Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > 4 Cylinder

Notices

3rz oil filter reverse thread?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
3rz oil filter reverse thread?

Yes I searched ....

Is the 3rz oil filter reverse thread? I've been trying for about an hour to get the fucker off and it won't budge. I think the dealer had he-man put this thing on. Strap wrench nor filter wrench will budge the thing.

I rented the side of it in, think its alright to fill with oil and drive to a shop to see if they can get it off
Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
somebody probly put it on with a filter wrench. You might try drilling a hole from one side to the other and putting a long steel bar through it and use that to twist it off.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
One time this happened to me, I had to use a strip of emery cloth, folded in half, so the strap wrench could get a bite.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Normal thread, BUT remember when you're working under the truck, sometimes your perspective can get reversed... helped a few people repair oil pans on motorcycles because they tightened the drain bolt trying to remove it.

So... laying on your back looking up at the bottom of the filter, you rotate it counter-clockwise. Wrench handle toward the rear of the truck, pull the handle toward the block, not the tire.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Tommychu is on a distinguished road
Tommychu's Tacoma Gallery
Channel locks dude. Or as a last resort pound a screwdriver through the side into the inner web (Don't use a swing press to get it in, just a good whack with the heel of your hand should pierce it. That way if you're too high up you won't wreck the threads on filter boss). But try channel locks first, less mess. And if you don't own a pair you should buy one anyway because they're too handy not to have.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
07regtacoman's Tacoma Gallery
If It is the original filter from the factory Toyota puts those on pretty darn tight.Mine on the first change was a biatch to get off.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Tommychu is on a distinguished road
Tommychu's Tacoma Gallery
It says 3RZ in the title. If he's just pulling the OEM filter now, he's got more problems than a tight filter. Or he's had it parked for 8-16 years.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, no not the OEM filter. And ya, I was turning it the right (correct) way. Ended up trying a different strap wrench, one of the metal band ones instead of the rubber strap one I was using, and was able to get it off after some considerable effort.

This was my first oil change since I bought the truck from a Toyota dealer. I suspect it was a combination of not oiling the gasket/ threads and having Arnold Schwarzenegger put it on.

Thanks for the replies, just wanted to make sure I wasn't tightening it more than it already was.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I really like these. The harder you have to turn, the tighter they grip, similar to a strap wrench, but you can use them with a socket and extension and they grip better than straps.

Attached Thumbnails
3rz oil filter reverse thread?-ofr.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #10

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I actually fried one of those too. Just couldn't get it to grip. Probably user error, or maybe cause I deformed it using the rubber strap wrench.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
put a pair of these on and you get it off.
http://madgriptech.com/shop/performance-pro-palm/
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
put a pair of these on and you get it off.
http://madgriptech.com/shop/performance-pro-palm/
You'd be surprised.

The factory filters on many vehicles are on there as if it's a critical part that is to never be removed.

2006 must have been a bad year, as both my 2006 Silverado/Duramax and my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan, the factory oil filters were on so tight that by the time I got through the progression of hand > cap wrench > strap wrench > oil filter channel-locks > regular channel locks > screwdriver through the case > now the fucking case is destroyed...

I ended up peeling the cases off completely, removing the element, and placing a punch against one of the holes in the base and hammering it off.