Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

It Was Dark, I Was Tired ... Yadda Yadda Yadda Poured Oil Into Power Steering. HELP!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
ToyOwner is on a distinguished road
ToyOwner's Tacoma Gallery
It Was Dark, I Was Tired ... Yadda Yadda Yadda Poured Oil Into Power Steering. HELP!

So the internets say that everything is fabulous; I just have flush the power steering. And the internets say that everything is terrible and that I'm going to destroy my rack and pinion ...

I haven't started the engine, and managed to get a good deal of it out with a turkey baster. It's in a grocery store parking lot, so I'm hoping I can do whatever I need to do with it right there.

It's a Tacoma 4X4 four banger, 2.7 I believe, if that helps at all.

Any advice appreciated (and yes, you can laugh, it's okay)!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
might be able to pull the lines off the rack and point them in a buck to drain the rest. if not, I don't see it doing any harm. at least you didn't pour it in the radiator...
Old 10-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
fawk...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
exploringcarolina will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
exploringcarolina's Tacoma Gallery
My 03 Tacoma manual calls for Dexron II or III for the steering system (hydraulic system).

We used to run motor oil (10W40) or hydraulic oil or Dexron III as hydraulic fluids in railroad roadway equipment hydraulic systems for tie & rail installation. Sometimes we would mix different fluids when changing oil, without issues.

Like Btnewman, I don't see any harm either.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Good luck. That's pretty Krazie....
I see what you did there
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Good luck. That's pretty Krazie....
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say drain what you can and fill it with power steering fluid. Run it a couple days then drain it again and refill it. Should be fine
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
OK First - don't panic.

Second, yeah you're gonna want to flush it and put in the right fluid.

And flushing it is a bit of a messy job.

So really, if it was me? I'd just drive it to the nearest 'oil quick change lube' type joint and have them flush it for me. They're set up with tubes and exchangers to do fluid flushes as neatly as possible. Whereas if you DIY this particular job, you're gonna end up with more spilled fluid under the hood.

Now if a quick oil place wasn't close by, I might use a big syringe or gear oil pump to remove the fluid out of the reservoir, then refill it with actual power steering fluid before I drove over there for a complete flush.

But as self inflicted hassles go, this is fairly small time. Do take care of it right way, but don't worry, be happy.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting for hilarity to ensue!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
I'd say drain what you can and fill it with power steering fluid. Run it a couple days then drain it again and refill it. Should be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
OK First - don't panic.

Second, yeah you're gonna want to flush it and put in the right fluid.

And flushing it is a bit of a messy job.

So really, if it was me? I'd just drive it to the nearest 'oil quick change lube' type joint and have them flush it for me. They're set up with tubes and exchangers to do fluid flushes as neatly as possible. Whereas if you DIY this particular job, you're gonna end up with more spilled fluid under the hood.

Now if a quick oil place wasn't close by, I might use a big syringe or gear oil pump to remove the fluid out of the reservoir, then refill it with actual power steering fluid before I drove over there for a complete flush.

But as self inflicted hassles go, this is fairly small time. Do take care of it right way, but don't worry, be happy.
Both are the correct answer. You choose the solution.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
No one has asked why he was changing his oil in a grocery store parking lot?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
No one has asked why he was changing his oil in a grocery store parking lot?
It's pretty obvious, no oil change involved, - just late at night, low on oil, go into the store, buy two quarts, come back out, flip open the lid (they're within what, six inches of each other?) start pouring.... GAAAK!!!

And the lesson to be learned? Don't let your truck get so low on oil in the first place that you need to add oil under those circumstances.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I'm here to supervise.
oh good!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
Thanks, all!

Quote:
And the lesson to be learned? Don't let your truck get so low on oil in the first place that you need to add oil under those circumstances.
Yeah, that. And THIS: Never become so comfortable with doing something that you don't even bother to think about it anymore. I'd added oil a thousand times without incident. It was as familiar as taking a whiz. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Okay, so, I siphoned the fluid out, and, refilled it with ATM, and given what was said here, I'm going to drive it to a quick lube to get it flushed out tomorrow.

Right? Does anyone want to scare the hell out of me so I can agonize over this a little more? Last chance!

THANKS!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
michael roberts is on a distinguished road
michael roberts's Tacoma Gallery
if you are really sweating about damaging it, have it towed.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyOwner View Post
Okay, so, I siphoned the fluid out, and, refilled it with ATM, and given what was said here, I'm going to drive it to a quick lube to get it flushed out tomorrow.

Right? Does anyone want to scare the hell out of me so I can agonize over this a little more? Last chance!

THANKS!
Boo. Happy Halloween. :frankensteinsmonster: