LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Dipstick Inaccuracy?

Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
themeat424 is on a distinguished road
themeat424's Tacoma Gallery
Dipstick Inaccuracy?

I changed my oil today, and after reading threads on here about how much oil to replace, I decided to first put in 5.5 quarts. I let the truck sit on level ground for about 40 minutes and then checked the dipstick. It's reading well above the full mark. I checked several times and kept getting the same reading. If I looked harder maybe I saw the oil looking a little "thicker" half way between the low and full markings, but I might just be looking for something. So now I'm wondering what to rely on. Do we just go with the 6 quarts the manual says to add and negate the dipstick? I understand some oil is still sitting in the motor, but exactly how much is that? Kinda confusing...
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
sprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedsprocketdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sprocketdog's Tacoma Gallery
Did you start the truck up after the change to cycle the oil in the filter and passages?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
dipstick should be fairly accurate...
unless you have a dent in the oil pan.

sample your oil level after you've started/shut down the motor
thus allowing the old oil to mix with the new.

btw... the oil level is acceptable...
as long as it reads between the lower and upper fill lines.

tho' most folk prefer to be nearer the upper fill line.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
My owners manual says 5.5 qts but that shows up above the full mark on the stick... 5.25 qts puts it spot on.
Also depends on how long you let oil drain. Every drop adds up
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Run the engine to circulate the oil.
Shut down.
Remove the dipstick and wipe.
Wait 5 minutes.
Insert and remove the dipstick.

But it's a gauge... it's not a meter. As said, between the dots is fine, and from the top to bottom dot is about a quart difference.

On an oil change, just use 5.5 and you're good.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Yes I started the engine and let it idle for a little. I also drove around before I parked it to sit and then 40 minutes later I checked the dipstick. Unless the oil is being spread on the dipstick while pulling it out, it reads well above the top dot. And yes I do support the stick and hold it horizontally.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
some residual oil stays up on the head/valvetrain...
so you will never be able to drain it completely.

I'd suspect that you added too much using 5.5 qts

have fun removing the excess

* I put 5.75 qts in mine with an over sized filter
Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
david2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavid2011sr5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: take a guess
david2011sr5's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine 3 hours ago. Added 5.5 qts ran it for 5 min and checked. It read well above the second mark, so I let it sit for a bit re-checked it and was spot on. This may be obvious but wipe the dip stick clean and insert, than immediately pull dip stick. If you let the dipstick sit to long you may be allowing residual oil from the tube to get on dip stick.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post

have fun removing the excess

* I put 5.75 qts in mine with an over sized filter
I actually installed a Fumoto oil drain valve, so removing some oil is actually nothing more than opening the valve for a couple seconds
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Start the engine, let it run a few minutes. Shut it off, wait 3 minutes. Then check the engine oil. It's ok to have a little extra.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 is fine.
Gelo likes to put in 6 and he's overfilling it but he'll argue that point all day (as he did in a thread 6 months ago).
Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder, you made no mention of changing the filter. Did a new filter get bought, and still lies on your workbench still in the box? ( member of the OH NO! club )
Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDurchy View Post
I wonder, you made no mention of changing the filter. Did a new filter get bought, and still lies on your workbench still in the box? ( member of the OH NO! club )
This is not my first time changing the oil on a car or truck Yes the filter was changed with a purolator pureone, which looks to be the same size as the oem filter.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds about right... here's my experience (2006 2.7L):
6 quarts (w/filter) puts me well above the full mark
5.5 quarts (w/filter) reads just above the full mark
5 quarts (w/filter) reads just below the full mark

Been running it with 5qt and no problems, as expected, since the level is well between the marks. I might go with a little more oil (5.5) during the summer months when increased cooling capacity might help.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
That sounds about right... here's my experience (2006 2.7L):
6 quarts (w/filter) puts me well above the full mark
5.5 quarts (w/filter) reads just above the full mark
5 quarts (w/filter) reads just below the full mark

Been running it with 5qt and no problems, as expected, since the level is well between the marks. I might go with a little more oil (5.5) during the summer months when increased cooling capacity might help.
Exactly, so now is the dipstick telling the true story on what the oil level should be? or do we just go with the manual that says 6 quarts? Basically, can we confirm that the 6 quarts mentioned in the manual is referring to a completely dry engine, and that when doing a full oil change with filter there is still approximately a half quart sitting in the motor?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
The dipstick in the cubicle beside me is not very accurate but that is my problem of the day.............
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
Try the PL20195 for an oversized PureOne filter.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeat424 View Post
Exactly, so now is the dipstick telling the true story on what the oil level should be? or do we just go with the manual that says 6 quarts? Basically, can we confirm that the 6 quarts mentioned in the manual is referring to a completely dry engine, and that when doing a full oil change with filter there is still approximately a half quart sitting in the motor?
I go by the reading on the dip stick.

The Chilton's manual says the same thing as my owners manual for engine/gear oil capacities except they mention...
* All capacities approximate. Add as necessary to bring to appropriate level.