Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Looking for a truck

Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Richards is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
Richards's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a truck

Hey lil truck owners! I just sold my 97' f250 crew powerstroker! It had 295,000 miles and stayed parked because I have been driving my 03' TDI wagon. This site is somewhat similar to the TDI club.
I have been looking for the 4cyl 4x4 access cab and am thinking this will be a good truck when needed. I know that this next question is not a good one to ask here, what about the chevy canyon?--- I am 99% leaning to the Taco 4cyl. Is auto okay on the 4cyl? @ 100% I am wanting the manual! My TDI is manual and am loving it!
Thanks for any input!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
scaplus is on a distinguished road

scaplus's Tacoma Gallery
You're probably going to get a biased answer here but all the problems people have with Canyon speaks for itself, transmission issues, electrical problems, and the cost to repair every little bit is not worth the money. You can do a little research and you'll see why. They're just poorly built.

As for the Taco 4-Cyl, the auto is decent but people here prefer the manual. I do like the auto because it is convenient but really, it's all preference. On the 4-Cyl, you do get great MPG's and an engine that has been time-tested and reliable (some people already have 300K+ on the same engine). If you're looking for power, the 6-Cyl is better but it is the best 4-Cyl midsized truck you're going to get, with the fact that Toyota is the only one to offer a 4X4 option on it, I believe.

EDIT: Are you asking about the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards View Post
Hey lil truck owners! I just sold my 97' f250 crew powerstroker! It had 295,000 miles and stayed parked because I have been driving my 03' TDI wagon. This site is somewhat similar to the TDI club.
I have been looking for the 4cyl 4x4 access cab and am thinking this will be a good truck when needed. I know that this next question is not a good one to ask here, what about the chevy canyon?--- I am 99% leaning to the Taco 4cyl. Is auto okay on the 4cyl? @ 100% I am wanting the manual! My TDI is manual and am loving it!
Thanks for any input!
I love my 4banger 5spd 4x4 access cab. Awesome in the snow, fun to drive and 21mpg around town. Can't go wrong with the reliability either.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
Richards is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
Richards's Tacoma Gallery
EDIT: Are you asking about the Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon?[/QUOTE]

I was asking about one of them, I guess I didn't line them up right! but I am with you on-they are not reliable.

I guess I really want to know the thoughts on auto verses manual, would prefer manual but if the right truck come up in the area and it was auto,-might be tempted.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Auto is a little more "gutless" in the sense that you have less control over where you want the rpms etc than you would with a manual. Manual is preferred by the majority on here for various reasons. A toyota 4 cyl with 5 speed manual is a good combo for reliability for sure.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Auto is a little more "gutless" in the sense that you have less control over where you want the rpms etc than you would with a manual. Manual is preferred by the majority on here for various reasons. A toyota 4 cyl with 5 speed manual is a good combo for reliability for sure.
I dont agree with manual being prefered by users here. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against manuals, I have driven many. I just enjoy my auto much more.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Def go manual with the 4 banger, can maximize all the power out of the little bugger that way. They got some snort to em though, don't think for one minute Toyota makes a gutless 4 banger. The 5 speed shifts nice too, some people complain about Tacoma manuals being clunky, but they are truck transmissions so thats kinda part of the deal. Compared to old trucks from the 70s on back, they are smooth as butter imo. Happy hunting and good luck!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
I dont agree with manual being prefered by users here. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against manuals, I have driven many. I just enjoy my auto much more.
I think he just meant 4 banger guys, the V6 is pro auto, majority of them on here are automatic, most 4 bangers here are manual. If I had a V6 it would for sure be an auto, the chirpy T/O bearing issue with the 6 speed would drive me insane, same with the crappy mileage.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I think he just meant 4 banger guys, the V6 is pro auto, majority of them on here are automatic, most 4 bangers here are manual. If I had a V6 it would for sure be an auto, the chirpy T/O bearing issue with the 6 speed would drive me insane, same with the crappy mileage.
my bad. I thought he was refering to all tacos. Yes I would agree that manual is the way to go on a 4 banger.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #11
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by david2011sr5 View Post
I went with the manual and am very pleased.
Agreed 100%
Old 10-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the manual 4-banger and couldn't be happier. In reference to the Colorado, we have one at our office. It's got 150k on it and it has the following problems:
- Stalls at just about every traffic light. Has been to the shop many times and nobody can tell us why.
- Drivers seat has not held up worth a damn. The guy who it's assigned to is about 5' 6" and maybe 175 lbs. The drivers seat feels like you're sitting on a kitchen chair it's so worn out.
- It's become a bad rattle trap.

Personally, I like the idea of a 5-cylinder engine but that one isn't holding up well.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion it depends on if you want the regular cab or the access cab when it comes to tranny choice. The reg cab manuals only come with a bench seat, which is horribly uncomfortable for most people especially if you have passengers. The auto comes with nice buckets and a center consol.

On the access cab both models come with the same front buckets seating setup. Overall, id say automatic regular cab but manual access cab.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
Agreed 100%
How do you like going from your double cab to the access cab? Did you trade your 2012 in for the 2013? The reason I ask is because, I was thinking of selling my truck to get rid of payments since I found a 2012 access cab, 4x4, 4 cyl, manual with 15,000 miles that I can get for $20,000.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
I've got the manual 4-banger and couldn't be happier. In reference to the Colorado, we have one at our office. It's got 150k on it and it has the following problems:
- Stalls at just about every traffic light. Has been to the shop many times and nobody can tell us why.
- Drivers seat has not held up worth a damn. The guy who it's assigned to is about 5' 6" and maybe 175 lbs. The drivers seat feels like you're sitting on a kitchen chair it's so worn out.
- It's become a bad rattle trap.

Personally, I like the idea of a 5-cylinder engine but that one isn't holding up well.
Seems to be the case with Silverados too, I've been in a couple early to mid 2000's models and the interiors are just a wreck. Something about an uneven number of cylinders in a car deters me, idk why, but just don't seem right. Small 1 cylinder engines in motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc are excluded from this scenario, but in vehicles it just seems off the wall.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Eddie98 is on a distinguished road
Eddie98's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my first Taco over a month ago. it took me 4 months to find the one i wanted down to the color. Upgraded from a 93 Ranger with 300k+ miles. I get 23 mpg on my 09 SR5, prerunner, access cab.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
I'll buck the trend...I like the auto in my 4cyl access cab. But then the older I get the lazier I get too....
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.sight.picture View Post
my bad. I thought he was refering to all tacos. Yes I would agree that manual is the way to go on a 4 banger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
I4, 5-speed. 2nd Gen V6, Auto. 1st gen V6, either.

I've owned an auto and 6-speed 2nd gen V6 and while I prefer a MT, in this scenario the AT wins all day, hands down

Went from a Chevy V8 on 35s to a couple 1GRFEs, auto and manual, down to a 22R-E and love the 4 banger the best!