1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rz oil filter reverse thread?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Sloth, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Dec 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    Sloth

Sloth [OP] Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Yes I searched ....

Is the 3rz oil filter reverse thread? I've been trying for about an hour to get the fucker off and it won't budge. I think the dealer had he-man put this thing on. Strap wrench nor filter wrench will budge the thing.

I rented the side of it in, think its alright to fill with oil and drive to a shop to see if they can get it off

2. Dec 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    somebody probly put it on with a filter wrench. You might try drilling a hole from one side to the other and putting a long steel bar through it and use that to twist it off.

3. Dec 16, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    One time this happened to me, I had to use a strip of emery cloth, folded in half, so the strap wrench could get a bite.

4. Dec 16, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Normal thread, BUT remember when you're working under the truck, sometimes your perspective can get reversed... helped a few people repair oil pans on motorcycles because they tightened the drain bolt trying to remove it.

So... laying on your back looking up at the bottom of the filter, you rotate it counter-clockwise. Wrench handle toward the rear of the truck, pull the handle toward the block, not the tire.

5. Dec 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Tommychu

Tommychu Member

Member:
    Channel locks dude. Or as a last resort pound a screwdriver through the side into the inner web (Don't use a swing press to get it in, just a good whack with the heel of your hand should pierce it. That way if you're too high up you won't wreck the threads on filter boss). But try channel locks first, less mess. And if you don't own a pair you should buy one anyway because they're too handy not to have.

6. Dec 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    If It is the original filter from the factory Toyota puts those on pretty darn tight.Mine on the first change was a biatch to get off.

7. Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    Tommychu

Tommychu Member

Member:
    It says 3RZ in the title. If he's just pulling the OEM filter now, he's got more problems than a tight filter. Or he's had it parked for 8-16 years.

8. Dec 19, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    Sloth

Sloth [OP] Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    Haha, no not the OEM filter. And ya, I was turning it the right (correct) way. Ended up trying a different strap wrench, one of the metal band ones instead of the rubber strap one I was using, and was able to get it off after some considerable effort.

This was my first oil change since I bought the truck from a Toyota dealer. I suspect it was a combination of not oiling the gasket/ threads and having Arnold Schwarzenegger put it on.

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to make sure I wasn't tightening it more than it already was.

9. Dec 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I really like these. The harder you have to turn, the tighter they grip, similar to a strap wrench, but you can use them with a socket and extension and they grip better than straps.

ofr.jpg

10. Dec 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM
    Sloth

Sloth [OP] Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I actually fried one of those too. Just couldn't get it to grip. Probably user error, or maybe cause I deformed it using the rubber strap wrench.

11. Dec 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
  12. Dec 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You'd be surprised.

The factory filters on many vehicles are on there as if it's a critical part that is to never be removed.

2006 must have been a bad year, as both my 2006 Silverado/Duramax and my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan, the factory oil filters were on so tight that by the time I got through the progression of hand > cap wrench > strap wrench > oil filter channel-locks > regular channel locks > screwdriver through the case > now the fucking case is destroyed...

I ended up peeling the cases off completely, removing the element, and placing a punch against one of the holes in the base and hammering it off.

Products Discussed in

To Top