Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Mpg and offroad tires.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
I really want the 235/85 size. I will look at my options though. Any other good weekend warrior tires that may lean more toward the mpg side?
As someone else pointed out, tires in that size are all load range E. They are designed for HD trucks, are very heavy, and will not return good mpgs.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
What about General Grabbers? I really want to keep my 26mpg for sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Just whatever you do, dont get mud grapplers if you want to see over 15mpg
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnTRD View Post
Your 285's weigh 65 lbs each?? I just looked online earlier and a 315/75/16 Goodyear MTR is 63 pounds
according to FED EX when i got them from treadwright, they were 65 each. and my mpg went from good to suck, so i believe it.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
Cooper Discoverer AT3 come in that size at a lighter weight iirc.
Thanks, I was just looking at tires on Tirerack and I know they dont carry Coopers. I just found another tire to research. Anyone run the AT3s?? How are they?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Thanks, I was just looking at tires on Tirerack and I know they dont carry Coopers. I just found another tire to research. Anyone run the AT3s?? How are they?
Dude... check the manufacturers' websites. I have yet to find a 235/85R16 that is not load range E (Coopers are no exception). There is a reason for this: they are made for duallies. You ain't getting 26mpg with E's.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #27

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
What about with 255 85s?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #28
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Man, honestly. No matter what size you get, in the end grippy tires are gonna hurt your mpg. Not tryin to be a dick but if youre worried about MPG's then offroad tires arent for you. Theyre all gonna hurt your gas mileage. Majority of us with 4bangers and mudgrips are getting 15-18mpg on stock gears.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
My wheel (18lbs) plus my tire (40lbs) weigh in at only 58lbs per

Need it with the 22R-E though, lighter weight makes a world of a difference
Yup! This.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about with 255 85s?
Problem with the skinny tires, that size in particular, is you need a heavier sidewall and the 255/85 mostly come in Mud Terrains
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #31

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Well what do guys think is a good compromise between mpg and light to moderate off road use? In 235 or any other size? Thanks so much
Old 11-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #32
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I don't think you stand A chance to keep your MPGs with a 4 banger man. Not enough torque. You'll drop down like the rest of us. Especially if you look into M/Ts. I dropped 2-3 MPG city and 1-2 highway with my mud terrains and I have the V6. You're gonna drop even more without the torque to spin bigger tires.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #34
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
305/70/16 bf KO,16x12 rim=14.6mpg no freeway here alot of stop and go
Have you factored in speedo error? That mileage is low as shit!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #35
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
I went with P265/75R16 Michelin LTX MS2 tires. I lost roughly 1/2mpg from what I can tell from the first 10 tanks.
I am not sure that the same tire in LT235/85R16 would have been much different since they are slightly narrower but slightly heavier.
The MS2 is not an aggressive tread pattern, so that helps a lot.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #36
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
305/70/16 bf KO,16x12 rim=14.6mpg no freeway here alot of stop and go
x2.
2.7l 4cyl 4x4
33x12.5/17 nitto mud grapplers = 15.2 highway and about 12 city
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
OP, IMO your best bet is P265/75R16 (standard load). My mileage stayed the same when I swapped to Hankook A/Ts in this size.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #40
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
265/75 16
BFG KM2
Ultra gauge says 25 "avg mpg"