Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

First trip

Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
06 4cyl 5sp SR5 is on a distinguished road
06 4cyl 5sp SR5's Tacoma Gallery
First trip

Just got back from a 250 miles trip. Probably half highway miles at 70mph with cruise and half twisting up and down roads through Noel Mo. into Arkansas. Averaged 21.5mph so not to bad, hoping to get better on my flat daily commute of 60 miles round trip, I usually don't get in a big hurry to work so only run about 65 most of the time. Have discovered my speedo is about 5 mph off at 70 indicated by my iphone GPS. Anyone know how accurate an iphone GPS app is ?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
GPS is only accurate if you are sitting still.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
GPS is only accurate if you are sitting still.
Actually I think it's been proven that GPS speeds are more accurate, with the Garmin units at least.

I believe it's common knowledge that these Tacoma's do run their speedo a bit slower; when I had a Tacoma it was indeed 5mph slower; I had a V6 so throwing on larger tires corrected that.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate the iPhone app is, but it wouldn't surprise me that it'd be more accurate than the speedo.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer readings

My experience: speedo reads higher than actual speed at normal driving speeds.

True on all of my vehicles and confirmed by my Ultraguage and the occassional side-of-road radar systems the police setup in places where they want to control the speed of traffic.

But tire size will impact that reading and the error I experience is nonlinear. I don't run the vehicle about 70 or so on the speedo, but the error on my Tacoma starts out somewhere around 30 mph on up through 70 mph. At lower speeds, the speedo might even understate my actual speed.

Do the studies and learn your curves. Good luck!!