LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Ordering 4.88s soon!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Ordering 4.88s soon!

Vehicle: 2011 2.7 RC 4x4 manual
33x12.50 nitto mud grapplers
16,000 miles

So my clutch is starting to show signs of slippage when going into 3rd and i have read that a regear would give me back my stock power and take some pain off the shitty stock clutch lol.

I am hopefully gonna order them within 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has a write up for em or if i need to order/buy any special parts/tools?
Im pretty mechanically inclined and know it should be pretty simple but im just double checking its as easy as I think it'll be lol

And im not ordering a locker for a while.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
Wildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWildlandtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
Wildlandtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Your also gunna need the master install kit comes with seals other little things and then if your gunna attempt todo this yourself id say don't do it only if you have done gears before and now how on setting up the backlash. If you go to a shop make sure it's a shop that knows Toyota gear and have been around for a while because if its not installed right its just gunna screw up your gears
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Your also gunna need the master install kit comes with seals other little things and then if your gunna attempt todo this yourself id say don't do it only if you have done gears before and now how on setting up the backlash. If you go to a shop make sure it's a shop that knows Toyota gear and have been around for a while because if its not installed right its just gunna screw up your gears
Well ive never done gears myself but ive seen some write ups for others and stuff and doesnt seem too hard.
It would kill me to pay $300+ to have someone else install em when with proper instructions i know i could handle it myself.

I didnt know about the master install kit thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Call up East Coast Gear Supply and tell them you need 4.88 front and rear gears as well as the master install kits. They are the best and can answer any question you have, just about guaranteed.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Goatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dillon
Goatus's Tacoma Gallery
Lockers while you're in there? I would love to do this but cant justify the $ and mpg loss from tires/regear.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
After getting larger tires a regear typically gives better mpgs in town, on the highway is a different story depending if your climbing hill country or cruisin flatlands, higher rpms are either good or bad there
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Goatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of lightGoatus is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dillon
Goatus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
After getting larger tires a regear typically gives better mpgs in town, on the highway is a different story depending if your climbing hill country or cruisin flatlands, higher rpms are either good or bad there
For sure, I meant going from stock to larger tires and regear dings mpg (ive read only by 1-3ish). If I had 5 grand to spend I would love to get lift/wheels/tires/lockers/gears and such but seeing as I drive 600-800 miles a week currently I just cant justify it.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Vehicle: 2011 2.7 RC 4x4 manual
33x12.50 nitto mud grapplers
16,000 miles

So my clutch is starting to show signs of slippage when going into 3rd and i have read that a regear would give me back my stock power and take some pain off the shitty stock clutch lol.

I am hopefully gonna order them within 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone has a write up for em or if i need to order/buy any special parts/tools?
Im pretty mechanically inclined and know it should be pretty simple but im just double checking its as easy as I think it'll be lol

And im not ordering a locker for a while.
Please, whatever you do, do not "install" the gears into the differentials without the help of a real mechanic. It is not something that a shade tree guy should be doing.
It's one thing to remove/ install the differentials by yourself, but its a whole different ball game setting up the gears.

Here's some stuff to keep you reading for days..
http://www.gearinstalls.com/

Go here and just buy the assembled 3rd's with 5 year warranties.
Save yourself a lot of headache.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-622...lamshells.html
Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab

a tech i work with installs gears alot and said he'd help me install mine so now i atleast know i have help when i get em
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
a tech i work with installs gears alot and said he'd help me install mine so now i atleast know i have help when i get em
Kase if you got help on the install that will be a break $.When you get it done you will be amazed at the difference.Just had mine done.Best thing I could have done far as saving my clutch.Love the torque to.And good luck with your surgery.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
acidfly has a spectacular aura aboutacidfly has a spectacular aura aboutacidfly has a spectacular aura about
Navy:
Name: Kevin
acidfly's Tacoma Gallery
I just bit the bullet on 4:88s and an ARB locker. Cost wasn't too bad, just shop around... the lack of down shifting will be worth imo
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked this guy up for $700!

4.88s with 2,500 miles.