1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First trip

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 06 4cyl 5sp SR5, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Nov 17, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    06 4cyl 5sp SR5

06 4cyl 5sp SR5 [OP] Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4cyl 5spd man. 4x4
    Just got back from a 250 miles trip. Probably half highway miles at 70mph with cruise and half twisting up and down roads through Noel Mo. into Arkansas. Averaged 21.5mph so not to bad, hoping to get better on my flat daily commute of 60 miles round trip, I usually don't get in a big hurry to work so only run about 65 most of the time. Have discovered my speedo is about 5 mph off at 70 indicated by my iphone GPS. Anyone know how accurate an iphone GPS app is ?

2. Nov 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    GPS is only accurate if you are sitting still.

3. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Actually I think it's been proven that GPS speeds are more accurate, with the Garmin units at least.

I believe it's common knowledge that these Tacoma's do run their speedo a bit slower; when I had a Tacoma it was indeed 5mph slower; I had a V6 so throwing on larger tires corrected that.

I'm not sure exactly how accurate the iPhone app is, but it wouldn't surprise me that it'd be more accurate than the speedo.

4. Nov 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Rackster

Rackster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '04 E/cab 4x4 2.7 Auto SR5
    My experience: speedo reads higher than actual speed at normal driving speeds.

True on all of my vehicles and confirmed by my Ultraguage and the occassional side-of-road radar systems the police setup in places where they want to control the speed of traffic.

But tire size will impact that reading and the error I experience is nonlinear. I don't run the vehicle about 70 or so on the speedo, but the error on my Tacoma starts out somewhere around 30 mph on up through 70 mph. At lower speeds, the speedo might even understate my actual speed.

Do the studies and learn your curves. Good luck!!

Products Discussed in

To Top