Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Opinions on my OCI?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
The Shape's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on my OCI?

I know 6 months or 5K miles is recommended in the manual. I have about 8 months on this oil change but a little less than 3K miles. It's filled with Motocraft Synthetic blend and a WIX filter. Run it till closer to 5K or change it out? Oil looks like new.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Change
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Oil changes

I suggest that you do some investigation on line to learn about oil (natural and synthetic). Try Bob is the oil guy at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Lots to read...lots to learn. What I think you'll find is that the petroleum guys want to you follow the old rule of thumb and change every 3000 miles (more money in their pockets). It's the old....aged...paradigm. Natural and especially synthetics and synthetic blends will last for much longer. However, there are lots of factors that go into having to change sooner than later (e.g. heavy offroad, towing, high temperatures....).

Then there is the manufacturer's recommendation, warranty requirements to consider. Review these carefully. Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
I suggest that you do some investigation on line to learn about oil (natural and synthetic). Try Bob is the oil guy at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Lots to read...lots to learn. What I think you'll find is that the petroleum guys want to you follow the old rule of thumb and change every 3000 miles (more money in their pockets). It's the old....aged...paradigm. Natural and especially synthetics and synthetic blends will last for much longer. However, there are lots of factors that go into having to change sooner than later (e.g. heavy offroad, towing, high temperatures....).

Then there is the manufacturer's recommendation, warranty requirements to consider. Review these carefully. Good luck!!
+1 great info!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
The Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud ofThe Shape has much to be proud of
Yeah I have spent a lot of time on bobistheoilguy thats what made me start using the motocraft synthetic blend years ago. It got really high praise over there
Old 11-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
SimpleTaco is on a distinguished road
SimpleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Compared to to 60's, most of our miles are long distance (Running leaner) than before. Everything (Work) was closer back then so the oil got contaminated faster with piston blow-by rich fuel.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That little mileage, I'm assuming a lot of short hops.

Change it.

Conventional or synthetic, it won't stop the effects of condensation and acid/combustion byproducts.

Oil doesn't "go bad" with age (it will oxidize long term)... the 5000 mile or 6-month recommendation is based on the low-mileage driver not adequately warming up their engine and keeping it hot for an hour or so every week or so.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Yeah I guess I will just go ahead and do it. Can you buy the drain plug gaskets to fit our trucks at advance auto/autozone ect.?? I noticed mine was looking a little ragged last time I did an oil change
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2796493&page=1

Rich may raise a valid concern, so the research may bear out the details. Interesting - the link above links back to a member here who turned 300K on his vehicle - may want to reach out to this member for some feedback

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...les-today.html
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Went ahead and swapped it out with mobile 1 5w20 and a M1-102 filter
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice.

But instead of paying $12+ for the M1 filter, just pick up a case of OEM filters from Camelback or Titus-Will.
The OEM oil filter is as good or better than the M1 (more filter media), and 1/3rd the price.

Cost me $88 to have 20 filters shipped.

http://parts.camelbacktoyota.com/par...bgroup=FILTERS

http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyot...n=1&type=parts
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Nice, I will have to order some for next time