1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

double cab 4x2

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by bagman94, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Oct 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    bagman94

bagman94 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just wondering if anyone has a double cab 4x2. Im thinking of getting one and want to see what you do with it. and any pointers.

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Scott SD

Scott SD Member

Member:
    just bought a '13 Prerunner Doublecab 4 cylinder last month. I love it. I commute far and like 4 cylinder trucks. I had an '06 Ranger and an '04 Frontier. Liked the Ranger, hated the Frontier. I wanted a small truck the size of a Ranger, but the only truck is the Colorado, which I did not like at all. The Tacoma is a little big for me, but it is a really nice truck. Since it is a 4 cylinder you do have to adjust your driving style to maximize mileage. It is underpowered, but that was expected. Still better than the Frontier. I'll use it for commuting, bringing things home from Home Depot, an occasional yard of gravel or rock, and some very infrequent towing. I have a small trailer that I tow with a VW on it. Apprx 3000 lbs. The Tacoma should tow it fine. I just finished installing the hitch, wiring harness, brake controller, and trans cooler as I plan to drive back east soon towing the trailer.

3. Oct 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM
    scaplus

scaplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Personally, if you do get the 4X2 Double Cab Base model, it looks really awkward and low. That's personally my opinion but I'd rather go with a PreRunner if you do go that route.

Of course, it's not going to be as fast and powerful, but you do get the MPG's as some of the people that do have it, show. If you are planning to go up hills a lot, it's going to be quite annoying. When I go to the mountains or even up a steep hill on the interstate, I always switch to 3D to get it going.

But other than that, it's a great truck and really dependable, with low maintenance compared to the V6. I shoulda gotten the Double Cab over the Access Cab, but o well.

4. Oct 25, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    TrailerParkJesus

TrailerParkJesus Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tundra
    I have a '12 Double Cab 4 cylinder Pre Runner. Does what I need it to do even though there's still some power to be desired, but I do get 23-24 mpg on mixed highway and city driving.

For towing, the most I'll ever tow is a 5x10 box trailer. I can tow 2 dirtbikes just fine in it. Toyota really does make a bulletproof 4 cylinder.

5. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    applawman

applawman Well-Known Member

Member:
    OBX
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC SB Pre-Runner
    I have a '12 Double Cab Pre-Runner 2.7L and it is a good truck. Didnt like the looks of the base model, so I went with the pre-runner. I will say that this is my 6th Toyota pickup, and 1st 4x2, and I kinda miss the 4wd. Otherwise it does seem underpowered, but it gets good gas mileage

6. Oct 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    BchLVers

BchLVers Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 Pre Runner
    UWS Powder Coated Black Tool Box. More Mods are on the way
    Have a 2012 DC 2.7 Pre Runner and love it. Moved from Florida to Tennessee in the past month and got 29 mpg on the drive and had no issues climbing hills. Driving around the Knoxville area and cruising around thru the Smokies I've only dropped it into 3D only a couple of times, so it has plenty of power for what I need. You can't go wrong with a Tacoma Pre Runner 2.7

7. Nov 4, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    bagman94

bagman94 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info Im really researching it and just looking at my options but definitely liking to taco.

8. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    Goatus

Goatus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road TX MGM
    Floor Liners, AFe Filter, Leer Cap, Bed Mat, Roof rack, Cap Rack, Rack Rack, Burt Bacharach
    The none prerunner is generally accepted to look like a pregnant roller skate but I've found the smaller wheels/tires do make the truck feel noticably more powerful over the prerunner.

9. Nov 7, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    Goatus

Goatus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road TX MGM
    Floor Liners, AFe Filter, Leer Cap, Bed Mat, Roof rack, Cap Rack, Rack Rack, Burt Bacharach
    "Non-prerunner"^

10. Nov 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    trooper12

trooper12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    maxtrac 4" lift spindles, wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf pack. nothin special...
    I have a 2012 DCSB 2.7 auto Prerunner, and i use it for everything. it is defiantly not the fastest truck, about 0-60 in 13.5 seconds.
    But i go offroading with it, its good in the dirt, sand, and mud. But if you need to romp on it to get up a hill or out of a sticky situation, its hopeless even with the trac off it still seems to cut power.
    For towing I tow a 3,500 pound boat on an 800 pound trailer, and it does just fine. It even makes it up a ridiculously steep and slippery ramp. I dont know how it does it, but it makes it out no problem with the fully loaded boat and usually with 2 or 3 people sitting in it.

the only real issue with it is hills on the highway, it kills this truck. somethimes to maintain only 70mph i drop it into 2nd and wind that little 4 cyl out. for cursing on the highway at 75 it stays in 3rd and its at 3,500+ rpm for hours. but i guess ill see if it eventually blows up. :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top