and we don't? :notsure:

13. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Are fords better now? The ford F-150 ecoboost is starting to grow on me....

14. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Because people are retarded and don't know quality when they see it. They've been brainwashed into buying the crap offered by the Big 3 and don't know any better. Toyotas are excellent vehicles, simple, affordable, and reliable, what more could you ask? It's hard finding a vehicle in those 3 configurations this day and age.

15. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    LegitGreenTaco

LegitGreenTaco Photosynthesis.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular cab base A/C fixed now.
    Westin lights, Westin Light bar holder, New front bumper, Custom floor matts, Steering wheel cover, board in bed to keep groceries from rolling around, new radio, New flat bed cover.
    Here is what I think Make of it what you wish

People think Japanese manufactures are not original. They are bland. Although they are reliable they have a mass produced plastic appliance feel to them. (any new car has that nowadays in my opinion) There is just no passion to those cars in some peoples opinion. You get what I am saying?

And when you say everyone you mean a small portion of people with closed minds that hate change and that have loud voices.

16. Nov 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    EjF

EjF You'll never make a saint of me

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Central, MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Roof Rack, Tubes, Truxedo LoProQ, Tints, Ziebart under coat & sound deadening, Truck Bet Mat, G-Tek Fab diamond plate sills
    In my lifetime I've owned 3 Tacoma'ss, 1 4Runner, and 2 Tundra's. Other than regular maintenance and ware and tear I never had to repair them. That makes Toyota a 1st choice. The End.

17. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    Treeman1942

Treeman1942 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Evart, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Limited 4x4, DoubleCab Short Box
    Factory running boards WeatherTech floor mats
    For me, I wouldn't consider any UAW made vehicle. Just too closely connected to the political party I loathe!!! Plus, Japanese made vehicles are far better quality, particularly, Toyota's!!!

18. Nov 16, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Toyota is more made in America than their trucks....

19. Nov 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    And the best part you get a new frame every 5-10 years:D

20. Nov 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    SilverJack

SilverJack no one

Member:
    I had my Ranger for 13 years, cheap to buy and upgrade when stuff breaks, just about everything breaks, so you upgrade a lot. Joined a ton of Ford truck forums. Common comment "when I get enough money, I'm buying a Toyota".
    Talked to a lot of Chevy S10 guys along the years, Common comment "If this thing breaks one more time, I'm getting a Toyota".

My Taco was made in Texas, the birthplace of the pickup. My friends love it, and it's comfortable as hell. You made a great purchase.

BTW - for some reason, most pickup truck drivers hate Jeeps. I guess it's because they are either broke down in front of you on the trail or driving slowly in the highway fast lane. I guess it's a Jeep thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top