1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Header headache

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 3RZforme, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    3RZforme

3RZforme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 4cyl
    I purchased 98 4x4 5spd Tacoma two weeks ago. It has the 2.7L 4 cyl and like many others I have a cracked exhaust manifold. I have read a lot threads about my replacement options and I still find myself having trouble making a decision. My original plan was to just replace it with a factory manifold, however, after reading I am concerned it will just crack and I will be back in the same boat. Does anyone know if they have resolved this issue yet? Did the 01-04 3RZ manifolds have the same problem, and if not will they bolt up to a 98? I'm guessing the answer is no in both cases.

This leads me to aftermarket options which I was trying to avoid. Apparently LCE no longer makes headers for the first gen trucks. I read to many issues with the Doug Thorley headers to feel comfortable purchasing those; their site is lame and doesn't even have a picture of the headers. I like the looks of the northwest off-road headers, but read that a brake line has to bent to make them fit. Is this true? Also, are they loud? Really don't want care to have a loud 4 cylinder truck. My last option are the pacesetter headers. I always considered pacesetter to be low/mid quality manufacturer and so I am skeptical about using their products. The flanges look thin, but I like the fact they are a two piece header. I recently had my catalytic converter stolen and the thief hacked the y-pipe; might be able to just replace the lower section of the pacesetter header if a thief comes for my cat again. It would suck to have to replace a nice header like the northwest off-road product due to cat theft.

Opinions/input appreciated, thanks.

2. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM
    davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
    Does JBA make headers for your year? Look into them. If they do, think seriously about getting them. They are very reputable headers.

3. Dec 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM
    3RZforme

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 4cyl
    Just searched their site and it appears all they offer for my truck is a cat-back. Thanks for the advice though; trying not to leave any stone unturned at this point.

4. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    quiksilver taco

quiksilver taco New Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4 door
    5% tint and 265/70 NittoTerra grapplers.
    I'm having the same issue with my 95 taco I can't seem to find much info on it

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    something to look into, maybe a late model manifold. my 2013 looks like a header, dont know if there inner change. you might just take your manifold to a shop have them flux it, to find any other cracks, see if it can be welded.

6. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    3RZforme

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 4cyl
    I ended up taking my chances and ordering a new OEM manifold through the dealership. I was trying to upload some photos I took of the crack in my original manifold and comparing the differences between the old and new manifolds. However, I don't have net connection at home and have been doing everything through my phone. I can't seem to copy the links to post them in this thread...nor can I see the whole link to try to manually input the link.

If you go to my photo gallery you can check out the photos of the nasty crack in my old manifold; it literally ran about 90-95% of the way around the manifold. The new manifold is definitely a revised casting. There is an additional mold line on the bottom which runs right where the crack formed on the old manifold. There are a couple of differences as well but it would take too long to explain and I would probably just end up confusing people lol..

Check out the photos in my gallery and it will all make sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top