Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Considering Tacoma 4X4

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
russtruck is on a distinguished road
Name: Russ
russtruck's Tacoma Gallery
Considering Tacoma 4X4

I am considering a 2013 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4X4 4 cylinder automatic. I test drove one yesterday and was impressed by the quality and quietness but was concerned by the feeling of a lack of power. The truck only had 8 miles on it so I can understand the engine not being broken in having some impact. I would like to hear from other owners about the power issue. I won't be towing or hauling heavy roads and it will be a daily driver. Thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
4 Bangin' SOB
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Do it. I love my reg cab 4x4 auto. Its not fast by any means but it gets great mpgs and has plenty of pep for me driving around town.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont have a lead foot you will be fine. The truck you drove will probably be the same power as the one you get. Now if you got the 5 speed manual then it would be better. I drove both and would not get the automatic, if you get the 4 cylinder you have to get the 5 speed.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 AC 4cyl auto now, I traded in a V8 F-150 on. It takes some getting used to. It's only about a month now,
I've learned to get a running start getting on the parkway.
In truth it's not all that bad, if you put your foot in the Tacoma it will go, just don't expect it to go in a hurry.

I've justed my driving to suit the truck. I can tell you the Tacoma is light years a way from the Ford in quality, it's a much better truck.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW

Driven both the AT and MT with the 4 banger... if you go with the 4 banger, get the MT for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on my 4th 4Banger Toyota truck all MT.
1st three were RC 5luggers.
Now I drive a 4x4 AC. Finally the seat goes back far enough to be comfortable (6'3" and seat is three notches from all the way back). If you are close to or over 6' I suggest you try a AC.
Enough power to run 33.3" tires.

Number 3 in background that I kept to haul firewood. I recently sold it since I don't cut wood any more. It was hard getting back into the RC after driving the AC.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 AC 4cyl auto. It is extremely gutless and gets poor fuel economy. I should update my fuelly. For your intended use, I think you will be fine. Mine is "loaded" and I use that term lightly with a canopy and about 3-400 lbs of tools in the box and it is really not made to haul anything more than some groceries.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Really should go 5 speed, the auto is gutless on the highway, they seem fine around town though. Typically in my past experience, most 4 bangers don't go well with autos. If you buy a new one with a manual it will be gutless until it is completely broken in, but after that they scoot just fine, I can even break the rear tires loose on mine from a dead stop if I want, cant do a smokey burnout, but they bark pretty loudly. I side with 4Wheelin4Banger on getting a Access Cab, look at the extra space behind the seats as dry and secure storage space. I have a 67 Ford F250 with a single cab and there is hardly no space inside for anything but 2 people, plus with RCs the seats don't go back very far if you are tall and long-legged, that would make long drives a pain in the ass. But it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend the 5 spd aswell .
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4-banger Access Cab RWD Auto and I kinda regret not having a 4X4 Manual. Like most people said, the 4-banger will get the work done with your use but isn't amazingly powerful. When I'm going up to the mountains, it's kinda a pain in the butt with the Auto, and I always have to switch between 2-3 engine braking all the time -.-

As for MPG's, you'll get em, I get 23/24 mpg's combined going decently fast (75mph+) and considering I have a lead foot XD
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
engineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to beholdengineerd is a splendid one to behold
engineerd's Tacoma Gallery
I have the manual 4 banger 4x4 and never considered anything else. I really don't understand the idea of somebody who enjoys driving, off road or otherwise, getting behind an automatic. It seems to me like climbing mountains with oxygen: Its easier, but so what?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Sloweburn is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Sloweburn's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the AC manual 4 banger and I love it. I've got 33's on it and it's still fine for my driving - just have to down shift for those long up hills. Performs great off road and I've even towed an FJC off a trail with no problems.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerd View Post
I really don't understand the idea of somebody who enjoys driving, off road or otherwise, getting behind an automatic.
If you ever spent 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic, getting on or off Long Island---you would understand.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
If you ever spent 2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic, getting on or off Long Island---you would understand.
True dat .
Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Surfinpig is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: 88 MP is the patch but many other units
Name: Eric
Surfinpig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBerJim View Post
With that said, 5 speed. But if you really want an auto, AC 6 cylinder probably get the same mileage.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
With that said, 5 speed. But if you really want an auto, AC 6 cylinder probably get the same mileage.
It would. It would also add to the sticker price.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
wags is on a distinguished road
wags's Tacoma Gallery
I own a 2012 Tacoma SR5 package 4x4 w/4cyl 5-speed transmission. And yes, it's a little under-powered. But I knew that when I test drove one. Like you there has been no towing or heavy load hauling (I don't baby it either). Mainly a commuter on rainy days and winter months driving. It sits more than it's driven.

All in all it's a very robust little vehicle that has a proven bullet proof 2.7 liter engine. I expect to have it many years. And yes I'm glad I have it. See my fuelly.com link for mpg history. Truck is completely stock. Best of luck.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
Tunngavik has a spectacular aura aboutTunngavik has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jason
Tunngavik's Tacoma Gallery
Not to hijack this thread but how to you guys get the Fuelly Report to show up on your posts?

Now to add to the thread, I have never driven the automatic but do have to say that once the engine is broken in (at least 18,000 kms) there is a noticeable difference in power. The truck is still "gutless" is some respects but if I wanted something faster then I would have bought the 6 cylinder. Also, if you are constantly in stop and go traffic then the 5 speed can be a bit of a pain and an automatic may be a better choice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I own a 2012 Tacoma SR5 package 4x4 w/4cyl 5-speed transmission. And yes, it's a little under-powered. But I knew that when I test drove one. Like you there has been no towing or heavy load hauling (I don't baby it either). Mainly a commuter on rainy days and winter months driving. It sits more than it's driven.

All in all it's a very robust little vehicle that has a proven bullet proof 2.7 liter engine. I expect to have it many years. And yes I'm glad I have it. See my fuelly.com link for mpg history. Truck is completely stock. Best of luck.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
rlvilleman is on a distinguished road
Marines: Turbine Mechanic
Name: Will
rlvilleman's Tacoma Gallery
I've driven both the manual and the auto. Just depends on what you want. You do end up slappin the auto yourself on mountain roads. This is my fourth toyota four banger though. You can't go wrong..... It's what the brand was founded on.