Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Mpg and offroad tires.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Mpg and offroad tires.

I finally got my Tacoma and whant to upgrade from the dunflops. I reall like the look of 235/85R16 tires, and also like Duratrac's. Is this a good combo for keeping my 25mpg on the highway? How do skinny tires effect highway MPG?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
tubesock is on a distinguished road
tubesock's Tacoma Gallery
I just upgraded my dunlop at20's to a set of 235/85 hankook ATM's. If you can wait a week or so I can give you 1 tank worth of mpg data. So far I have noticed, as have many others, that now my speedometer is reading exactly right, and my odometer is reading about 5% short. I'll factor in that difference when I calculate my mileage.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
I am running the 235's on my rig and i am getting bad mileage. But I have a lead foot
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
I am running the 235's on my rig and i am getting bad mileage. But I have a lead foot
and a v6.

and jeez OP... you think you like to smoke dope or what?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
and a v6.

Yes but 14 mpg
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
Yes but 14 mpg
i get about 15... but i have 285's.

and drive 30 miles one way up the interstate to work. and set cruise to 73 every day.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
That size on Tirerack is almost exclusively E load range which is heavy=mpg killer.
51 pounds in Duratrac
My 265-75-16 C range Duratracs are 45 pounds each.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
That size on Tirerack is almost exclusively E load range which is heavy=mpg killer.
51 pounds in Duratrac
My 265-75-16 C range Duratracs are 45 pounds each.
mine wiegh like 65lbs
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot more factors that width. You have tread pattern (rolling resistance), load rating (weight), and difference in height will affect your odo reading so you'll have to correct when figuring MPGs. Duratracs are a great tire, but not lightweight/LRR really.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
mine wiegh like 65lbs
My wheel (18lbs) plus my tire (40lbs) weigh in at only 58lbs per

Need it with the 22R-E though, lighter weight makes a world of a difference
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
My wheel (18lbs) plus my tire (40lbs) weigh in at only 58lbs per

Need it with the 22R-E though, lighter weight makes a world of a difference

yea that 65lbs is just TIRE. dont even want to think about it with the wheel. they are re-treads so i guess thats how it is. they are load range D.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

Wow, ha if they weigh in at about 25 thats 90# per tire and wider obviously = greater rolling resistance. Sounds like reason enough to Supercharge it to me
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and a v6.

I do like smoking, its better than drinking everyday. I will change it now that I have a Tacoma and can put something actually worth while.

Anyways, wouldn't a skinnier tire cut through the wind? What is the weight of the stock steelies? How about other Tacoma alloy wheels?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #15

Did our banter help OP? ha
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #16

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Twas a little excessive, its not like im Willie Nelson.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea that 65lbs is just TIRE. dont even want to think about it with the wheel. they are re-treads so i guess thats how it is. they are load range D.
Your 285's weigh 65 lbs each?? I just looked online earlier and a 315/75/16 Goodyear MTR is 63 pounds
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Just get 265/75R16s in standard load. Essentially the same diameter as 235/85R16 and you won't lose mileage if you stick to a relatively mild all terrain. With Duratracs I'm not sure you can maintain 25mpg.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #19

Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I really want the 235/85 size. I will look at my options though. Any other good weekend warrior tires that may lean more toward the mpg side?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #20

Cooper Discoverer AT3 come in that size at a lighter weight iirc.