Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

One fog light brighter than other... Put in new 9145's (didn't help)?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
One fog light brighter than other... Put in new 9145's (didn't help)?

Hi, not sure about this problem. I did the oem fog light installation a while ago on my 4 cylinder. Although since I installed these one light has always appeared brighter than the other?

I bought the two lights out of an oem 2010 (as far as I know). I thought that either the aim was off or one bulb was just tired.

Today I got around to taking a better look at the alignment and all looked good. So I went and bought two new 9145"s and installed them. Guess what, same deal.

The mirror finish on the interior looks the same... I think i know the next step (get a multimeter and check voltage at the bulbs) this isn't making sense Could it be the aftermarket (eBay) relay?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Prolly need to align the light bulb
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps a wire connector has some resistance due to rust or a poor connection.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
It could be the relay, if the contact points are corroded or making poor contact- I just don't see that your fogs would be on independent relays.

It could be a poor connection, either + or -.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
Alignment... from any angle one will blind you and one won't.

The vehicle was brand new when I installed the set - connectors don't show any corrosion (I taped the connection as well). The connection is solid. However, the harness side of the plug is generic.

Been running like this for over a year but thought I could nip it with a set of new bulbs - No Go.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Can you move the harness enough to plug one harness end to the other lamp and see if the brghtness changes? You mentioned using a generic harness, often that means too small of wire (resistance).
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Thats a great and practical idea. Cant easily flip flop the plugs because it's laced and cable tied very carefully, i also put the yellow jacketed harness iring inide the black ribbed sleeve so it would look factory. I suppose I will need to cut it all loose. The passengers side is the super bright one...

You mentioned resistance, can that be checked at each plug?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Try the swapping of the harness first to see if that makes a difference. You would need a very precise meter (very, very expensive) to read a difference in resistance in that short length of wire.

I just had another thought. Compare both lamp housings to see if they are the same manufacturer. You mentioned you bought them used. Perhaps one is OEM Toyota and the other is a replacement.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Check for corrosion (As you mentioned you did) but include all connections, as well as the ground itself. Swap left bulb with right bulb. If the dimness stays where it was, you HAVE to have a poor connection or corrosion somewhere on that circuit.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I had an intermittent problem with one of mine & it turned out to be the connector. I unplugged it & bent the metal tab on the inside so it would make better contact & haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Canufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to beholdCanufixit is a splendid one to behold

Army: SP5 Army N Guard  Ret
Name: People who call me say "CANUFIXIT"!
Canufixit's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought ...
If It's possible to measure the voltage at both bulbs/connections when they are on?? Tthey should be the same. If not you have a voltage drop (i.e. resistance) on the lower voltage line. If So, continue to measure the voltage (with the bulb on) farther back on the circuit (i.e. each prior connector, the relay , etc.) until they do measure the same. The problem will be between the last good/bad point measured. This way you only need a fairly cheapie volt meter.

Hope this helps ...