Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Oil Catch Can

Old 10-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Navy: AS2
Name: Chad
chaddawkins's Tacoma Gallery
Oil Catch Can

Is there any need for an OIL CATCH CAN, as found in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...all-guide.html
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Well from the pics it kept some of that guys crud from ending up in the intake or wherever it goes back into the system on a Tacoma.

I put one in my 350Z I had a few years ago and it had a shit load of oil in it, even though some say they were only needed on turbo'd and not NA applications. It won't hurt anything to have one.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I have searched for info and not found any specific to oil catch cans on the 2TR-FE 2.7L. Has anyone installed a catch can on their 2nd gen 2.7?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
chaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud ofchaddawkins has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
Well from the pics it kept some of that guys crud from ending up in the intake or wherever it goes back into the system on a Tacoma.

I put one in my 350Z I had a few years ago and it had a shit load of oil in it, even though some say they were only needed on turbo'd and not NA applications. It won't hurt anything to have one.
yeah, that's what i'm thinking
Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Normally aspirated, it's not a big deal.
Turbo/supercharged, you'll get more blowby from the higher cylinder pressures and that can cause higher PCV flow and a catch can becomes more of a useful item rather than a "whiz bang" thing.

High performance engines running higher RPM than a stock Tacoma? Ya... they'll help.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Yeah, I'm thinking the blowby will increase with mileage; and added oil in an aging engine can't be good. The more wear on the engine, the more benefit the can will provide. idk, i may still add it just because it'll give me something to do. it can easily be deleted, don't think it can hurt anything, as long as it's air tight
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddawkins View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking the blowby will increase with mileage; and added oil in an aging engine can't be good. The more wear on the engine, the more benefit the can will provide. idk, i may still add it just because it'll give me something to do. it can easily be deleted, don't think it can hurt anything, as long as it's air tight

Let me know if you ever need something else to do and install a vacuum gauge.

I have been trying to figure out where I can tap my leftover vacuum gauge to on my '09 4 banger. My Tacoma doesn't seem to have the handy little port that my Z had on the Plenum.