1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No fuel filter for 2010?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by paid4c4, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
  2. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    have you tried a different source? Autozone is okay if you walk in if you know exactly what you need and where to locate it in the store but sometimes the "professionals" dont know what they are talking about...

3. Oct 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    paid4c4

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    I tried KOI which is a large auto parts seller in the area. KOI's books all show the 2010 Tac 4 cylinder has a non-serviceable fuel filter. I also checked Rock Auto.com and they don't show a fuel filter either?
    Bill

4. Oct 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    thats weird... all i know is that the fuel filter is hard to do self service on because its in the filler neck going into the gas tank. i would assume you have to drop the tank just to change the filter. also reason its there is to prevent people from siphoning fuel out of the tank for their benefit

5. Oct 25, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    That's because the 2.7's fuel filter is a sock filter that's located in the fuel tank. URD makes a fuel pump kit that comes with an external fuel filter. I've thought about buying it myself but just haven't gotten around to it. You have to either drop the tank or take the bed off in order to install it.

6. Oct 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That Filtran power steering filter you show in post #1 above is great; I got mine at Pep Boys in a Purolator box (Purolator part no. 1320) for about $9.50. I took it apart after about 6,000mi. to see what was inside. There is a great big magnet in the form of a cylinder the size of the I.D. of the housing and a 25 micron pleated paper filter (25 micron nominal, according to the manufacturer). There is also a bypass valve.

The screen in the bottom of the power steering reservoir looks to be about 200 micron in size so it does basically nothing for filtering anything but large swarf.

You would not believe the amount of fine iron the Filtran magnet takes out. There are some SAE technical papers floating around by a couple of guys who spent their lives doing failure analysis of automatic transmissions and power steering units. They say it is the fine iron that kills these things and removal by magnets and the fine filters will make them last much, much longer. I'll post the links if I can find them.

7. Nov 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    disk_55FL

disk_55FL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    disk
    Buckeye
    '17 TRD Sport MT
    Bump for the promised links........:confused:

8. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    Taco'09

Member:
    Hi disk_55FL,

I kept at least one of those papers on my bookmarks or downloads for a long time and can't find it. I'll try tonight to google search it again and see if some of the hits jog my memory and see if I can find it again

Thanks for the reminder.

9. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    How often are you supposed to change the in-tank filter?

Jeez, I figure when that time comes I'll just add an external one and pull the old in-tank one.

10. Nov 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    Taco'09

Member:
    disk_55FL,

The first papers on proper automatic transmissions and power steering filtering appear about 1989 from work by John G. Eleftherahis and Ibrahim Khalil.

1. For the really technical reads from these authors unfortunately I botched a pdf download (sorry) but do this: Google search Optimizing Automatic Transmission Filtration. Its just one of the papers by Eleftherahis and Khalil where they do an analysis and begin to make specific recommendations ultimately leading in later papers to the problem with fine iron. Its the 3rd hit from the top with the green url ending with NW99273pdf.aspx.

2. For a bit lighter reading, in the Feb. 2010 issue of Four Wheeler Magazine the author takes this work and summarizes it. The article is titled: Automatic and Power Steering Filters. Keeping Your Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Alive Forever. The link is: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...ssion_and_power_steering_filters/viewall.html

Oops! This thread may have gone off track a bit by me as it was originally about fuel filters. Perhaps further discussion on automatic transmission and power steering filters should have their own thread?

11. Nov 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    paid4c4

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    Taco 09, it might have gotten a little of course but as the OP I found it interesting and informative.
    Bill

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    rydaniels

rydaniels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl manual
    bone stock except tool box in bed
    to my knowledge toyota over engineered the fuel filter to outlast the truck. I know there is a post about it and i cannot locate it at the moment, but it is on the forum. Essentially IIRC, the fuel filter is way over engineered and will last the life of the truck. Toyota originally redesigned the filter and had it in the engine bay and stated in the manual that it need not be changed. People we still changing it and the fuel system was advanced in that the removal and replacement of the filter was causing fuel system issues. even when they disguised the fuel filter people were still tinkering so they had to hide it in the gas tank. I also looked in my manual and it doest say anywhere, at what interval the fuel filter should be replaced or serviced...fwiw

Products Discussed in

To Top