Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Clutch Start Problems

Old 11-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
CBurrows is on a distinguished road
CBurrows's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Start Problems

Hey guys,

So I recently bought a 2011 4cyl, manual Tacoma and am loving it!

One issue though. The truck doesn't seem to recognize that the clutch is engaged unless I really step on the pedal. Not a problem for regular driving but for putting the truck in 4L or starting it (I usually just press clutch start cancel) I have to really step on it.

Any thoughts what could be causing this?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Backroadbomber is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Backroadbomber's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 reg cab 4cyl 4wd and have the same problem. Well it's not really a problem just kind of a pita. I can't even begin to count the number of times it cranked 1/2 turn and then stopped because I let off the pedal a touch. I'm assuming there has to be an adjustment on the safety switch. If you find one be sure to let us know. Ill look at my truck tomarrow in the daylight.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
hillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbilly taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tommy
hillbilly taco's Tacoma Gallery
If you have thick floor mats pull them back a little and start it see if this makes a difference.I had same problem on my 09 sounds crazy but that was the problem.Our clutches have to bottom out to start.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroadbomber View Post
I have a 2011 reg cab 4cyl 4wd and have the same problem. Well it's not really a problem just kind of a pita. I can't even begin to count the number of times it cranked 1/2 turn and then stopped because I let off the pedal a touch. I'm assuming there has to be an adjustment on the safety switch. If you find one be sure to let us know. Ill look at my truck tomarrow in the daylight.
I do that all the time. If you just come up on it a touch it kills it.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
It likes to be pushed all the way to the floor when starting or engaging 4 lo, its a safety thing. Something the government mandated I think because before, any manual car could be started in neutral without the clutch down, but I think people kept turning into space cadets and trying to start them in gear and started running into things all the time is what did it.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
motoretro has a spectacular aura aboutmotoretro has a spectacular aura about
motoretro's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to really compress the carpet w/ pedal to get mine to start, have a bad ankle so took it into dealer and mechanic looked it over and was able to slide switch a bit in bracket slot allowing for a easier start.
Motoretro