Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Starting my 4 banger

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Starting my 4 banger

I recently read a thread regarding different ways people start their 4 bangers. I decided to try some of the things listed and my own trail and errors. The best combination I've found which has cut my cranking time in half is: Turn key to the on position and allow the fuel pump to charge or pressurize the fuel system. Then I turn the key to start and at the same time press the gas peddle just a small amount. The engine starts right up, every time. In the past it always started right up when cold, but when making short trips it always cracked more than when cold. I guess each engine is a little different in the way they start and operate.
Bill
Old 11-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Are you describing a way to get a *warm* engine to start more quickly? I think that's what I read, just wanted to confirm. It is strange that these engines need more cranking when warm than when cold, doesn't make much sense to me. But I will try your hot-start method and see if it makes a difference.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Are you describing a way to get a *warm* engine to start more quickly? I think that's what I read, just wanted to confirm. It is strange that these engines need more cranking when warm than when cold, doesn't make much sense to me. But I will try your hot-start method and see if it makes a difference.
Yes, I'm talking about starting a hot/warm engine. I've been very happy with the posted results.
Bill
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
All I ever do it press the clutch & turn the key.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
slo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslo13zx3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
slo13zx3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
All I ever do it press the clutch & turn the key.
x2
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
bishard is on a distinguished road
bishard's Tacoma Gallery
My 3rz always starts up with barely any crank when cold and a little more crankin when hot.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
+4
Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
SitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to all
Name: TC
SitkaSpruceMica's Tacoma Gallery
Turn your A/C off when you park? Warm restart will be faster.

TC
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitkaSpruceMica View Post
Turn your A/C off when you park? Warm restart will be faster.

TC
Why? AC doesn't engage until after engine has started.