Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

2.7 4 cylinder automatic

Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
ChadXTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Chad
ChadXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 4 cylinder automatic

Im in the market for a new taco and i want the fuel sipping 2.7 4 cylinder. i was wondering if the 4 cylinder automatic is worth my money. i dont want to drive a manual anymore, i have been for 3 years now im tired of it. i am going to get just a prerunner not a 4x4
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 2.7 4 cylinder with automatic in a regular cab 2011. Overal, I have been very pleased with it. I like the "slap shift" for the overdrive function and use it often. The short wheelbase of the regular cab makes it VERY fun to drive.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
FOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud ofFOUR X FOUR DUDE. has much to be proud of
Name: Barry
FOUR X FOUR DUDE.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I have a 2011 reg cab 4x4 auto with the 2.7 with 10,000 mi. I get about 20 mpg combined. It's gutless as hell-o but I love it. My girlfriend says it has plenty of poop.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 Extended cab with an automatic 4 cylinder and love it. It won't pull stumps, and it won't break the speed record at Bonneville but it does pass gas stations and its fun to drive. I'll think you'll like one.
Bill
Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Do it up!

I just got my 2010 2.7 4 speed auto, 2wd. Went from a 2006 Chevy Colorado and this one has just as much oomph, plus it revs lower so I went from 18 to 22-23mpg city. I'm not winning the Indy 500 but stoplight to stoplight it can move out good enough.

What makes me laugh is I believe it's around 160hp. Comparison, my 84 Camaro V8 was 170hp..come a long way with that stuff..

Oh yeah both the trucks were/are regular cab
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
ChadXTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Chad
ChadXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Do it up!

I just got my 2010 2.7 4 speed auto, 2wd. Went from a 2006 Chevy Colorado and this one has just as much oomph, plus it revs lower so I went from 18 to 22-23mpg city. I'm not winning the Indy 500 but stoplight to stoplight it can move out good enough.

What makes me laugh is I believe it's around 160hp. Comparison, my 84 Camaro V8 was 170hp..come a long way with that stuff..

Oh yeah both the trucks were/are regular cab
does it have enough power to make a pass on the highway or pull out in front of sombody?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Mr. Pick is on a distinguished road

Mr. Pick's Tacoma Gallery
Been happy with my '12 Access cab, 2wd, 4cyl, automatic. Like you, I've owned several stick shifts through the years, but just too lazy to fool them these days. I'd make the same purchase again if I were buying right now.

Best bet is to head to your local dealer and drive one and see for yourself what you think.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadXTacoma View Post
does it have enough power to make a pass on the highway or pull out in front of sombody?

Sure does. Don't even have to floorboard it or drop it into 3rd on the highway.

That said, even at 40 or so mine can just cruise around 1500-1600 rpm so it is a gas saver, but when the need calls for it you can dip into it for quick response.

Wish you lived a little closer I'd have you go for a ride in mine..but seriously, go test drive one now even if you're not buying right away and see what you think, I would believe you'll like it.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Good example, this morning on my way to work I was at a light. When it went green the other side tried to inch out and take a left in front of me. I say tried to for a reason haha,only put it down about halfway and just zipped right by him.

I do drive the highway at least once a week, had to just yesterday to pick up trophies for my part time job..had no issue at all getting on and merging in past the flow of it.

First night I had it, my friend and I went to RI for a wrestling show. Wasn't even paying attention on the way home to my speed till he told me I was going 85, I usually don't go over 70..and had balls enough at any time to pass.

The days of a 4 banger always being a slug are over..and I owned a couple of them in my younger years trust me.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadXTacoma View Post
Yes to both questions. Time for a test drive at your local dealership.
Bill
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
My only thought was maybe the extra weight of an ext cab might be an issue, but that's what paid4c4 has and he is of the same mind as I am.

Agreed, take one for a drive. Just say you're shopping around for trucks, nothing more, and this is the first place you wanted to check out.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
(Not the real George Strait)
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
i love mine. It is slow as a dry doodoo tho
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
4 Cylinder Automatic

My 2 cents:

Most of the time, I'm really not aware of not having enough power. For regular driving, the gearing, power and torque are well matched. If you are waiting at a stop sign for a spot to pull out, better to have a larger gap than to try to slip into a smaller spot to be safer and curteous.

Same as the others above...enough power to get the job done with some to spare.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 Regular Cab Automatic and am very pleased with it. Acceleration is good (not great), I have no trouble maintaining 75 on I-25, even up hill. Plus I average 24-26 MPG on regular fuel. My only regret is I didn't get the Access Cab. Like everyone says, take one for a test drive.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
clarksas is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
clarksas's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my 2013 Tacoma Regular Automatic. I really enjoy it. It has enough power for what it is. My previous vehicle was a manual and so I have a question about the speeds and shifting in the automatic. Of course, do most of the driving in D position. I see that the owner's manual shows 3,2 and L for engine braking. I was a big fan of engine braking in the manual (downshifting) and I do it on the motorcycle. How often do you use this in your automatic? Do you shift and it was situations do you get use out of these speeds?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Only time I use low gear is if I'm in snow..maybe.

I never downshift an automatic, you really shouldn't unless driving down a steep hill for a long time so you don't fry the brakes.

Engine braking even with a stick isn't always wise, you use the clutch which is more $$ to replace than the brakes. That said I've never owned a stick.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Engine braking even with a stick isn't always wise, you use the clutch which is more $$ to replace than the brakes. That said I've never owned a stick.
The clutch doesn't wear using a stick for engine braking.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
The clutch doesn't wear using a stick for engine braking.
Yep, truck drivers do it all the time and get hundreds of thousands miles on their clutches. I always engine brake, always have since I started driving, I jump in an automatic vehicle and feel weird laying on the brakes all the time. Some habits die hard I guess.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
SitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to allSitkaSpruceMica is a name known to all
Name: TC
SitkaSpruceMica's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2013 Access Cab 4x4 with a 2.7L and Auto......LOVE IT!!
A Tacoma isn't the right vehicle to worry about having a ton of power imo.

TC