Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Truck won't start, help!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
oliverlove will become famous soon enough

Name: Oliver
oliverlove's Tacoma Gallery
Truck won't start, help!

Hey guys, I need some help. My 2001 2.7L is giving me serious issues. The truck won't start. This started about a month or so ago, some days it works great, some days it won't.

Some days when I disconnect the battery I can jump start it, but it wont do anything from its own battery. Other days nothing works.

This morning, I walked out and it started right up. I shut her down, and tried again. Nothing. I heard a click, and a crackling sound. So I pulled everything I thought it could be and went to Oriellys. They tested the battery, alternator and starter. All came back clean, and good to go. Now I have no idea what could wrong.

What else could it be?!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
maybe a ground issue?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a starter contact issue or a bad connection.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like a dead spot in the starter or a bad wire going from the batter to the starter. Could lead to an intermittent problem like you're having.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
If the battery is healthy (not sulfated or low on distilled water) and fully charged, and the charging system is healthy, then check the solenoid contacts, all the electrical connections for corrosion or oxidation, and the starter brushes. If you battery has gone for long periods (over two weeks) parked, the battery could be partially sulfated and the colder temperatures are affecting it's performance. Please see Section 16 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ for more information on sulfation.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
That crackling sound is unsettling... disconnect the battery (negative connection is the first one taken off and the last one put on) and make sure all the cables and electrical connections are tight... starter, alternator, ground, fusebox, etc.