Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

Using the Transmission to break

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
paid4c4 is on a distinguished road
paid4c4's Tacoma Gallery
Using the Transmission to break

I was just wondering if I was the only that uses the automatic transmission to slow the vehicle when stopping. Sometimes I move the shifter from D to 3 to slow my taco down when coming to a stop. I also us 2nd gear to hold the vehicle back when going down long hills when needed. Any comments regarding using the transmission this way good or bad.
Bill
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Generally not advised with an automatic unless you need to do it to save the brakes when towing.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
I've done it before. Don't make a habit of it but every now and then. I've heard its only bad because of the excess heat that it creates in the tranny but if you have a TRD model is should have a trans cooler which really helps keep the heat down, so I guess I depends how often you do it
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
When I was a kid, old guys would tell me "you'll blow the seals in yer PowerGlide doin' that". How? "Don't get smart, ya just will"!
I pop mine in to 3rd when going down hill, just to stay closer to the speed limit. I don't use the transmission as an engine brake on a level road. The truck seems to slow down plenty just taking my foot off the gas.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Yes , downshifting or engine braking will create heat within the transmission . All that enegry has to go somewhere . Better to create heat and wear on the brakes rather than the trans . Simply taking your foot off the accelerator seems to have an immediate effect with these trucks mind you. You do get better control of the truck by downshifting through icy corners or long hills .
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #6
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes are cheap, transmissions are not. Other than decending a mountain with a load it is better to just leave it in D IMO
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i do it in mine quite a bit. not problems yet.

i do it mostly if i start into a turn, and realize i’m going just a little to fast. i’ll down shift to slow down.

also i have done it mostly on the tail of the dragon(US129 into NC, 318 curves in 11 miles) i don’t even smell anything and thats shifting in every curve up into NC and back into TN.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I did that all the time with a '94 T100. Never had a problem, but I did put an extra transmission cooler on the truck right after I bought it. Sold the truck with 130k miles. It was still running around town several years later.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the Owner's Manual actually states than you can use the transmission to engine break. Also, it's the engine that's doing the breaking, the transmission's torque converter locks up so how do you guys thing that you building heat in the transmission?